What is the point of companies making pro only spec'd gear?

Max27

I.E. P2 ¨Quick Motion¨ straps on EF3 Pads. 

If the public is willing to pay for it why cant they do it? 

I get that companies dont want to always do 1 off pads like brians does, but its dumb to do things like that IMO (NHL only Specs) and CCM doesnt make retail pads in Canada anyways 

Anyone know the point of these?

Shot in the dark:

It is not worth doing as it...

•Increases SKU counts, part numbers, costing, inventory, lead time, RMAs, the work load for designers, production engineers, product managers, production leads, manufacturing personnel, R&D, marketing...

•Decreases the number of trained employees, customer satisfaction, orders from distribution for stock, availability of standard (non-custom) product, profit margin, efficiencies...

I’m sure there are one hundred more. If you want something in this world that is the sole desire of one person (you), either make it yourself or prepare to pay handsomely for someone else to make it for you. Anything short of that is a very sweet deal. 

The poster above has a bunch of potential reasons 

So in that particular case...

they retrofit a new option to an old pad. That’s okay for 10 pairs at NHL use. It’s too hard to make a running change for the 1000 pairs they needed to make a retail. It’s easier to make the make the change when the model is update... EF4

Other reasons:

1. 1-2 pros like an option and it’s not something the masses would like

2. Manufacturability- it’s too hard or too time consuming to mass produce an item for thousands of pairs but is easy to manage for 10 pairs 

3. Cost - Something might be okay to make an pro happy but is too expensive to add a pad that has a designated profit margin 

4. Misalignment between factories - there’s often different factories for pros and retail. Retail factory may not  be tooled up or have the proper inventory for an option or vise versa. Speed Skin was actually at retail first because the pro factory wasn’t able to accommodate the change as quickly. 

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Side note...

At somepoint I need to write an article about the truth of over seas manufacturing. I think people will probably “enjoy it” as much as they enjoyed their Simmons pads being called knock offs 

Sounds like a good read to me.   Is anyone really laboring under the delusion that Simmons gear isn't a blatant rip-off of other MFG's (or, for that matter, that Vaughn, CCM, Brian's and Warrior aren't busy "incorporating the best features" of each other's respective pads into their latest design)?  

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

The poster above has a bunch of potential reasons 

So in that particular case...

they retrofit a new option to an old pad. That’s okay for 10 pairs at NHL use. It’s too hard to make a running change for the 1000 pairs they needed to make a retail. It’s easier to make the make the change when the model is update... EF4

Other reasons:

1. 1-2 pros like an option and it’s not something the masses would like

2. Manufacturability- it’s too hard or too time consuming to mass produce an item for thousands of pairs but is easy to manage for 10 pairs 

3. Cost - Something might be okay to make an pro happy but is too expensive to add a pad that has a designated profit margin 

4. Misalignment between factories - there’s often different factories for pros and retail. Retail factory may not  be tooled up or have the proper inventory for an option or vise versa. Speed Skin was actually at retail first because the pro factory wasn’t able to accommodate the change as quickly. 

Honestly, the smart money is on a combination of 3 and 4.   I feel like CCM's customization program that they seem to offer at no upcharge is a pretty robust one.   I love my Brian's gear and I loved knowing that almost anything was on the table if I was willing to pay the cost and wait out the custom order time, but it's hard to argue that you're unduly limited with CCM's offerings. 

One other factor could be that the EF3 won't play "correctly" with the P2 strapping.   I realize that "correctly" is subjective from user to user, but CCM would hardly be the first company to limit options in order to realize it's vision of what's best for a consumer (any iPhone users out there?).

15 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Sounds like a good read to me.   Is anyone really laboring under the delusion that Simmons gear isn't a blatant rip-off of other MFG's (or, for that matter, that Vaughn, CCM, Brian's and Warrior aren't busy "incorporating the best features" of each other's respective pads into their latest design)?  

Honestly, the smart money is on a combination of 3 and 4.   I feel like CCM's customization program that they seem to offer at no upcharge is a pretty robust one.   I love my Brian's gear and I loved knowing that almost anything was on the table if I was willing to pay the cost and wait out the custom order time, but it's hard to argue that you're unduly limited with CCM's offerings. 

One other factor could be that the EF3 won't play "correctly" with the P2 strapping.   I realize that "correctly" is subjective from user to user, but CCM would hardly be the first company to limit options in order to realize it's vision of what's best for a consumer (any iPhone users out there?).

It’s all of the above. Depending on what the custom or new option is dictates 1 of the 10 reasons why it’s not done. 

Youre also correct on “playing” correctly. Big companies, like Bauer and CCM, do lots of testing and r&d. If they didn’t test it, they don’t want it in stores. That’s a great point 

1 hour ago, jeff da goalie said:

wait, Simmons rips off other mfgs designs?  ;)

Who knew?  That thread was actually remarkably civil until one dude got a little chapped.  Even then the tension de-escalated quickly.   I wasn't sure whether to be impressed or disappointed.  

29 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Who knew?  That thread was actually remarkably civil until one dude got a little chapped.  Even then the tension de-escalated quickly.   I wasn't sure whether to be impressed or disappointed.  

Impressed. We’ve been around for around 18months and have only had 1major offensive / attacking language issue! 

23 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Impressed. We’ve been around for around 18months and have only had 1major offensive / attacking language issue! 

Yeah, but there's always that primeval part of you that wants to stop and rubberneck at an accident scene... 

22 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

Sorry, didn't mean to start something anew!  

You didn't, I'm just always happy to bash Simmons.  I had a horrible experience with them years and years ago that I probably just need to get over, but I'm not there yet.  

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to What is the point of companies making pro only spec'd gear?

Archived