Seattle Kraken Expansion Team

seagoal

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I know I am not from the area and may not get it, but please sockeye or use of pink. That's just not going to work long term.

No one from the area wants Sockeyes or pink either.

Could you imagine naming your team after a primary food source for your rivals up north?

https://georgiastrait.org/work/species-at-risk/orca-protection/killer-whales-pacific-northwest/orca-facts/

Though, that would be a very NHL thing to do. :giggle:

8 hours ago, Peter36 said:

It needs to be Kraken.

Unfortunately that name, which I agree is probably the coolest of the bunch, has been all but eliminated from contention.  While it does still show on the list in the article, someone I know works for the marketing firm that has been working with the franchise on their pitch concepts.

My agency have been working on pitch concepts for months. I can confirm most of this list is under consideration, except for Kraken. Barring some last-minute life-saving change, that one died a long time ago.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Unfortunately that name, which I agree is probably the coolest of the bunch, has been all but eliminated from contention.  While it does still show on the list in the article, someone I know works for the marketing firm that has been working with the franchise on their pitch concepts.

It’s such a fucking the shame the NHL won’t give them Metropolitans. No one gives AF what the division names are. Call it the “Atlantic” division and move on. 

7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

It’s such a fucking the shame the NHL won’t give them Metropolitans. No one gives AF what the division names are. Call it the “Atlantic” division and move on. 

There is an Atlantic Division though lol.  I know what you mean though, they should change the name of the Metropolitan division.  Both really.  The Met should go back to being called the Atlantic Division and the Atlantic should go back to the Northeast Division but Florida and Tampa ruin that idea, so that's why they don't do that.  I don't see the big deal though, it hasn't stopped the NFL from calling it the NFC East while the Dallas Cowboys are in it.

No updates around town on the name or colors.  There was a ceremony at Seattle Center recently, which is the park that the Space Needle and the hockey arena is.  The NHL crew presented a sealed envelope with the 5 remaining name choices and hinted that the name was chosen.  They said the envelope would be opened years later and it would reveal the selection process details.

Otherwise for updates, the arena is moving along right on schedule, the square footage has been doubled by digging underground, ground is breaking on the offices and 3 rink practice facility (less than 2 miles from my house!), they just released the ticket prices and club package info, and the staff has been growing rapidly and very active in local schools and hockey organizations. 

The staff all seem like good people who are engaged to the community and they are very good at communicating and delivering during this business planning stage. 

Of course, most locals don't care about any of this......they just want a name and colors and jerseys, hats, flags, pucks, stickers........

I'm all of the above, ha.  I honestly care more about the colors than the name/logo at this point.

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't know why you're getting excited. You're obviously getting that ugly teal/salmon colour and will be called the sockeyes.

Ha.  They look somewhat viscous

image.png.a1024845f218c574df1bfbb8ee2d4814.png

Mouthwatering and delicious (to Orcas) and good with soy sauce.  Like all Seattleites. It's perfect.

image.png.4c0b79c49b1783710155ef1b444ce417.png

6 minutes ago, RyanR3KC said:

Firebirds or Thunderbirds and be done with it. the jerseys would be cool as fuck 

We don't need any Hipster bullshit in our hockey....lol

Firebirds is the name of their new AHL team, Thunderbirds is the local junior team.

How about Seabirds?

Edited by seagoal

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Firebirds is the name of their new AHL team, Thunderbirds is the local junior team.

How about Seabirds?

They can just buy the names.  The Junior team would have no problem selling it. 

Haha...what about naming them The Whalers? would anger Vancouver immediately(adding to the rivalry) and Hartford would go "....wayment..."

1 minute ago, RyanR3KC said:

They can just buy the names.  The Junior team would have no problem selling it. 

Haha...what about naming them The Whalers? would anger Vancouver immediately(adding to the rivalry) and Hartford would go "....wayment..."

That's a good one and one I haven't seen or heard yet, nice.

I like Seattle Sea________ (whatever).    Only the Mariners have a non-S name and I think the biggest foul they could undertake is not invoking water or sea in the name, colors, logo, mascot, etc.

Sea Lions remains my personal #1 choice.  

Great logo and adorable mascot potential.   The more they establish kinship with the Seahawks the more they win.

34 minutes ago, seagoal said:

That's a good one and one I haven't seen or heard yet, nice.

I like Seattle Sea________ (whatever).    Only the Mariners have a non-S name and I think the biggest foul they could undertake is not invoking water or sea in the name, colors, logo, mascot, etc.

Sea Lions remains my personal #1 choice.  

Great logo and adorable mascot potential.   The more they establish kinship with the Seahawks the more they win.

Only respectable name you can use at this point.

Anything else is an atrocity.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Assuming you're being facetious, but, the Metropolitan.  Formally the Atlantic, formerly the Patrick.

I know its not the Patrick - but I don't know the real name. (I don't watch the NHL much anymore)

Metro? Really? Terrible.

Ever since they switched away from the Patrick Division and Adams Division in the Wales Conference and the Norris Division and the Smythe Division in the Campbell Conference, I haven’t been able to retain any of the bland, nondescript names of Divisions and Conferences. At least they were doing one through eight in the conference for playoffs for a while afterwards. Of course, they did away with that and now have an overly-confusing, convoluted system that no one either understands or cares about.