Seattle Kraken Expansion Team

seagoal

44 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Ever since they switched away from the Patrick Division and Adams Division in the Wales Conference and the Norris Division and the Smythe Division in the Campbell Conference, I haven’t been able to retain any of the bland, nondescript names of Divisions and Conferences. At least they were doing one through eight in the conference for playoffs for a while afterwards. Of course, they did away with that and now have an overly-confusing, convoluted system that no one either understands or cares about. 

Exactly, I don’t know the Atlantic division was a thing 😂😂😂

Maybe the metro could become the mid states division then 

On 11/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

Ever since they switched away from the Patrick Division and Adams Division in the Wales Conference and the Norris Division and the Smythe Division in the Campbell Conference, I haven’t been able to retain any of the bland, nondescript names of Divisions and Conferences. At least they were doing one through eight in the conference for playoffs for a while afterwards. Of course, they did away with that and now have an overly-confusing, convoluted system that no one either understands or cares about. 

On 11/7/2019 at 5:52 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Aside from the Metro part, the new divisions are fairly idiot proof to figure out.

I will jump on the bandwagon for hating the current playoff format. 1-8 is easily the best.

On 11/7/2019 at 6:27 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Exactly, I don’t know the Atlantic division was a thing 😂😂😂

Maybe the metro could become the mid states division then 

The majority of current Metro division used to be the Atlantic prior to realignment when each conference had 3 divisions.  The Eastern particularly had Northeast, Atlantic, and Southeast.  Florida and Tampa kind of ruin the naming options for the Eastern Conference.  Every team in the current Atlantic division aside from those two are in the northeast so you can't carryover that name from the previous setup.  You can't call the current Metro Division the Northeast Division because you have Carolina in there.  The league was forced to improvise.  They tried to preserve the majority of the rivalries over making the names of the divisions make sense.  It is what it is.

Regarding the playoff system I agree it sucks.  However, hopefully it will change with Seattle entering the league and evening the Conferences.  I remember reading that the reason they adopted this stupid wild card format is because the west had two less teams than the east so the odds of making the playoffs were easier in one conference than it was in the other.  This format mitigated that.  Now that both conferences each have 16 teams hopefully they either drop the wild card and do straight 1-4 in each division or go back to 1-8 in each conference.

On 11/7/2019 at 3:41 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

Western (Pacific and Central Divisions) and Eastern ( Metropolitan and Atlantic Divisions) Conferences. The naming conventions make much more sense than they did previously, as they now refer to the geographic location of each team, so you can (usually) identify what division/conference a team is in by their city.

Top three teams in each division make the playoffs, with the final two playoff spots in each conference being Wild Cards. Not as simple as 1-8 in each conference, but not that confusing either.

• 2 months later...

On Wednesday, John Hoven of mayorsmanor.com, joined SXM NHL Network Radio and reported that a name has allegedly been decided on: Seattle Kraken.

“From everything that I’ve heard, it looks like Seattle Kraken is going to be the name,” Hoven said on the broadcast. “Which is quite surprising, actually, when I was given that information just a couple of days ago. I was a little bit in shock personally, just because we had been told several times previously that that was not the name that they were going for. It looked like they were leaning toward Sockeyes. And then now, I guess it’s come out that that was a name that’s been used in a book by an author. Maybe it was a fantasy novel, I’m not exactly sure, I haven’t done the research on what the book series was about. But it’s been out there I guess now for about five years or so.

“That just then creates one of those legal issues that the NHL tends to try to shy away from, trying to secure the rights and that sort of stuff. It’s one of the reasons why they’ve been so reluctant to use names of the past teams and things like that. And the AHL, they experienced that as well, putting a team in San Diego. They had to buy the Gulls’ name, which had been through about seven different leagues and was actually owned by a local junior team in San Diego. So they had to buy the logos, and the trademarks, and the names, and all that stuff. It’s just yet another process that complicates an already complicated situation trying to get an expansion franchise off the [ground and] get it up and running.”

“It looks like it’s a red, and there’s like a, what I call a teal-ish color,” he said. “It’s a lighter teal-ish color, and black. Those seem to be the primary colors they’re going to be going with.”

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2020/01/29/report-seattle-kraken-believed-to-be-name-for-nhl-seattle-franchise/

8 hours ago, Peter36 said:

I personally think Kraken is the best name. 

Don't love the color scheme, but I don't hate it, depends on what the jerseys look like. 

I know someone would have found a way to whine that it wasn't PC, but I really liked the Seattle Totems name.  The colors are God-awful.  Teams love to tell you all about the "meaning" their colors have, so I suppose it's pink for salmon and teal for the ocean.  My issue is that a green (for the trees/emerald city), navy (for the ocean, it's the Pacific Ocean, not the damn Caribbean) and dark grey (for the mountains) theme would have made more sense AND been more visually appealing. 

• Like 1