Seattle Kraken Expansion Team

seagoal

26 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Thank God they chose this name. It was a no brainer from the get go. 

Agreed.   Fantastic marketing and mascot potential.  

What do you think of the colors, logo, and jersey?

The Space Needle anchor logo is perfection. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

Great colors and marketing strategy. That sweater is beautiful, and think of the setups we'll get to see (as long as Rollie the goalie doesn't get hired). I don't love the stylized S and Kraken is a little gimmicky, but it's no worse than Wild. 

Edited by motowngoalie

Overall I'm a little underwhelmed, but I expected to be.   I wasn't going to be happy with any color scheme that didn't include a dark or at least emerald green, but that's just not a popular color in the graphic design community at the moment. 

Other gripes:

The name "Kraken" is trendy and hip at the moment, but I doubt it will age well.

The jerseys are a flat out rip off of the Tennessee Titans.  Even the shoulder crests are similar to the Titans' T logo.

Positive notes:

While the main logo feels a little over-designed it's pretty good.

The team name ISN'T the Sockeye.

The jerseys AREN'T pink.

Overall I give it a 6.5/10.  Changing the colors up just slightly would have yielded something that felt more original. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Overall I'm a little underwhelmed, but I expected to be.   I wasn't going to be happy with any color scheme that didn't include a dark or at least emerald green, but that's just not a popular color in the graphic design community at the moment. 

Other gripes:

The name "Kraken" is trendy and hip at the moment, but I doubt it will age well.

The jerseys are a flat out rip off of the Tennessee Titans.  Even the shoulder crests are similar to the Titans' T logo.

Positive notes:

While the main logo feels a little over-designed it's pretty good.

The team name ISN'T the Sockeye.

The jerseys AREN'T pink.

Overall I give it a 6.5/10.  Changing the colors up just slightly would have yielded something that felt more original. 

I like how not-busy the main logo is.   I also like that it is vertically oriented, rather than horizontally.  I think those types of logos look best.   I dig it.  Throwback to the Metropolitans' S with the tentacle and the eye.  I really like the font and the sharp, enlongated edges.  I'm pretty impressed with it. 

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

I like how not-busy the main logo is.   I also like that it is vertically oriented, rather than horizontally.  I think those types of logos look best.  

Both of these are good points and should be added to my list of "not gripes".   I"m just going to be cheesed off for a while because they didn't go with "Totems" for the name.  I'm a huge fan of totem pole art and really thought there would be a lot that could be done with a color scheme  and logo with that name.  I recognize there were some downsides too that name but I feel like it could have been done respectfully and well.

Not surprised with the name.  Love the S logo, very subtle but gets the point across perfectly.  The anchor logo is a great touch as well with the needle in there.  I really like the jerseys and colors too.  "Boundless blue" though?  Kind of a dumb name in my opinion, but, the color is nice and that is what matters.

10 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

Both of these are good points and should be added to my list of "not gripes".   I"m just going to be cheesed off for a while because they didn't go with "Totems" for the name.  I'm a huge fan of totem pole art and really thought there would be a lot that could be done with a color scheme  and logo with that name.  I recognize there were some downsides too that name but I feel like it could have been done respectfully and well.

Unfortunately totems could be perceived as some sort of racial slur and just could have gone downhill quickly its like people cant wait to get offended. Not everyone is out to marginalize minoroties sometimes it is good inclusive history. Ill never understand these getting offended hobbyists.

12 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Not surprised with the name.  Love the S logo, very subtle but gets the point across perfectly.  The anchor logo is a great touch as well with the needle in there.  I really like the jerseys and colors too.  "Boundless blue" though?  Kind of a dumb name in my opinion, but, the color is nice and that is what matters.

Thats most likely the pantone name after the number and will not match any other blue. Said navy and meant blue lol

Edited by Dumpy

As you guys might guess I've been quite engrossed with this stuff all day and consuming everything I can.  If you're interested, here is a great interview with the guy from adidas who designed the logo and uniform.  Great discussion of the inspiration and challenges and motivations behind it all. Good info and a peek behind the curtain

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I'm pretty stoked for you, @seagoal.  Take it all in, bud!

Thanks man.  I'm so excited.  I feel like a 10 year old kid right now.  I'm happy and proud and sentimental and relieved and tired all at the same time.

I gotta say, the one thing I am surprised at is that there is no green involved.  I'm not disappointed, just surprised.  That said, I think they knocked this out of the park, the whole package, and I'm mostly just impressed. 

Good times. Glad to share this stuff with you guys.