Seattle Kraken Expansion Team

seagoal

On 7/29/2020 at 1:01 PM, Dumpy said:

Your Kraken have a great chance to be a krakenjack team when they get all there good picks ain’t like San Jose with their team of misfits and long in the tooth players. 

So true.

Different league now though. How many guys were over 30 in 1991 versus how many guys today? I'd bet that there was a significant drop since 1991. Most teams almost completely turn over in 5 seasons today. New teams just starting with draft picks are only a few seasons behind now. Sprinkle in some guys with a few years of pro experience and you can catch up almost instantly now (Knights).

Not true in 1991. Sharks were a decade behind. Took them over a decade to win their division.

On 8/1/2020 at 11:58 AM, MTH said:

So true.

Different league now though. How many guys were over 30 in 1991 versus how many guys today? I'd bet that there was a significant drop since 1991. Most teams almost completely turn over in 5 seasons today. New teams just starting with draft picks are only a few seasons behind now. Sprinkle in some guys with a few years of pro experience and you can catch up almost instantly now (Knights).

Not true in 1991. Sharks were a decade behind. Took them over a decade to win their division.

I felt downright sorry for the san jose fans and wondered if the team was gonna survive. Crappy teams dont bring in dollars and you need dollars to run a pro team. I got high hopes as long as they dont steal jake allen from my blues lol

• 8 months later...

Seagoal I'm happy for you and jealous too. So cool to be getting a team and everything else that goes with it.. i was down here for every Thrasher season except for the 1st. Use to love watching on tv WUPA 69 just as much as attending in person.  Maybe a little more.. more intimate. And going to free practices was really cool. 

Milan Hnilicka , Damion Rhodes and Norm Maracle were the first goalies i watched then came so many others Kari Lehtonen and Johan Hedberg were the longest staying duo. 

Its heartbreaking when a team moves away. 

7 hours ago, Scythe said:

Seagoal I'm happy for you and jealous too. So cool to be getting a team and everything else that goes with it.. i was down here for every Thrasher season except for the 1st. Use to love watching on tv WUPA 69 just as much as attending in person.  Maybe a little more.. more intimate. And going to free practices was really cool. 

Milan Hnilicka , Damion Rhodes and Norm Maracle were the first goalies i watched then came so many others Kari Lehtonen and Johan Hedberg were the longest staying duo. 

Its heartbreaking when a team moves away. 

Thanks man, it's wonderful. 

I feel for you losing a team, for sure.  I'm from the South originally so I got to see a lot of Atlanta games and I was a huge fan of Kari Lehtonen.   I think he was the one who turned me on to Finnish goalies and to this day many of my favorite goalies are Finns.

Although I didn't own any, the V3 graphic was pretty controversial BUT I think Lehtonen had a beautiful V3 setup.

Atlanta Thrashers Hockey: Oh, What Could Have Been...

I loved this set, too

Tendy Gear on Twitter: "Kari Lehtonen Atlanta Thrashers (2003-2004) Vaughn  Velocity setup #tbtendy #ATL… "

And, I posted this on here recently on a thread about unusual pics but this is one of my all-time favorite goalie pics

Before Kari Lehtonen sat on the goal as a Star he did it as a Thrasher. :  AtlantaThrashers

I was a big fan of Pavelec, too.  More sick V3s

Washington D.C. Verizon Center. .Atlanta Thrashers goalie Ondrej Stock  Photo - Alamy

I'll never forget watching this live, too.  Terrifying

Thrashers goalie Pavelec collapses during game | CTV News

Anyway, I have fond memories of Atlanta goaltending. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MTH said:

My kids' rink just won the 'Golden Trowel Award'. It's the "The most sought-after award in horizontal concrete".

As a civil engineer, videos of concrete laying are appreciated. Thanks for the link.

My pleasure. 

And that's an amazing award.....I love random,  obscure, hyper-specialized industry nerdery like that.   

13 hours ago, Mike24 said:

Hopefully Pearl Jam  finds there way into that place.  I might make the trip.  

Haha, nice.  I'm a fan too.  

Funny story: they live here in town.  There's a wildly famous acoustic instrument shop here in the city called Dusty Strings.  Eddie Vedder bought his mandolin there that he used for Into the Wild.  

I was in there playing this insanely expensive (either $6k or $8k, can't remember) mandolin one weekend and fell in love with it.  2 weekends later I went in and it was gone.  I asked the mandolin guy what happened to it and he told me "Eddie Vedder bought it, he has a new gig where he needed one."

Anyway, that's the closest I've come to him: I played his mandolin.

Not me here....but this is the mandolin
240_vedder_uke.jpg.b165362444c4e89b8b9cf35a6cff5480.jpg

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Scythe said:

PJ is one of the few 90's bands i never saw in person.. i did go to a Dave Abbruzzese drum clinic around 95.. he seemed pretty cool. 

If you get a chance go to a PJ show.  They still put on a hell of a show.  

11 hours ago, seagoal said:

Haha, nice.  I'm a fan too.  

Funny story: they live here in town.  There's a wildly famous acoustic instrument shop here in the city called Dusty Strings.  Eddie Vedder bought his mandolin there that he used for Into the Wild.  

I was in there playing this insanely expensive (either $6k or $8k, can't remember) mandolin one weekend and fell in love with it.  2 weekends later I went in and it was gone.  I asked the mandolin guy what happened to it and he told me "Eddie Vedder bought it, he has a new gig where he needed one."

Anyway, that's the closest I've come to him: I played his mandolin.

Not me here....but this is the mandolin
240_vedder_uke.jpg.b165362444c4e89b8b9cf35a6cff5480.jpg

That's a cool story.  And I am not being facetious.  How cool would it have been if he walked in while you were playing it and told you to hand it over so he can buy it lol.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's a cool story.  And I am not being facetious.  How cool would it have been if he walked in while you were playing it and told you to hand it over so he can buy it lol.

Word is he's the nicest, sweetest guy ever and he does a lot for local art and music. 

Maybe had your story happened he woulda asked me if I'm buying it and then when I choked and said " ugh, no Eddie, I can't afford this mandolin" he woulda bought it for me .

Or maybe he woulda said "well I can kid, hand it over." 

Who knows.

Also funny....I ended up buying a much less expensive mandolin,  played in a bluegrass band and kept it for a few years.  But, after taking stock of my possessions and realizing I needed new goalie gear, I sold and so I could buy my V6 set. 

It all came full circle,  see  :)

30 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Word is he's the nicest, sweetest guy ever and he does a lot for local art and music. 

Maybe had your story happened he woulda asked me if I'm buying it and then when I choked and said " ugh, no Eddie, I can't afford this mandolin" he woulda bought it for me .

Or maybe he woulda said "well I can kid, hand it over." 

Who knows.

Also funny....I ended up buying a much less expensive mandolin,  played in a bluegrass band and kept it for a few years.  But, after taking stock of my possessions and realizing I needed new goalie gear, I sold and so I could buy my V6 set. 

It all came full circle,  see  :)

I didn't mean that he would have said it in a nasty way, more so jokingly.  I've read he is a teddy bear as well.