Seattle Kraken Expansion Team

seagoal

It's a tricky subject, and I don't want to overtake the entire thread on the matter (edit: too late). I occupy a weird space where I'm about as left-leaning as it comes in terms of social matters... but I also feel that political correctness / the desire to not offend anyone has risen to some pretty ridiculous levels. I feel like there are right and wrong ways to work with Native American names/branding in sports.

Redskins and their logo need to go, like, yesterday. The Indians should also ditch Chief Wahoo entirely. Native Americans have made their feelings known about these. People should listen. The problems are obvious.

I don't have a personal problem with the name Indians, or the Braves, the Blackhawks, or any of their logos. I've never heard a particular swell of Native American voices say they have a problem with them, either.

But in the end, it's not for me to decide if the usage of Native American elements for sports branding is 'offensive' or not. I'd choose to defer to actual Native Americans on the matter (not other white people who feel something is offensive). I don't really see any issue at all with Totems, but like I said, I don't think my opinion on the subject is particularly relevant. I just think Totems is a corny name and concept. 

12 minutes ago, MTH said:

The fact that it could be debated is the problem.

safe space!

safe space!

Yawn. 

Edited by stackem30
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MTH said:

The fact that it could be debated is the problem.

safe space!

safe space!

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

How is that problematic in any shape?

The difference is whether or not it's done in respect or in fun of.

See Blackhawks vs Redskins.

That's fair.  I'm not saying it's my concern or red flag, personally.

I just think in business you have to be smart about branding and with sports, especially, given the nature of how names and logos are utilized and adopted.

In principle, if your choice is Neutral vs. Contentious (even to some), Neutral is a better choice, in principle.

That said, I'm an advocate for free markets and lack of censorship, but I think taking into consideration how your branding negatively affects people in your community is wise. 

I also think it's wise to not be overly concerned with offending people, which is inevitable no matter what.  People in Seattle are already offended by another sports team coming to town when there are homeless people on the streets, despite the fact that the NHL team will be privately funded.

Just points to consider.

3 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

It's a tricky subject, and I don't want to overtake the entire thread on the matter (edit: too late). I occupy a weird space where I'm about as left-leaning as it comes in terms of social matters... but I also feel that political correctness / the desire to not offend anyone has risen to some pretty ridiculous levels. I feel like there are right and wrong ways to work with Native American names/branding in sports.

Redskins and their logo need to go, like, yesterday. The Indians should also ditch Chief Wahoo entirely. Native Americans have made their feelings known about these.

I don't have a personal problem with the name Indians, or the Braves, the Blackhawks, or any of their logos. I've never heard a particular swell of Native American voices say they have a problem with them, either.

But in the end, it's not for me to decide if the usage of Native American elements for sports branding is 'offensive' or not. I'd choose to defer to actual Native Americans on the matter (not other white people who feel something is offensive). I don't really see any issue at all with Totems, but like I said, I don't think my opinion on the subject is particularly relevant. I just think Totems is a corny name and concept. 

Yawn. 

I just saw this @stackem30 after my response.  We've echoed pretty well.

Cheers. 

Just now, seagoal said:

I just saw this @stackem30 after my response.  We've echoed pretty well.

Cheers. 

I also agree with your points — they're going brand the team with a name that will be popular and maximize opportunities for revenue. For better or for worse, that means taking people's opinions on all matters into account. They'll play the odds.

Some could argue if (mind you it will NEVER happen) Hartford got back their team, bringing back the Whalers would prove to be an issue since whaling is a much, much frowned upon industry in the modern world. 

I say just name them something cool like Seattle Sasquatch. Nice alliteration, too. They'd be the first team to have a rule where you have to grow unruly facial hair.

4 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

Some could argue if (mind you it will NEVER happen) Hartford got back their team, bringing back the Whalers would prove to be an issue since whaling is a much, much frowned upon industry in the modern world. 

I say just name them something cool like Seattle Sasquatch. Nice alliteration, too. They'd be the first team to have a rule where you have to grow unruly facial hair.

I'll take Burns in a heartbeat!

Brilliant marketing,  he is a really good looking hockey player, too.

Seattle is a very tattooed city.  He would be a star here.

Edited by seagoal

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I want outrageous like the Seahawks and the green and burgundy 

hope they take the Sens and Jets route and revive a classic name. They’ve had a long hockey history 

We badly need those 3 sheets in the training facility, too.

We have 9 rinks in the metro area and they're all saturated, fully booked.

There's zero room for growth right now.

Edited by seagoal

Holy crap that goalie looks so badass.  Wow. 

Love it.  Great use of "Seahawks/Sounders green" as an accent. 

Anyone in their 30s remember the neon green accented Lego vehicles with the magnets*?  He reminds me of those guys.

We could change the black to dark navy blue?

*No Vaughn jokes, please

:)

Edited by seagoal

Seattle had great green road jerseys through the late 80's.  

The youtube link gives a GREAT taste of hockey in Seattle back in the 80's 90's.  The game is in the old Mercer Street Arena (now demolished, T Birds used to split between there and Key Arena).  It was a CRAZY rink to be the visiting team in!!  Check out the 90 degree corners!  White dashers on the boards...  Also, some pretty good names in this game.  Olaf Kolzig and Danny Lorenz are the goalies.. Stu Barnes playing, Petr Nedved...

TBirds.jpg

20 minutes ago, Naz said:

Seattle had great green road jerseys through the late 80's.  

The youtube link gives a GREAT taste of hockey in Seattle back in the 80's 90's.  The game is in the old Mercer Street Arena (now demolished, T Birds used to split between there and Key Arena).  It was a CRAZY rink to be the visiting team in!!  Check out the 90 degree corners!  White dashers on the boards...  Also, some pretty good names in this game.  Olaf Kolzig and Danny Lorenz are the goalies.. Stu Barnes playing, Petr Nedved...

TBirds.jpg

Loved those jerseys.

I think green is a guarantee at this point.

That's a good illustration of types of green.  I think the middle one is too similar to Minnesota but the bottom one is just about right.  Not too similar to Dallas and more of a Seattle emerald green.

It'd be cool to see that slate blue one with neon green instead of red.

The Thunderbirds jerseys have not changed much in just my lifetime.

Having grown up in Oregon and having to travel to Washington a lot to play any actual hockey, seen a decent amount of youth and junior program jerseys and other ones I think could be of note, so just for fun...

Washington Evergreens. They used to be the Washington select team, but they were laundering money. Oops!

GdVEkYz.jpg

There's the Sno-King youth program, playing out of a converted Safeway, but they use a Thunderbirds sweater.

The old Tacoma Rockets, before they moved to Kelowna.

TACuniform-H-94.jpg

I really liked the anniversary Silvertips jerseys from last year.

858488766.jpg.0.jpg

Their regular jerseys are great too

CLM_20161126_1484-1040x572.jpg

17 hours ago, MTH said:

Maybe the

'Seattle Hockey Club'

We have no name or mascot that could offend anyone... If this name offends you, please contact us. We're apologize for being insensitive.

Even better. The Seattle Liberals. The team must be made up of 50% men, 50% women, 50% "people of color", 50% "people of non-color"....jerseys are blank not to offend anyone, they don't keep score and at the end everyone gets a participation trophy.

(....actually sound more like communists...altho the communists were actually better at hockey..)

45 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

Seattle Overcaffeinated Hipsters.  This guy would be their logo.  The color scheme would be plaid.

Image result for seattle hipster

And as easily as it was acquired, Gritty's title as most hated mascot in the league was taken from him when the league expanded to Seattle. It was small consolation that the bearded douche from Seattle insisted he was only taking it ironically, and would drop it as soon as it became cool.

image.jpeg.f8324364cb1912d37d66bfa42488b3e5.jpeg

5 hours ago, estogoalie said:

How about the Seattle Antifas? They can have an all-black jersey with a burning car logo on it. Everybody kneels during the anthems, then flips over the goals and trashes everything, decries the league's patriarchy and fascist repression, and then leaves.

antifa.JPG

How about no?

Rioting is our thing.

crowd-surrounds-burning-vehicle-downtown-vancouver.jpg.fe9edc302ad7f4fef23d18c371c08737.jpg