Maria's Butterfly Challenge 3.0

RichMan

It's out now, a 14 day challenge. Find her on FB and Instgram or her website (goalietrainingpro.com) and find the link.

I started today, my b-fly flare is about 34" as my before. By the 14th day, I hope to have flared to maybe 38" or 40" (get your minds out of the gutter ok loll)

So go find it, start the training and let's compare results.

I'm in no way associated with Maria Mountain or any of her businesses. The program is free, she's VERY knowledgeable and eager to make us better goalies.

Now get on it :) 

If you downloaded the pdf from her site, then you should be able to just click on the picture of the exercise in the pdf, which will take you to a YouTube video description.

I had problems once when I downloaded one of her pdf files and changed the name which caused the the links not to work, so dont do that.

If you right click on the pics it will open the YouTube videos in a different tab which is easier than always doing the back arrow. After a full week the exercises get programmed in your head and seeing the pics suffice. I still have to check the set/reps though

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, raucebyalien said:

Started this yesterday as my butterfly has no flare at all [insert 'Office Space' joke here...] which is not helped by age and sitting at a desk a lot. Even after yesterday I felt notably looser, on to the ninja flow today...

Before I started this, I had been using a foam roller in varying degrees of consistency. When I used it a lot, my hockey and golf games both improve. My body is just like loose when I get there and it's just go time. It makes a world of difference not needing to loosen up.

Things like my recoveries are just super natural on both sides. I think the key message is that keeping your hips loose is a key to playing sports as an adult.

Being limber when I get to the link literally makes me a better goalie. Can't support these ideas enough.

Yea you're supposed to get into your flare and measure between the two narrowest points. Likely either your heels or the inner ball of your foot depending on how your feet sit. Realistically it doesnt matter what point on your feet you pick as long as you use the same points when you're finished for comparison.

I really need to try this program as my butterfly is GARBAGE. I see guys who have their thigh rises together without even having their knees together and that blows my mind. 

• 10 months later...

For anyone who has tried this, did you find your knees hurting after the first few times?

Specifically for me when I do that 50/50 stretch, where you have both legs 90* or looking like a z, when I go to stretch the back leg, I feel this crazy pain in my knee. I feel the stretch, where she says you're supposed to, but dang, my knee felt it too. I brought my back leg up a few inches on the ground and that lessened that pain, but it was still there.

Thanks for any input.

1 hour ago, breaklouis35 said:

For anyone who has tried this, did you find your knees hurting after the first few times?

Specifically for me when I do that 50/50 stretch, where you have both legs 90* or looking like a z, when I go to stretch the back leg, I feel this crazy pain in my knee. I feel the stretch, where she says you're supposed to, but dang, my knee felt it too. I brought my back leg up a few inches on the ground and that lessened that pain, but it was still there.

Thanks for any input.

I feel high discomfort as well at the knees whenever I do a b-fly simulated movement. My connective tissues must be weak or damaged, not sure.

11 minutes ago, breaklouis35 said:

I wonder if I have the same problem. But when I play and do a butterfly on the ice, my knees don't hurt. Strange. I do ride my bike quite a bit, so I wonder if that could be the issue, as well.

If you are fitted properly on your bike for your body dimensions, I doubt that cycling is the issue here. Having a bad position on your bike can lead to some tendinitis and swelling at the knees.

Depending on the action or how far I went with a save attempt, I rarely get discomfort on the ice in a b-fly. I get more issues through rotation of my lower leg when shuffling around in my stance.

My b-fly has poor flare and the more I age, the lesser it gets. Sucks a bit.

Archived