Maria's Butterfly Challenge 3.0

RichMan

On 11/14/2019 at 1:59 PM, RichMan said:

If you are fitted properly on your bike for your body dimensions, I doubt that cycling is the issue here. Having a bad position on your bike can lead to some tendinitis and swelling at the knees.

Depending on the action or how far I went with a save attempt, I rarely get discomfort on the ice in a b-fly. I get more issues through rotation of my lower leg when shuffling around in my stance.

My b-fly has poor flare and the more I age, the lesser it gets. Sucks a bit.

I should have clarified, the type of cycling I do is called flatland bmx. Which consists of rolling balancing tricks on one wheel (no ramps). 

I did notice last night at my game, my butterfly flare felt a little wider. I've been doing this program since last Sunday. We unfortunately lost (I got hung out to dry) but my butterfly flare felt wider and I was stopping shots that I don't think I would've stopped two weeks ago.

3 hours ago, breaklouis35 said:

I should have clarified, the type of cycling I do is called flatland bmx. Which consists of rolling balancing tricks on one wheel (no ramps). 

I did notice last night at my game, my butterfly flare felt a little wider. I've been doing this program since last Sunday. We unfortunately lost (I got hung out to dry) but my butterfly flare felt wider and I was stopping shots that I don't think I would've stopped two weeks ago.

Lucky you. I hope I can respond better to the program this time around.

So you a Mira fan I take it?

19 hours ago, RichMan said:

Lucky you. I hope I can respond better to the program this time around.

So you a Mira fan I take it?

The first few days I felt very uncomfortable doing the program, but after that it's been feeling better and better. She also has a YouTube video for game day warm ups that has some of the exercises or stretches from the program included. I felt pretty loose by the time I got to the rink. Wish I had time to do it before I got dressed at the rink.

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2019 at 10:34 AM, breaklouis35 said:

The first few days I felt very uncomfortable doing the program, but after that it's been feeling better and better. She also has a YouTube video for game day warm ups that has some of the exercises or stretches from the program included. I felt pretty loose by the time I got to the rink. Wish I had time to do it before I got dressed at the rink.

Find Maria's off-ice warmup and do it before games.  I try and get it in before leaving for the rink, as I need the time to recover (yes I am old and out of shape).   

On 1/9/2020 at 9:04 PM, Hockey School Dropout said:

Find Maria's off-ice warmup and do it before games.  I try and get it in before leaving for the rink, as I need the time to recover (yes I am old and out of shape).   

I actually did find the off-ice warm-up. I do it before every game at home. But I wonder if it works, because it takes me about 10 minutes and then I sit in the car for 15 minutes and then get dressed at the rink and on the ice I go.

6 hours ago, breaklouis35 said:

I actually did find the off-ice warm-up. I do it before every game at home. But I wonder if it works, because it takes me about 10 minutes and then I sit in the car for 15 minutes and then get dressed at the rink and on the ice I go.

I think it defintely does still make a diffence. For Sunday morning hockey (just shinny), when I wake up super late, slam food down, jump in the car and then play, I feel it on the ice. I just feel more sluggish.

But if I'm up earlier and just walk around a bit around the house, pack my stuff up neatly, eat, etc., I do feel even that little extra movement helps my body in the morning when I get out on the ice. So i'm sure an actual off-ice warmup does make a difference for sure, especially as we age or go through a winter season (I hate the cold weather). Hey, it can't make you any worse. 

I don't have a off-ice warmup routine right now, but I have a on ice warmup that I follow and I supplement my non-hockey hobbies with movement (yoga, going to the gym) to help keep my body in best shape that I can. It's not perfect, but I like where I'm at right now. It helps that I'm also playing in a competitive beer league right now which kind of "forces me" to be the best goalie that I can be and not slack off, otherwise I'm out.

6 hours ago, breaklouis35 said:

I used to do it right before hitting the ice.  Left me sweaty and tired to start the game.  I found doing it at home and then packing up and driving to the rink gave me an energy boost.

Everyone is different, so try arriving at the rink 10 minutes earlier and do the warm-up before suiting up.

I do the off ice warm ups before I go to the rink and before I put my under armor and under knee pads on. I also pick a few stretches from the butterfly challenge that I add in a few times a week even when I’m not playing that day. 

There isn’t really space to do a full warm up at the rink in the locker room where I play and stretching is super important for me the day before and after a game since I’m 34 :)

I strained my groin a few years back in a game in the first period and left the ice in the intermission. After the game the other goalie approached me. He was (and likely still is) fifty pounds overweight. He said my problem was I stretched. He said he doesn’t stretch at all. He was joking but I think he was also telling the truth. @bc30 I’m referring to Bobby Guliano. You know him, right? Amazing goalie in spite of his extra heft and lack of game preparation. 😂

48 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I strained my groin a few years back in a game in the first period and left the ice in the intermission. After the game the other goalie approached me. He was (and likely still is) fifty pounds overweight. He said my problem was I stretched. He said he doesn’t stretch at all. He was joking but I think he was also telling the truth. @bc30 I’m referring to Bobby Guliano. You know him, right? Amazing goalie in spite of his extra heft and lack of game preparation. 😂

I think this also begs the question that if just stretching is a proper warm-up or not. We've all been conditioned the stretch before we workout, play sports, etc, but is that doing more harm than good? A dynamic warm-up with stretching is ideal of course, but reading about the topic makes makes me rethink my routine sometimes. 

I suppose it depends on the person. I couldn't imagine not stretching before a game as I would be afraid of injury (with, in fairness, could happen at any time), yet some people pull it off with no issues. 

I knew a goalie who would never stretch or take any warmup shots or anything. He would just..... stand there for a minute until the game was about to start. I always found it odd, but to each their own I guess.

Dynamic warm-up at home before leaving. A few skating laps with some exaggerated double c-cuts followed by movement drills on the ice before taking shots is my now thing. I dropped the pre-game stretching for a while now. If I had more time, I'd do it post-game instead as a cool down. It feels better.

The routine makes absolute sense based on science, logic, and Maria Mountain's info vlogs.

I do Maria's off-ice dynamic warm-up at home, drive to the rink, get suited up, skate 1-2 laps, do a short 45 second stretch, then take 2-3 rounds of shots and then just wait on the side for the game to start.

After I get home, I use a foam roller and lacrosse ball for about 20-25 minutes to cool down. I think it helps me post-game, because 1, it takes me a while to fall asleep after a game, and 2, I was sick of waking up sore.

13 hours ago, RichMan said:

Dynamic warm-up at home before leaving. A few skating laps with some exaggerated double c-cuts followed by movement drills on the ice before taking shots is my now thing. I dropped the pre-game stretching for a while now. If I had more time, I'd do it post-game instead as a cool down. It feels better.

The routine makes absolute sense based on science, logic, and Maria Mountain's info vlogs.

Interesting that you dropped pre-game stretching all together. Thanks for the inside look at your new routine. 

Archived