Jersey Sleeve Mod

seagoal

In all my years as a goalie, I've almost never worn goalie jerseys and instead have preferred XXL.   I like my sleeves to fit a bit more snug than goalie cuts and prefer the extra length over the backside of my pants that an XXL offers over a goalie cut.

Thinking back on my jersey brands, I've worn lots of CCM jerseys and my favorite, K1 jerseys.  XXL in both of these work perfectly for me.

I recently bought this jersey made by Reebok in XXL

image.png.1493884f8cdfa241b49c3758bfcfdc88.png

The length is great and the overall size in the chest and shoulders is great, however, the sleeves are way too tight.  I brought to the rink last night for a pick-up game and while I was able to get it over my arms, it was skin tight and looked and felt ridiculous.  I had to borrow a jersey from a buddy.

Anyone have any success in widening the sleeves of a jersey? I realize there's probably not enough material to simply rip the inside seam and let it out, so, I'd probably have to cut up another jersey to get material to sew it into this jersey to widen the sleeves. 

I do have access to a sewing guy (my coworker), just wondering if this is possible and if anyone has any success doing it?

I have both a solid white and solid black jersey in my old bin of stuff I don't use anymore that I could cut up and I'm tempted to go with white on this jersey of blues and white.

Thoughts?

I did this with a Bauer XXL jersey I got on clearance, it was just a little too snug all over. Bought a junior practice jersey made of roughly the same material, took them to a seamstress and had her add a strip basically all along the seam from the waist up to the armpit and down to the wrist on both sides. Turned out great, might have had her do something to the chest/shoulders, but that's specific to my c/a and the Bauer jersey. 

If your buddy has some experience, it shouldn't be too tough a job to do just the sleeves. 

3 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

I did this with a Bauer XXL jersey I got on clearance, it was just a little too snug all over. Bought a junior practice jersey made of roughly the same material, took them to a seamstress and had her add a strip basically all along the seam from the waist up to the armpit and down to the wrist on both sides. Turned out great, might have had her do something to the chest/shoulders, but that's specific to my c/a and the Bauer jersey. 

If your buddy has some experience, it shouldn't be too tough a job to do just the sleeves. 

Awesome, good to hear you've had good results.

I'm thinking I'd just need 1 seam widened on the inside of the sleeve, which I guess would show from the back when I'm wearing it.

My buddy at work is great, he's been repairing and altering my hockey gear for years.

Did you go with the same color or take the opportunity to add another color to those seams?

I just went with the same colour, white on white.  It did break up the lines that go around the waist (Leafs style white jersey), but it doesn't stand out too much and kind of gives it that look from like 2000 when the jerseys all had that mesh armpit insert.

I had to get my house league jerseys widened. Luckily my house league team's home ice has an in-house custom jersey person. My jerseys 2 years ago were quite amusing because I guess they didn't have any normal green fabric so they used this awesome figure skating fabric that was covered in glitter/sparkles on the inside of the jersey. Maybe I'll try and get some pics. I'm not sure about how much one needs to add to the jersey but I think my jersey had 1-3 inches added to the torso and arms. It did cut the stripes but that didn't really matter.

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

P.S.

This jersey was purchased for my newest family members :)

image.png.6e3e24d96cc491191bd6df9fe03234f0.png

pads.jpg

First off, sweet setup, I can't wait to see those pads with the gloves.

Second, I'm have a coworker of mine try to widen sleeves on some super cheap Tron jerseys I got on clearance. I knew the colors wouldn't match completely, so what I really wanted to do was create like the air gusset that I have on some of my other jerseys. I checked at a used sporting goods store for an old football jersey in white or orange (I had two jerseys I was hoping to widen, Philly and NYI styles), the kind with the really wide mesh, and just use that as the material to fill the gap. She'll cut along the seam, place a triangular piece in (the wrists seem fine, just want some additional space throughout the arms), and that should be that. Widens the arms, creates a little airflow (or at least that's what I perceive), and looks just fine.

Archived