Does Anyone Wear a Mouth Guard?

Hey all,

Seems like getting bowled over is happening with more frequency when I play due to skaters crashing the net. I'm a proud owner of all my teeth, and I don't really like the idea of breaking one in a collision. I'm wondering about using a mouth guard.

Does anyone currently use one, and what do you recommend? I've read good things about SISU, but I'm curious to see what else is out there. Mainly, I want to be able to communicate with my shoddy d-men, and not feel like I'm choking on something in my mouth (insert innuendo here ?).

Cheers ?

I used this one for a while because I was more looking for something that would prevent me from grinding my teeth/clenching my jaw, not for teeth/concussion protection.

https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua-armourbite-mouthpiece/pcid1246642

It did affect speaking a little too much though, so I recently searched out and ended up with this one.  Much better for speaking

https://www.sportchek.ca/product/332367649.html#332367649=332367651

I don't use a mouth guard and I see no need for it as a goalie. I need to be able to yell at my defense at any time. I don't think goalies need a mouth guard because if your helmet is sitting properly then you should not get a concussion unless you pull a Lehtonen (banging his head on the bar).

I got hit pretty bad recently but all's good in the mental department. Here's the clip: https://goo.gl/gEfyjK

4 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I don't use a mouth guard and I see no need for it as a goalie. I need to be able to yell at my defense at any time. I don't think goalies need a mouth guard because if your helmet is sitting properly then you should not get a concussion unless you pull a Lehtonen (banging his head on the bar).

Mouthguards aren't there for concussion prevention. There's no data that really says it helps. While it's a safety precaution, you mostly wear them to keep your chicklets in place.

I used to wear one growing up in both lacrosse and hockey. Hated them, never felt like I could breathe/talk right. That's despite getting the lowest profile one available.

Used to have to wear them in high school. Most of us would cut them so small that it only covered the few front teeth, as to appease a ref making a quick check. They really didn't allow for great communication, and I think that's key. I can understand that at certain angles a stick could get up under a mask, but the chances that something gets to your teeth should be slim. All that said, its more about comfort than anything, and @Mroy31 provided some good options.

On 10/26/2018 at 3:34 PM, motowngoalie said:

Hey all,

Seems like getting bowled over is happening with more frequency when I play due to skaters crashing the net. I'm a proud owner of all my teeth, and I don't really like the idea of breaking one in a collision. I'm wondering about using a mouth guard.

Does anyone currently use one, and what do you recommend? I've read good things about SISU, but I'm curious to see what else is out there. Mainly, I want to be able to communicate with my shoddy d-men, and not feel like I'm choking on something in my mouth (insert innuendo here ?).

Cheers ?

May I suggest the weight room?

Kick some ass.

If you don't have weights - grab some teammates:

giphy.gif

Think anyone's crashing this guy in net?

Or, if you're lazy, just get some pants:

giphy.gif

On 10/26/2018 at 4:50 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Mouthguards aren't there for concussion prevention. There's no data that really says it helps. While it's a safety precaution, you mostly wear them to keep your chicklets in place.

I used to wear one growing up in both lacrosse and hockey. Hated them, never felt like I could breathe/talk right. That's despite getting the lowest profile one available.

From Hockey Canada website:

Do Mouthguards Prevent Concussions?

Although the facemask does prevent dental injuries, it is still recommended that all players who play hockey wear an internal mouthguard. Dental injuries still occur despite the use of a facemask. Properly fitted mouthguards have been shown to significantly reduce dental and oral injuries in hockey. However, their role in preventing or reducing the severity of concussions has not been scientifically proven.

2 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

(or from a shot a la Bishop last year, but that's less of a worry)

I was there for that game.

While the weight room sounds like a good option, unlike y'all I'm not done growing. I'm not looking to crack any plates and I'm only a HS freshmen, I still got a ways to go. I definitely need to put on some weight though, I'm roughly 20lbs underweight and that number is only growing despite eating large quantities of food and stretching/exercising a lot. I guess that's being a teenager for ya.

I personally use a gladiator mouth guard. https://gladiatorguards.com/. They made them for my team at university and I ordered another for MMA stuff. Thing is a tank, but I can still breathe, talk, and drink water without ever worrying about it coming out. They're truly custom since they're molded, so they're more on the expensive side ($55), but if you keep your mold you get 50% off any future orders which is nice. Honestly I would've gone through a million boil and bite guards by the time I'm reordering another one of these so the price isn't bad if you're going to constantly wear it.

1 hour ago, estogoalie said:

I've thought about wearing a mouthguard, but never actually tried it. Seems unnecessary and a nuisance. But if you want to try, give it a shot, can't hurt I guess.

Just out of curiosity, are there any NHL or pro level goalies that wear a mouthguard?

Jimmy Howard wears this type or something similar:

1246642-790?scl=1&fmt=jpg&qlt=80&wid=612

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Does Anyone Wear a Mouth Guard?

Archived