3D Scanning

motowngoalie

Hi all,

I tried Bauer's 3D foot scan last night on a whim (I'm a Graf user and not likely to change), but this piqued my curiosity.

3D scanning is being used for the new NHL-spec C/A's, and has been sort of a big deal in online custom clothing for a little while now. What I'm thinking is this could open the door for a gear manufacturer to create custom gear down to the mm for a user, via an app or similar interface.

Here's a few additional scenarios I'm thinking of:

-Exact lengths for sticks by analyzing stance/play style

-Head scan for masks eliminating the head mold 

Obviously skates and C/A's are already being done and it might not make sense for things like pants or gloves, but this could be really awesome. 

What do you guys think? 

Motown Goalie... there’s a missing link here and it’s 3D Printing 

Most hockey gear is a very manual process. They use dies ( basically cookie cutters ) to cut pieces of foam, nylon, Jenpro, etc. Then they use sewing machines to take all the pieces and assemble it together. 

All the 3D scan is doing is telling them Is how wide to cut something or where it needs to be sewn together. If the NHL contracted @Chenner29 ‘s shirt maker... he could probably achieve the same results 

Most smaller companies won’t have CAD, FEA, etc or really know what it is. Basically only Bauer, CCM, and Warrior will use CAD or 3D modeling for designs. Keep in mind these 3 companies all make player gear too or support other sports. 

With hockey manufacturing; You have a very analog process which doesn’t align with a digital technology. 

Enter 3DP...

If you were to scan a head and then 3D print a helmet liner or insole based on this data, we’re all digital and cooking with gas. 

1 hour ago, TitanG said:

I believe Airxess, even 5 years ago, was using 3D scans of Hiller's head to shape his mask. I thought they did the same with Genoni but it doesn't look like it fits as well...

Cue the side by side comparison:

genoni-hiller.jpg

7 hours ago, Math. said:

Cue the side by side comparison:

genoni-hiller.jpg

It's cool and I promoted this on IG, but if the shell is still made by hand but with a manual mold building process... it does't add much value. If the shell is actually changed in CAD system and that's how the mold is made, this is a great use of the technology.

Archived