Graf Peak Speed Pro/G Cowlingless Skates

RichMan

9 hours ago, RichMan said:

I see some Vapor in there ???

As per a Graf post/answer in the FB thread, these are just a concept model and they are still working on it. There is no set date of release as of yet.

Did they say if these would be made in Canada/USA or they will be "designed in" stuff I now see with goalie equipment? 

2 hours ago, goalieworld35 said:

Did they say if these would be made in Canada/USA or they will be "designed in" stuff I now see with goalie equipment? 

Don't know. You'd have to go visit the Graf Hockey FB page and ask. Other than True and small Canadian/USA companies, is there really anything from the big boys not made overseas anymore?

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Don't know. You'd have to go visit the Graf Hockey FB page and ask. Other than True and small Canadian/USA companies, is there really anything from the big boys not made overseas anymore?

I know the CCM 3D fitted skates are made in Quebec and I assume the Bauer one's will be made in NA as well.

18 minutes ago, TitanG said:

I know the CCM 3D fitted skates are made in Quebec and I assume the Bauer one's will be made in NA as well.

I believe the CCM Total Custom skates are made in Quebec. This is the closest to what True offers. There are lots of custom options here, for players at least. Not sure on goalie.

The CCM 3D Custom Molded Skates are basic retail skates, but CCM creates a 3D last of your feet based on the 3D scan, puts that mold/last into the skate and use high temperature/high pressure machinery to mold the boot to your 3D foot mold. AFAIK, no custom options exist here, except for a number on the tongue. Skates are built wherever CCM retail skates are built (overseas).

Edited by ZeroGravitas

2 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I believe the CCM Total Custom skates are made in Quebec. This is the closest to what True offers. There are lots of custom options here, for players at least. Not sure on goalie.

The CCM 3D Custom Molded Skates are basic retail skates, but CCM creates a 3D last of your feet based on the 3D scan, puts that mold/last into the skate and use high temperature/high pressure machinery to mold the boot to your 3D foot mold. AFAIK, no custom options exist here, except for a number on the tongue. Skates are built wherever CCM retail skates are built (overseas).

Both Bauer and CCM make custom 3D scanned goalie skates in Quebec - considered both options before pulling the trigger on True/VH for my son!

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

Both Bauer and CCM make custom 3D scanned goalie skates in Quebec - considered both options before pulling the trigger on True/VH for my son!

Yeah, I don't need new skates anytime soon but assuming no huge changes in the offerings over the next several years, I have a difficult choice to make between True/VH and Bauer. VH started as a small Canadian company but is now owned by a big US firm (True Temper) whereas Bauer is now owned by Canadian holdings groups. Either way, it's great to see that VH pushed the rest of the market to respond; without them or a similar company, this would likely have not happened so quickly, or maybe ever.

16 hours ago, RichMan said:

I've never seen Graf skates made anywhere outside Canada or Switzerland. Which are somehow two separate entities (Graf Switzerland and Graf Canada)

Graf Switzerland's website says "Made in Switzerland" right on top.

Graf Canada seems to have been bought by Vaughn, and talks about making them in Ontario.

In August 2016, Vaughn Custom Sports was granted the manufacturing and distribution rights for GRAF hockey products in United States and Canada. Currently a new factory for the manufacturing of GRAF skates is being established in London Ontario and will be operational in the summer of 2017. GRAF skates are legendary for their comfort, performance, and quality. It is with great pride we continue with the GRAF tradition of high quality products and innovation that only the expertise and craftsmanship that is designed in each GRAF skate can provide. 

The GRAF and Vaughn brands are the only major privately owned brands left in hockey, family run, with a lifelong dedication to the sport. We are committed to bring only the finest quality product to the market to provide the ultimate performance and value to each product.

https://grafhockey.com/about-us/

8 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

It sorta looks like the graf player holder. . .

image.png

If so, that's a chop chop job if you ask me. Why not Vaughn take their GX2, reinforce the walls and toe cap and create a sensible well balanced holder, VOILA!! Not that hard when you have all the tools and resources at your finger tips -_- 

38 minutes ago, RichMan said:

If so, that's a chop chop job if you ask me. Why not Vaughn take their GX2, reinforce the walls and toe cap and create a sensible well balanced holder, VOILA!! Not that hard when you have all the tools and resources at your finger tips -_- 

I honestly don’t know if it’s same... but seems logical.

When Vaughn launched a skate, they only had 2 sizes of cowling. Tooling for holders / cowlings in goalie skates is very expensive. You don’t sell a lot of goalie skates.

Vaughn now owns Graf and True / Step have pioneered the onesie holder. Seems logical to use the existing holder and add goalie steel to achieve the desired height 

• 1 month later...

That is definitely the prototype!  I saw it at the shop when I was visiting Vaughn.  So if people are unaware Vaughn bought Graf Canada (I believe)  They moved the machines in the back of the Vaughn plant and that's where they are currently being produced.

As for the skate they are doing something similar as True did they are taking the player holder and modding it so it can handle goalie steel.

Those blades will be getting trimmed down a bit i believe less toe and a 5mm decrease in height as they are really tall.

They will offer both 3mm and 4mm as we discussed this when we were in the plant.  Both my Vaughn rep and myself like 4mm steel.  So I said why not have the option for both!?

Its not a bad skate for it's design and they will do custom as well!  Not with a scanner yet but they may do that in the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thebigm said:

That is definitely the prototype!  I saw it at the shop when I was visiting Vaughn.  So if people are unaware Vaughn bought Graf Canada (I believe)  They moved the machines in the back of the Vaughn plant and that's where they are currently being produced.

As for the skate they are doing something similar as True did they are taking the player holder and modding it so it can handle goalie steel.

Those blades will be getting trimmed down a bit i believe less toe and a 5mm decrease in height as they are really tall.

They will offer both 3mm and 4mm as we discussed this when we were in the plant.  Both my Vaughn rep and myself like 4mm steel.  So I said why not have the option for both!?

Its not a bad skate for it's design and they will do custom as well!  Not with a scanner yet but they may do that in the future.

So I guess the cowling lines have been scratched off altogether.

• 1 year later...
44 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

Saw this on FB the other day, these look pretty sweet: https://www.goaliesplus.com/p/graf-pro-g-cowlingless-goalie-skates/

Graf-PeakSpeed-5500.png

Saw them last week and was supposed to call Mike at GoaliePlus to get his feedback as it seems he wears them. Graf Canada has zero mention on their website of this new skate. Not a good intro to compete if you ask me.

I STAND CORRECTED!!! As you might expect, they did their work from then till now, skates are up on the website. MY BAD. Sorry Graf/Vaughn.

Edited by RichMan
  • Haha 1

As a long-time Graf wearer that jumped ship for Bauer 1X skates once I had destroyed my final pair of 750s, I am very intrigued. Nothing really wrong with the 1X. Once you experience the Graf boot and tongue, its difficult to find anything comparable. Hopefully this is still the case.

I will likely pay full price for these which is something I rarely do with gear.😑

I just wish there was a physical store near me to try them on physically once it comes out.

The only place near me that's supposed to be a Graf retailer told me that they can order Graf skates no problem, but I'm on the hook for the full price afterwards when I was looking at the DM line. They only have a handful of limited sizes of 703s and 709s so I'm not sure how they will fit. I think they also had Peakspeeds though, so I could try that if it's equivalent.