Graf Peak Speed Pro/G Cowlingless Skates

RichMan

4 hours ago, Big2 said:

Probably the best looking boot on the market - again not a fan of the player holder but it seems to look better than the True set up !

Looking forward to some on ice feedback.

The Graf website lists the goalie-specific holder as an Ultra 5500, although you can clearly see that one of the previously posted pictures has an Ultra 5000 holder. Speaking of holders: The Bauer Vertexx Edge Holder is nothing to write home about. It flexes pretty easily, as does the 3mm runner (I use Tydan DLC runners). You have to assume all boots, runners and steel flex a bunch, but whatever you're giving up in overall rigidity is more than made up for by the lack of overall weight. For reasons of weight alone, I can't image I will ever go back to a cowling skate or a leg pad that weighs more than 5 lbs each. By the middle of the 3rd period, I am grateful for every ounce of weight savings.

And, yes, it is the best looking boot. I do not like the look of my 1X boots, but at least a pad is covering them up most of the time. 

• Like 1

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8bhQrAAOae/?igshid=1cptknlejge2r

got them yesterday and took some pics. Returning them because they fit a bit too loose. Overall they seem really nice!  There is definitely a more pronounced heel pocket to them, which made them fit a bit looser than by Bauer 2x skates.  May try ordering a half size down but haven't decided yet.

Edited by Telfo

51 minutes ago, Telfo said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8bhQrAAOae/?igshid=1cptknlejge2r

got them yesterday and took some pics. Returning them because they fit a bit too loose. Overall they seem really nice!  There is definitely a more pronounced heel pocket to them, which made them fit a bit looser than by Bauer 2x skates.  May try ordering a half size down but haven't decided yet.

If you wouldn't mind, post what size you purchase and what size you wear in your 2Xs? Graf has historically run 1/2 size larger and are typically a touch wider than all others. For example, I measure slightly more than a 9.5 US shoe and my foot width is also just slightly wider than a D at the mid and forefoot. Graf 9Ds in the 750 goalie boot have always been the ticket, as an 8.5 allows my toes to touch the cap in a non-athletic position. My Bauer 1Xs are 8.5EE and fit close to the same. 

2 hours ago, dualshowman said:

If you wouldn't mind, post what size you purchase and what size you wear in your 2Xs? Graf has historically run 1/2 size larger and are typically a touch wider than all others. For example, I measure slightly more than a 9.5 US shoe and my foot width is also just slightly wider than a D at the mid and forefoot. Graf 9Ds in the 750 goalie boot have always been the ticket, as an 8.5 allows my toes to touch the cap in a non-athletic position. My Bauer 1Xs are 8.5EE and fit close to the same. 

I wear an 8.5D Bauer 2x and ordered an 8.5 regular in the Graf.  Width felt pretty similar between them but there was definitely more room in the graf.  A combo between a deeper heel pocket and the padding being a bit less thick.

2 hours ago, Telfo said:

I wear an 8.5D Bauer 2x and ordered an 8.5 regular in the Graf.  Width felt pretty similar between them but there was definitely more room in the graf.  A combo between a deeper heel pocket and the padding being a bit less thick.

If I take what you say into consideration, when I wear a 8.5 in Bauer, my big toe touches, hence an 8.5 in the Graf would be perfect...correct?

It gets so confusing.

17 minutes ago, RichMan said:

If I take what you say into consideration, when I wear a 8.5 in Bauer, my big toe touches, hence an 8.5 in the Graf would be perfect...correct?

It gets so confusing.

it probably depends on foot shape more than anything.  I would have to size down a half size for the Grafs to work for me.

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

It gets so confusing.

Typically, no, Grafs would run "small", meaning that Grafs are truer to a typical shoe size: Shoe size US 10 = Bauer size 8.5 = Graf size 9. This is by no means spot-on, and @Telfo makes a fine point about foot shape having more relevance than just foot length. Is the heal pocket much deeper than your 2Xs? I can't imagine a deeper heal pocket than what Bauer is offering, so I would love to know more. "Deep heal pocket + flexible tongue + incredibly stiff boot" seems like the right formula for transferring the most energy to the ice, but maybe that's too simple or idealized. 

Given that, no skate manufacturer offered more stock choices in a boot than Graf did for player skates, and it was glorious while it lasted (get it?). For goalies, you were basically stuck with the "705" last for the longest time, but that was great for me. Also for the longest time, Bauer was the 'narrow foot' choice. So, if you dig a Goaler 750 Pro as I did for about 15 years, there was really no other option until somewhat recently. I actually would cut out the heal pocket on my 750s so I didn't have to tie them so tight. That said, my 1Xs required nothing that would approach a break-in period, I do not need to snug up the top two eyelets, and my heal feels like its suctioned in the boot. If I try tie them tight around the ankle, I have all sorts of problems. Other than that, zero complaints about fit and comfort. 

I would be very surprised, however, if Graf went in the opposite direction, as they have never been the looser skate, all things being equal... which they're not. 

Well shit I wish I knew all of this a week ago.  I don't know how the modern Bauer skates fit compared to the older stuff, 7000 specifically, but I just picked up a new old stock pair of Graf 7500s in 8D as my 7000s are also 8D.  I got them Friday but haven't even tried them on yet as I know I am not skating any time soon.  I did try a used pair of 8D 7500s a few months back and they felt ok so the new ones should be fine.  Especially once baked.

• 1 month later...

Anyone tried these on recently? How do they compare size/width wise to other Graf skates w/ cowlings? My local stores don't have any peak speeds in stock and I want to try something on before dropping $600 online for a new set of wheels. 

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Graf Peak Speed Pro/G Cowlingless Skates

The way it used to be, and I imagine still is the way today, is that the skates are about a half size larger than whatever you are in a CCM or Bauer skate. I wear an 8.5 in those but have always worn a 9 in Graf. The width follows whatever rules there are normally for any skate. 

they made it a point to say vaughn still uses original graf Canada machines and they have a guy from those days that runs the operation. 

Great looking skates !

Question - the tab in the middle of the holder is it permanant anchored there or its part of the blade ?  Also are these 3MM or 4MM blades and do you know if Step will be making blades for these skates ?

2 hours ago, Big2 said:

Great looking skates !

Question - the tab in the middle of the holder is it permanant anchored there or its part of the blade ?  Also are these 3MM or 4MM blades and do you know if Step will be making blades for these skates ?

The tab is a part of the steel to prevent pucks from getting through.  They are 3mm in width.

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

My question is; initial fit and impression please.

The pre-bake fit feels like a slipper, and I'm planning on baking them once it gets closer to ice time :)  My first impression is that this is a very well made skate.  The workmanship is great.

-steve