Graf Peak Speed Pro/G Cowlingless Skates

RichMan

4 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Wouldn't be surprised if I end up in a pair as well within the next year.  I'm not sure I'd like being pitched forward, so I wanted to get a pair of skates I knew would feel familiar in case I don't like the newer style holders.  Glad you're loving the skates!  They're a great option, especially in price relative to the custom options from some other manufacturers.

Forward pitch is the way to go. I skate out, too, so I much prefer a slight forward pitch. This can always be altered slightly with rockering the runner and/or selecting different insoles. Once you feel the benefits, a neutral pitched goalie skate seems antithetical to the requirements of goaltending. I have always pitched forward the rocker on every cowling skate I've used, but it would change over time due to sharpening.

3 hours ago, dualshowman said:

Forward pitch is the way to go. I skate out, too, so I much prefer a slight forward pitch. This can always be altered slightly with rockering the runner and/or selecting different insoles. Once you feel the benefits, a neutral pitched goalie skate seems antithetical to the requirements of goaltending. I have always pitched forward the rocker on every cowling skate I've used, but it would change over time due to sharpening.

I’m sure you’re right, but I’ve talked to a couple goalies locally who switched to the Vertexx runners and really didn’t like being pitched so far forward.

The Pro Gs or whatever the next iteration will be should be around for awhile, the current stock of DM1080s won’t be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2021 at 1:14 PM, g0rilla said:

Where did you see the grafs for $600 cdn? I’ve only seen them for $800+

Thanks 

Caley's Crease. It was the last pair that they had in stock, so they gave me a smokin' good deal, and they just happened to be my size. I was actually shopping for the non-pro model, which still would have been $500, so I figured for an extra $100 I'd be stupid not to get the higher end ones. 

Edited by insertnamehere
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/9/2020 at 2:18 PM, dualshowman said:

Compelled to provide a brief update:

There are not enough superlatives. These are the most comfortable, lightest, and powerful skates I have ever worn. The shorter steel is revelation. Graf cowlings have always had a shorter runner than any competitor, but they stuck with non-replaceable steel for such a long time that I always ended up replacing the Graf cowling with CCM (RBK, Reebok) cowlings when there wasn't enough steel left to sharpen. I just dealt with the longer, heavier runner and tried to not pay it any mind. The length of the Graf runner on the new holder is, again, much shorter than Bauer or CCM. The benefit is felt in skating agility, push-offs, and shuffling. I missed this, and now it's back. 

Can you please measure the length of the runner whenever you get a moment?

15 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Can you please measure the length of the runner whenever you get a moment?

Here are some photos of measurements of the Graf runner, A Bauer Vertexx runner, and a Tyden DLC Vertexx runner. Not deadly accurate measurements, but at least there's some scale.

Graf runner:

IMG_6855.thumb.JPG.ed7caa5a44c41f207204f64ef7c5ea35.JPG

Bauer Vertexx

IMG_6854.thumb.JPG.f80556e528c1b0502ffbff348ba93f44.JPG

Tyden

IMG_6853.thumb.JPG.25494eb60b7a9851f5ce376a1599c394.JPG

IMG_6851.thumb.JPG.84857fe2f873b03c0dd17140fe8f424f.JPG

IMG_6852.thumb.JPG.9b9700d6ed84c0baf9cd3d1f6e1fb0e1.JPG

19 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Above and beyond, @dualshowman  Thank you.

My pleasure.

If this carries any weight for anyone: These skates are my favorite piece of equipment. I've had multiple 75 to 120 minute ice sessions in these, and I don't even think once about my feet. The mental and physical relief of NOT thinking about the potential pain you're gonna feel is priceless. All of the maladies that my feet and ankles were experiencing when I was skating in the 1Xs have disappeared. I still have a tiny bump from lace bite, but it is slowly going away and isn't painful any longer. Now I'm thinking of replacing my forward skates with a pair of Grafs. 

I've been made aware that Canadian buyers DO NOT receive the new Graf heat-moldable orthotic that American buyers receive, so take that into consideration. I've ditched my custom orthotics for the new Graf versions because they're incredible. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dualshowman said:

My pleasure.

If this carries any weight for anyone: These skates are my favorite piece of equipment. I've had multiple 75 to 120 minute ice sessions in these, and I don't even think once about my feet. The mental and physical relief of NOT thinking about the potential pain you're gonna feel is priceless. All of the maladies that my feet and ankles were experiencing when I was skating in the 1Xs have disappeared. I still have a tiny bump from lace bite, but it is slowly going away and isn't painful any longer. Now I'm thinking of replacing my forward skates with a pair of Grafs. 

I've been made aware that Canadian buyers DO NOT receive the new Graf heat-moldable orthotic that American buyers receive, so take that into consideration. I've ditched my custom orthotics for the new Graf versions because they're incredible. 

Great feedback!  I am thankful that my feet are rather ordinary.  I have never had a problem with skates other than being naïve growing up wearing skates one size too big.  Wearing Bauer all my life I should have been in 8D instead of 9D.  I think its because of this reason that I have the typical "Bauer bumps" on my heels.  I corrected this once I found the GSBB and have been wearing 8D skates ever since.  Thankfully they never gave me any issues other than a blister here and there.  

I bolded that sentence above in the quote because I can truly relate to that as this is exactly how I feel wearing a Brown c/a.  Is it the lightest out there?  Fuck no, we all know that.  But there is nothing that can compare to knowing that I don't have to anticipate where I am going to take a puck and think about if its going to hurt if I can't get my hands on it.  

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Great feedback!  I am thankful that my feet are rather ordinary.  I have never had a problem with skates other than being naïve growing up wearing skates one size too big.  Wearing Bauer all my life I should have been in 8D instead of 9D.  I think its because of this reason that I have the typical "Bauer bumps" on my heels.  I corrected this once I found the GSBB and have been wearing 8D skates ever since.  Thankfully they never gave me any issues other than a blister here and there.  

I bolded that sentence above in the quote because I can truly relate to that as this is exactly how I feel wearing a Brown c/a.  Is it the lightest out there?  Fuck no, we all know that.  But there is nothing that can compare to knowing that I don't have to anticipate where I am going to take a puck and think about if its going to hurt if I can't get my hands on it.  

Ugh... the Bauer bumps. Yeah, I got those too. They really have fucked up a lot of shoes over the years - and made some boots and shoes impossible to wear. But would I trade the endless hours I spent playing hockey in Ill-fitting skates as a kid for heels that don’t have bumps? Nope. Well, probably not anyway. Sorta. Definitely maybe.

1 minute ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Ugh... the Bauer bumps. Yeah, I got those too. They really have fucked up a lot of shoes over the years - and made some boots and shoes impossible to wear. But would I trade the endless hours I spent playing hockey in Ill-fitting skates as a kid for heels that don’t have bumps? Nope. Well, probably not anyway. Sorta. Definitely maybe.

Hahaha I hear that bruh.  I am thankful mine have never given me a problem.  They're not large enough to have caused issues with anything else fitting or not

22 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Funny this comes up right now: Always paying the price for Vaughn arms, and I took a absolute laser off the right shoulder last night that put me face down on the ice for three seconds, and this is a pro-return unit. I got up when I reminded myself that this is what I wanted, what I conceded, when I chose this C/A. 

I have the Graf 1080’s with the 5500 cowlings and runners.  Can I put my Graf 5500 cowling and runners on the new Graf peak speed skates?  I like to be lower to the ice and the short runner.  

When I lace up my Graf 1080’s, I wish they came up a littler higher on my foot.  How do these compare?    

Thanks!

On 3/5/2021 at 3:22 PM, MCL298 said:

I have the Graf 1080’s with the 5500 cowlings and runners.  Can I put my Graf 5500 cowling and runners on the new Graf peak speed skates?  I like to be lower to the ice and the short runner.  

When I lace up my Graf 1080’s, I wish they came up a littler higher on my foot.  How do these compare?    

Thanks!

If you contact Graf/Vaughn directly, they will answer your first question. Graf has been and continues to be very responsive. I went through HockeyPlus/GoaliesPlus, and they will likely help you getting these done for you. 

They are not tall skates. I find this beneficial, however.

Edited by dualshowman

Graf always had shorter runners, it's like their trademark.

I've been in Bauers forever and never got the heel bump so many talk about. Only switch I ever made was one season with Tacks 452s cause they were on sale. I swear they were the worst possible torture I've ever endured. After a full week of goalie camp practice/coaching, 6 hour shifts (with lunch breaks of course), at the end of the week, the right skate rendered my right foot's big toe numb and it lasted me a full f%$@$ year. That's when I went back to Bauer. I have yet to try Grafs in my lifetime. Maybe someday.

As for the foot beds only available in the U.S. - why the hell do companies do that? I find that happens a lot in the sports shoe business, be it basketball or road/trail running. Only certain models or colours are available when distributed over the border. Annoying as shit. 

On 3/4/2021 at 1:49 PM, dualshowman said:

Funny this comes up right now: Always paying the price for Vaughn arms, and I took a absolute laser off the right shoulder last night that put me face down on the ice for three seconds, and this is a pro-return unit. I got up when I reminded myself that this is what I wanted, what I conceded, when I chose this C/A. 

Ah man that sucks

On 3/5/2021 at 6:22 PM, MCL298 said:

Thanks!

I would imagine the cowling will fit the skates provided you get the same size.  You would probably have to drill for the proper holes though.  Whether you drill the cowling to match the current holes in the boot or you drill the boot to match the 4 holes for the cowling.  Let us know what response you get from Graf.  Its always good to have confirmed information from the OEMs documented on here instead of just hearsay from us lol.

• 9 months later...

I LOVE this thread. I just put my Bauer 2X Pro (8D) up on Sideline Swap tonight as I’ve been having the same issues with comfort, insoles, lace tightening, hip and knee strain. Going back to my Graf 9035 now, but may try out this cowlingless skate. I’ve been in Graf 750 Goaler Pro, RBK 9K, Bauer One80 LE (another mistake), Graf 9035 and Bauer 2X Pro. Much prefer the Grafs over any other. 

There’s a similar thread about adding a blade holder to a Graf 9035 after the cowling has been removed. 

4 hours ago, Beez37 said:

I LOVE this thread. I just put my Bauer 2X Pro (8D) up on Sideline Swap tonight as I’ve been having the same issues with comfort, insoles, lace tightening, hip and knee strain. Going back to my Graf 9035 now, but may try out this cowlingless skate. I’ve been in Graf 750 Goaler Pro, RBK 9K, Bauer One80 LE (another mistake), Graf 9035 and Bauer 2X Pro. Much prefer the Grafs over any other. 

There’s a similar thread about adding a blade holder to a Graf 9035 after the cowling has been removed. 

I’ve done that, as well. I haven’t gone back to my True skates. Given my Trues were five years old and the great fit started to not be so good any longer. I will be installing the new Overdrive blade on mine as soon as they get in my mailbox.

• 1 year later...
On 10/27/2023 at 11:15 AM, GoalieNut said:

Couple questions:

1 - are Graf Peakspeeds still being made. Is Graf staying around?

2 - are there different steel options (manufacturers) for the Peakspeed skates

Graf/Vaughn rep came out to our store a week or two ago to show us SLR4 and some Graf player stuff. No change to the goalie skates for 2024. If you still want Peakspeeds, you should be able to get them.

As for the steel, unlikely. Not a lot of Graf skates being sold now, let alone Graf goalie.

• Like 1