Maltese vs EcoFoam

@TheGoalNet

Are you talking mask kits or collars?

In general the EcoFoam is lighter and softer.

Mask kits are die cut to be a bit more precise with mask fit (see forehead and backplate pieces on the kit).

The EcoFoam collar doesn't have the annoying "mullet" in the back and the velcro closure across the back of the neck is covered to prevent fraying.

2 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

@TheGoalNet

Are you talking mask kits or collars?

In general the EcoFoam is lighter and softer.

Mask kits are die cut to be a bit more precise with mask fit (see forehead and backplate pieces on the kit).

The EcoFoam collar doesn't have the annoying "mullet" in the back and the velcro closure across the back of the neck is covered to prevent fraying.

Is softer better? I’d imagine if something is too soft, it can’t fully dampen the impact of a shot?

On 11/6/2018 at 5:36 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Is softer better? I’d imagine if something is too soft, it can’t fully dampen the impact of a shot?

Chemical composition of both products allow it to spring back to its natural shape upon impact. 

Compare this to Poron or D30:

Poron tends to absorb water/sweat very easily.  On top of that, the padding changes its properties depending on its surrounding temperature.  In warmer environments, it tends to become mushy.  In cold temperature, it hardens.

D30 stiffens upon impact.  Personally, that’s not something I’d want going against my head. 

“Soft” is for comfort (commonly requested by Maltese users). Same protective properties. 

Maltese padded Otny masks passed HECC certification very easily (take that for what you will). I’d imagine they are working on cert for the Eco as well. 

Does Eco Foam have any actual impact testing to validate that 1/8” thick foam safety dissapates an 80 mph shot to the neck? 

Your point on mask foam is well taken on the mask foam and softness. I was thinking more about neck guards with my last question about softer. 

My own personal opinion is that safer will stem from a combination of materials. 

Ive been beyond impressed with VTX mask liner. I was initially a bit skeptical about the product. The Poron XRD is only used in sections an not anywhere it would uncomfortable touching the face 

hypothetically, something like D30 touching the mask shell and then Eco Foam bonded to D30 and touching your face would be a winning combo in my head 

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Does Eco Foam have any actual impact testing to validate that 1/8” thick foam safety dissapates an 80 mph shot to the neck? 

Your point on mask foam is well taken on the mask foam and softness. I was thinking more about neck guards with my last question about softer. 

My own personal opinion is that safer will stem from a combination of materials. 

Ive been beyond impressed with VTX mask liner. I was initially a bit skeptical about the product. The Poron XRD is only used in sections an not anywhere it would uncomfortable touching the face 

hypothetically, something like D30 touching the mask shell and then Eco Foam bonded to D30 and touching your face would be a winning combo in my head 

I believe the collars use 1/8” thick high density foam backed by either 3/8” or 1/2” thick regular density. 

No empirical studies have been conducted to my knowledge. 

Archived