Habs (Price) 2018-2019

RichMan

14 hours ago, Fullright said:

Yes, Naz. Watching Habs v. Blackhawks and he looks very good through 2 periods. Moving well in the crease and fielding pucks behind the net with no obvious problem. 

He looked really good in that game, could tell his focus was sharp.  When his stick went flying out of his hand, he stayed right on the puck and made a solid save, no rebound without his stick on the next shot.

1 hour ago, Moose75 said:

Him being down there on the left side is not good. That side of goalies are the dregs of the 2018-2019 season. Gibson reminds me so much of 2003-2004 Luongo. 

DuJq59yWoAACXwb.jpg

Take that chart with a grain of salt... look how high Elliot is....

56 minutes ago, Naz said:

Take that chart with a grain of salt... look how high Elliot is....

He may not have great surface stats at 2.59/.911, but that doesn't show the shot quality he is likely facing. Seeing as how he's the only one on the Flyers with a reasonable save percentage, this does make a little more sense. Hockey Reference says it is a 1.53 GSAA. I'd like to see it broken down a bit more.

I think Based Luongo™ had an absurd 48.42 GSAA in 2003-2004. That was the year he had a .931 and a 2.43 and basically was the Panthers. I'm not certain how accurate Hockey Reference's retro statistics are though.

Watched the game yesterday. I know Niemi made the show, and I know he was left hanging by his teammates, but, am I the only one that can't stand his awkwardness in goal? He's not even smooth like lundy and him I just can't stand. He's (niemi) not even entertaining like Hasek was, and Hasek was as awkward as they come!!

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Just when you thought things were back on track...🙄

Missed tonight's game. Was it one sided? Did Price bring his A game or does he look still injured despite his recent shutout performance? Was he left to hang?

Didn't watch it, but one was an empty netter. Gonna guess on the rest though: Probably his B+ game, slightly, most certainly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure that Price will be enough to get the Habs into the playoffs (as always, the biggest problem with Price is that he doesn't score enough goals), but picking up his 315th win in a Habs jersey was a nice little moment.

Interesting article here that examines whether or not he could attain the 500 win mark before retiring. One of the stats they consider is team scoring, and surprise! - he ain't getting the help that others in these "greatest goalies" discussions have gotten/are getting.

https://www.nhl.com/news/behind-the-numbers-carey-price-500-wins/c-305754902

• 2 weeks later...

Price has been looking really good lately. Still hard to know if it will be enough, but if the team that scored 6 last night against Florida keeps showing up for work (Tatar and Gallagher have already reached career-bests for points in a season) there might be a chance for them to attend the ball (if only for a fleeting first round appearance, with curfew set to 4 or 5 games - lol!)

In Price's last 5:

4 wins, and 1 OT loss.

.948% save percentage

1.60 GAA

1 SO

image.png.09ed4c73c4697ef9cca1e5aae038791c.png

And just to put pick on the bitter disappointment that can be had for a mere $5.5M a year, here are Drouin's numbers for the last five games. In all but one of those games, he had as many points as Price!

image.png.7543484d561c17e14f4c6da56492ec60.png

Archived