Brown Chest Protector Thread

6 hours ago, und3rd06 said:

Hi guys,

Happy to have found an "active" goalie forum. Long overdue since GSBB has gone silent and I find Facebook useless as an information source.

My question: How long did it take you guys before you feel good in a new Brown chest ?

I bought a Brown 2400 and have used it for 6 months when I play pickup to "break it in". I would say I might have 20 to 24 hours in it max.

I still don't feel comfortable in it, it just feels like the plastic parts are too stiff/bulky and hinder my movement, especially the shoulder floaters (I did ask for 2 inch wider and removable shoulder lifts that I don't use anymore, don't like added height). I did have a super hot shower in it(read that it helped) played around with strapping, etc.. still I just feel like I don't like that chest and might have to sell it ? 

I do find it hot so I might remove built in neck collar to help in air flow. I might also remove the extra chest pieces to help reducing bulkiness.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.

brown2400.jpg

Yikes.  The over sized shoulder floaters are definitely unnecessary bulk that you don't need to be dealing with.  I would actually have some width trimmed from my shoulder floaters if I could do it all over again.  I also agree that removing the built in collar will help a lot as well.  I am not saying you shouldn't wear any neck protection at all, but, you will get much better airflow with a guard separate from the chest.  I personally wear a Maltese collar.  Another thing I hate about Browns are his NHL spec arm floaters.  It is such an awful design.  He stresses to wear the straps for the floaters  on the loose side that way it allows the arms lots of room to move inside of the floaters.  It works, there is room to move the arms if you strap the floaters on the loose side but It still doesn't take away from the fact that its a shit design.  I actually sent mine back to Brown to have him remove the inside flap to make it more like the previous non NHL spec floater.  Problem solved.  I have a 2200 so I don't have all that extra padding on the ribs.  I don't know how much those will add to the bulky feeling you're having but it could be part of it.  If you've worn it for 6 months with a hot shower(nice thinking by the way) mixed in there as well, it should have broken in nicely by now.  The first time I wore my 2200 was during a weekend goalie camp and by the time it was over it was plenty broken in.  

Thank you Naz and Richter,

I'll remove collar, extra chest pieces and the white strip above elbow

I was actually thinking of putting the shoulder floaters from an old Sherwood chesty. I just dont like the fact that the shoulder floater is a single layer of plastic, I dont see that becoming more flexible overtime.

I thought I could handle this much bulk coming from older Simmons Matrix 3 I guess I over did it ! Totally my fault for requesting that kind of a mod !.

If I were to start again i'd go segmented and nhl size floaters.

Again thanks for advice.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, und3rd06 said:

Thank you Naz and Richter,

I'll remove collar, extra chest pieces and the white strip above elbow

I was actually thinking of putting the shoulder floaters from an old Sherwood chesty. I just dont like the fact that the shoulder floater is a single layer of plastic, I dont see that becoming more flexible overtime.

I thought I could handle this much bulk coming from older Simmons Matrix 3 I guess I over did it ! Totally my fault for requesting that kind of a mod !.

If I were to start again i'd go segmented and nhl size floaters.

Again thanks for advice.

I would not remove that piece.  Those are there to cover the seam between the shoulder pad and the bicep pad.  Those strips do not do anything to hinder mobility.  Where are you located?  Do you have another c/a you can use if you were to ship yours back to John to have the shoulder floaters swapped out?  Or if you have the know how you can just order them from him and swap them out yourself.  I have the segmented on mine, they do help.

Thanks Richter, I see what you mean, I won't remove that piece.

I'll probably make my own shoulder floater using foam &thin layer of plastic and ask a near by tailor shop to do the sewing and attach it it to the unit. That's what I did when I added a belly extension to my Simmons Matrix 3 and that thing has help up 10-12 years just starting to get bruises with that unit that I still play with when not trying the Brown.

Thanks again for tips and advice

38 minutes ago, und3rd06 said:

Thanks Richter, I see what you mean, I won't remove that piece.

I'll probably make my own shoulder floater using foam &thin layer of plastic and ask a near by tailor shop to do the sewing and attach it it to the unit. That's what I did when I added a belly extension to my Simmons Matrix 3 and that thing has help up 10-12 years just starting to get bruises with that unit that I still play with when not trying the Brown.

Thanks again for tips and advice

Ok good luck, lets us know how it comes out.

11 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Is it typical for this much mod of the Browns? I thought they were made to order and like perfect fits? 

Its the problem of not being able to try them on in store, just like any other custom made part.  You think you'll like something a certain way and you end up not liking it.

• 1 month later...

Last time I seen the price list they were between $700 and $850 Canadian, the Russian spec I believe was an upcharge( around $75) as was custom colors ($75). The price listed in USD seems alittle higher, might be trying to make some extra off it. I honestly can see them costing $1100 CND now.

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

It looks like a shade under $800 USD.  I had to double check the ad to make sure it wasn't Canadian.

image.png.7891cdf68d65f6fdc408c42c2922673d.png

Why does the post have 2 different C/A unites pictured? Both are Red but the floaters, Resonator logo, and bottom of the heart guard are different from top large image to the three below it.

31 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Why does the post have 2 different C/A unites pictured? Both are Red but the floaters, Resonator logo, and bottom of the heart guard are different from top large image to the three below it.

No idea, I just post here.
The first pic isn't even a "Russian spec" c/a as it doesn't have the segments in the shoulder wings.

13 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

No idea, I just post here.
The first pic isn't even a "Russian spec" c/a as it doesn't have the segments in the shoulder wings.

I can take inaccuracies on Wikipedia... super vague symptoms and treatments found on WebMD... and even people pawning off their opinions as facts on Twitter/IG... but falsely posting goalie gear... that crosses the line!! Have you no conscience interweb??? ???

Brown pricing is not posted, but he’ll respond on his facebook posts with his pricing structure. I found the latest example of that from about six weeks ago.

Pricing on our chest and arms is 2400- $749.95, 2200- $739.95, 2000- $709.95, and if you want the standard built in collar add $29.95 or the high cut version add $39.95. All of our prices are in Canadian dollars. We also offer other custom features: Extra cushioning -$29.95, Shoulder lifts -$39.95, Extra Rib Protection-$29.95, Custom Colours  -$69.95, Fighting Strap- $24.95, Wider Shoulder Flaps-24.95, Suspender guides-$19.95, and the Russian Spec-$79.95. The Russian Spec is a build up of the bicep below the shoulder caps, offers thicker plastic, Extra cushioning, and segmented Shoulder flaps.
Go to brown hockey.com and enter your specs and desired options in the chest and arm section/ Explore customization.

I've been eyeing a Brown chest pad for a while. I've never really put as much thought into my chest pads as I have other gear, and I have no doubt I've been missing out (I've been wearing a senior-level Koho chest pad since ~2004, and it's kind of a joke -- I bruise pretty easily). Brown seems a bit pricey (which is NOT to say that they're overpriced, or not worth it), but I'm at the point where I'm hoping the gear I buy will last me 10+ years, and it's worth it for superior design and production.

The only thing that's really holding me back from buying a new chest pad is all the talk about them being redesigned to be more streamlined for the NHL. Mike Howard at Kenesky was telling me how many companies are working on slimmer spec chest pads to satisfy the looming NHL rules, and I've seen a few pictures of mainstream companies (I forget which) showing such chest pads at trade shows. I've always hated bulky chest pads, so these slimmer designs are almost certainly something I'll want to wait for. Anyone have any idea as to whether Brown would start following suit? I'm not sure, given that their customer base seems to be 'older' goalies (not kids and teens) who appreciate some older designs and quality production. 

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

I've been eyeing a Brown chest pad for a while. I've never really put as much thought into my chest pads as I have other gear, and I have no doubt I've been missing out (I've been wearing a senior-level Koho chest pad since ~2004, and it's kind of a joke -- I bruise pretty easily). Brown seems a bit pricey (which is NOT to say that they're overpriced, or not worth it), but I'm at the point where I'm hoping the gear I buy will last me 10+ years, and it's worth it for superior design and production.

The only thing that's really holding me back from buying a new chest pad is all the talk about them being redesigned to be more streamlined for the NHL. Mike Howard at Kenesky was telling me how many companies are working on slimmer spec chest pads to satisfy the looming NHL rules, and I've seen a few pictures of mainstream companies (I forget which) showing such chest pads at trade shows. I've always hated bulky chest pads, so these slimmer designs are almost certainly something I'll want to wait for. Anyone have any idea as to whether Brown would start following suit? I'm not sure, given that their customer base seems to be 'older' goalies (not kids and teens) who appreciate some older designs and quality production. 

John has a large pro clientele, so he will have to meet NHL standards. But in general most things John made in the 70's haven't changed much. 

Remember he is custom and can make it any way you want. But changes = upcharges. Email him, he responds quickly.

Brown c/a last long bc the blocks are plastic and arms not Hd foam. it does not breakdown over time.  My Brown I had for over 12+ years still good except for the hottest days or humid days.  Back in 2002 my c/a was like 500$ bucks when most were 300$ top of the line us funds.

I had the Patrick Roy spec Brown c/a, open back, additional side plastic on the elbows.

1 hour ago, DL42 said:

Brown c/a last long bc the blocks are plastic and arms not Hd foam. it does not breakdown over time.  My Brown I had for over 12+ years still good except for the hottest days or humid days.  Back in 2002 my c/a was like 500$ bucks when most were 300$ top of the line us funds.

This.
A Brown c/a will last at least the same length of time that you will buy 3 of the usual retail units.  In the end, you come out WAY ahead.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 8:33 AM, stackem30 said:

When I ordered my most recent Brown two years ago I had asked him his stance on this and he said he was already working on a design and will certainly follow suit when the time comes.  I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.  

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 10:27 AM, goalie said:

John has a large pro clientele, so he will have to meet NHL standards. But in general most things John made in the 70's haven't changed much. 

Remember he is custom and can make it any way you want. But changes = upcharges. Email him, he responds quickly.

Who besides Bobrovsky in the NHL?  Any AHL or ECHL?  (Not challenging, genuinely curious because I don't see many guys in the show wearing Brown.)

45 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

Who besides Bobrovsky in the NHL?  Any AHL or ECHL?  (Not challenging, genuinely curious because I don't see many guys in the show wearing Brown.)

I think even Bobs switched to something else.

Not to say there may not be back up tenders or other wearing Brown. Or it may even be that his logo can’t even show through a sweater and his logo is not on any pro chesty. I admit that I don’t study pix of what present pros wear; just studied them when I was much younger...

On something like a chest protector, I could even see an equipment manager suggesting a Brown if a goalie keeps getting stingers in other units. That could get Brown back on the rise in the NHL. John was building CA’s skinny LONG before building them fat, though it seems he favours the bigger stuff...