SaveByRichter35

Brown Chest Protector Thread

Just to address any concerns about the hotness of a Brown chest protector:

Last night I subbed at a local rink that has ice outside.  It was 73" degrees last night and 100% humidity at puck drop. I was fine in the Brown. 

This is (was) my BROWN C/A.  I have retired from hockey following recent knee replacement surgery.

I HAVE SINCE UNRETIRED FROM HOCKEY, sure wish I had my BROWN gear in the bag .......

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_16689.thumb.jpg.3b4c79bfd1b3cce37ab4f61d65a4de7a.jpg

Edited by Wonder35
Update
  • Like 3

Wonder!!!!!!!!!!  God bless you man.  Sorry to hear about the retirement but hopefully the knew knee makes life a bit easier.  Glad to see you've made it over!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Wonder!!!!!!!!!!  God bless you man.  Sorry to hear about the retirement but hopefully the knew knee makes life a bit easier.  Glad to see you've made it over!

Thanks Richter, a familiar name from my past.  Yeah, the old body was taking a pounding so I decided to hang them up, turning 69 in a few weeks and 80-90 games a season was becoming a pain, literally. I got a new hip in 2007 and now a knee replacement which is coming along just fine.  I still play golf with the hockey guys and many are close friends so the camaraderie continues. It was a good decision. I have sold all my BROWN gear to a very happy net minder from the far side of the country. But I still have my Harrison mask hanging on the wall..........  Cheers

8 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

Thanks Richter, a familiar name from my past.  Yeah, the old body was taking a pounding so I decided to hang them up, turning 69 in a few weeks and 80-90 games a season was becoming a pain, literally. I got a new hip in 2007 and now a knee replacement which is coming along just fine.  I still play golf with the hockey guys and many are close friends so the camaraderie continues. It was a good decision. I have sold all my BROWN gear to a very happy net minder from the far side of the country. But I still have my Harrison mask hanging on the wall..........  Cheers

Happy to hear you're happy with your decision.  Enjoy all the golf you can, you've earned it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wonder35 said:

If you don't start a thread with numerous pictures of your Harrison, you're essentially committing a crime.

21 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

If you don't start a thread with numerous pictures of your Harrison, you're essentially committing a crime.

I'm new to this forum.  Where should I post some shots of my Harrison?

1 hour ago, Wonder35 said:

I'm new to this forum.  Where should I post some shots of my Harrison?

Thanks for joining 

While this is an old thread, I just have to share my happiness. I got this unit cheap, it's imported from US/CAN by previous owner. There were some fixes and modifications done already, so I decided to dismantle it and fix/mod it to serve me for some time.

Base model JB2000 with no extras.

Now it is updated with:

Added padding at wrist and outside of bicep

Modded elbow floaters closer to elbow and angled inwards a little

Shoulder blocks renewed and bicep protectors modified to Brown extra bicep protection style

Backpanel, sleeves, front part and floaters tied together with nylon and adjustable

Extra heart protection plate

Added padding inside at joint between rib protection and frontpanel

New strapping, rubbers and velcro where needed

I think that was all done for now.

We are hopefully getting back on ice in june. Just can't for it....

IMG_20200518_185023.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

It lives on ..... nice job Arde.

Thanks, it sure does.

And welcome back, it's never too late to return huh? I was looking at your photo and the sleek lookin Brown but I can't stop thinking that those sleeves are short, damn short, tooo short! I've gotten so many pucks to my wrists which is why I look to have sufficient wrap around.

26 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Nice!

Thanks.

Maybe some photos to clarify the mods 😄 

Behind.

IMG_20200519_105412.thumb.jpg.25184d37123edb69dff3d0681f1a6d1b.jpg

Closer and inside.

IMG_20200519_105554.thumb.jpg.881eb6de7a9a3c93b504bed517b56d2e.jpg

Shoulder and bicep protection

IMG_20200519_105512.thumb.jpg.c8a92529ed41c93f84d757ef367abe59.jpg

Binding system from above. 

IMG_20200519_105521.thumb.jpg.6f94f5294e415d0687500bf718158bff.jpg

• Like 2

A few days and some adjusting, wearing it on with neckguard, off, with pants, off. I decided to cut the bottom line off, and a half of the next line up to make it clean. And in the same sewing operation moved the clip up one row to get some space between pants. Some rubber cord is to be installed on front of my pants that then attach to that clip. Original loop is too long and positioned too low.IMG_20200522_141243.thumb.jpg.6ff6e5cca74653cf1c7711aa50a98312.jpg

And while there, I was to cut and trim the wings on the back part, that are way too long for my skinny body.

I first had them inside of those white liners and strapping going over, but the wings are just too thick and felt annoying in there.

But then I realised that it would work nicely by just opening up the white liner parts stiching to rib protector, and tuck the end of the wing in between there.

This mod is also easily sewn back up if it isn't working afterall as nothing was trimmed yet.

IMG_20200522_141207.thumb.jpg.f126e3620e3e889d005438e08863220b.jpg

Now I just have to get on the ice soon. There's nothing much left to do 😁

• Like 2

I was looking at your photo and the sleek lookin Brown but I can't stop thinking that those sleeves are short, damn short, tooo short! I've gotten so many pucks to my wrists which is why I look to have sufficient wrap around.

Yes, the sleeves are shorter than usual, at my request.  Even at full extension the cuffs of my BROWN trapper and blocker (JB2200) snugged up against the cuff of my C/A. I do have short arms, 32", I stand 5'7" and shrinking (70 years old - it happens).

John wasn't keen on making my pants (JB2000) so smallish either.  "Bulk is good" is his mantra. I had asked for less bulk to allow for quicker movement.  Keep in mind here fellow 'tenders that I play in a no slapshot, non contact division, minimum age 55, so the type of shots I regularly face are not boomers from the point, more close in, two on ones, deflections, so quick response is essential.

There was talk on the news last evening that some municipalities may not be able to afford the reopening of skating facilities. "Oh the horror" ....  this is Canada.

I have a substantial COVID-19 cache of recyclable cans and and bottles which I would gladly donate to the cause.

8C7F9545-2278-4DA9-92A2-403F2979E770_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

I stand 5'7" and shrinking (70 years old - it happens).

At 62 & same height, I hear ya!

3 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

John wasn't keen on making my pants (JB2000) so smallish either.  "Bulk is good" is his mantra. I had asked for less bulk to allow for quicker movement.  Keep in mind here fellow 'tenders that I play in a no slapshot, non contact division, minimum age 55, so the type of shots I regularly face are not boomers from the point, more close in, two on ones, deflections, so quick response is essential.

I've always said it's better to play with a group that has a few boomers on the blue line. It sure clears the sight-lines when they wind up !

• Like 1