Brown Chest Protector Thread

• 3 months later...

I have a Brown 2200, no neck  collar (pics another day), and I've worn it 5 times. I'm having an issue with seeing my pads, feet area when in a butterfly. My neck piece on my mask is hitting the breast plate, for lack of a better word. I've never had this happen before. I really don't want to take the resonator plate off that protects upper chest and clavicle. Any suggestions? Thank you. Mask does not have a long throat protection, and I do not wear a dangler, and my custom throat guard does not interfere. Been playing for long time and never had this issue with any C/A. (53). I've worn other Brown, Passau, Vaughn, etc..and I do love my Brown C/A.

Thanks gents,

Sid

Edited by Sid

Well there aren't too many possibilities here. Do you tuck or not?

If you tuck then the chest part as a whole is just a bit too long or tall. My Brown was first going to my friend but he had just the same problem with it that you have with yours. He described it like the chest is making a bubble, arching away from chest. He also tucks like I do.

I didn't take any chances with the unit and cut a row and a half of the padding away from the bottom and it's been working very nicely.

So first thing to do is confirm the right length! I'd do this with pants on too but no shirt so you can observe what's happening when you go down to BF.

On 11/3/2020 at 7:18 AM, Sid said:

Thanks. Yes that is exactly the issue. It's custom, with  a lot of measurements sent, but I hear you. I'll play around with keeping out my pants so to speak and see what happens. Thanks ArdeFIN !!

If it is a brand new c/a custom sized to your measurements and you're still having issues the first person you should have contacted was Brown.  Did you mark on your spec sheet that it is going to be worn tucked in?

Hi guys.  New to the board. Thanks for posting all this new information on equipment because it's been quite a while since I've bought new gear (I think in 2002 I bought my blocker and glove).  I'm barely beer league now and just play in pick ups and help in player's clinics as a target on skates, but it's still so much fun!

I'm looking to finally update my 1990 Brown full right C&A from which my belly has grown out. It's a stock model that always seemed a little bit too broad in the chest and would bunch out a little when cradling chest shots. I want to say it's a JB 550 or 551?

I obviously don't need the Russian Spec 2400 but still want good protection for those big windups from the blue line (I LOVE those so much!).  Which Brown model would y'all suggest would fit my level?  I'm seeing some guys having issues with bulky heart pads so I'm not sure if that's a necessity for me.   

IMG_4545.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pelle31WannaBe said:

Hi guys.  New to the board. Thanks for posting all this new information on equipment because it's been quite a while since I've bought new gear (I think in 2002 I bought my blocker and glove).  I'm barely beer league now and just play in pick ups and help in player's clinics as a target on skates, but it's still so much fun!

I'm looking to finally update my 1990 Brown full right C&A from which my belly has grown out. It's a stock model that always seemed a little bit too broad in the chest and would bunch out a little when cradling chest shots. I want to say it's a JB 550 or 551?

I obviously don't need the Russian Spec 2400 but still want good protection for those big windups from the blue line (I LOVE those so much!).  Which Brown model would y'all suggest would fit my level?  I'm seeing some guys having issues with bulky heart pads so I'm not sure if that's a necessity for me.   

IMG_4545.jpeg

Any of the standard spec units would work for you. Brown does every unit custom now, so they can build it exactly how you want it. Probably the 2200 or 2000 would be best.

On 11/2/2020 at 4:23 PM, Sid said:

I have a Brown 2200, no neck  collar (pics another day), and I've worn it 5 times. I'm having an issue with seeing my pads, feet area when in a butterfly. My neck piece on my mask is hitting the breast plate, for lack of a better word. I've never had this happen before. I really don't want to take the resonator plate off that protects upper chest and clavicle. Any suggestions? Thank you. Mask does not have a long throat protection, and I do not wear a dangler, and my custom throat guard does not interfere. Been playing for long time and never had this issue with any C/A. (53). I've worn other Brown, Passau, Vaughn, etc..and I do love my Brown C/A.

Thanks gents,

Sid

I had the same issue when my Brown was still new and stiff. Took about 10 ice times to get somewhat comfortable and now after a year of use it is finally getting really flexible.

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Desert Tendy said:

Has anyone reviewed a raised edges shoulder floater on a brown chesty?  I’m looking to place an order but on the fence regarding raised edges. 

The design principle was to create something like an outer roll on a goal pad, where pucks hitting the raised edge wouldn't skip or roll over.

Personally, I don't see such a small ridge doing much if the shot is hard enough.  On top of that, the ridges are in areas that will shift upon impact (outer shoulder and arm floaters) ... but YMMV

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 11:44 AM, Westcoast Tender said:

Thought I’d post some pictures of my new 2400 chest unit (Blue unit)  This is a regular 2400.  I already own a 2400 Russian spec (Black) but wanted a regular one for less intense games.  Just to be clear the Russian spec is awesome.  I’ve never had a stinger or any issues with it, just decided to get a second one and thought I’d get a regular one to give it a go.

In case anyone is curious to the differences...

The obvious stuff first.  Bicep protection.  Regular one has smaller rectangular piece.  It does have plastic piece in it.  Russian one has bigger oval piece. 

Shoulder floaters. Regular one non-segmented.  Russian one is segmented.  The shoulder floaters on the Russian also are  thicker.  Definitely thicker foam.  I think the plastic is the same thickness.

Not so obvious.  Shoulder cap under shoulder floaters.  Russian one has plastic and high density foam.  Regular is soft foam, no plastic.

Backside where arms attach.  Russian has small soft foam piece where arms are sewn in.  Regular reinforced with leather, no foam piece.

Weight difference.  Russian = 8.05lbs. Regular = 7.63lbs.  I’m small, so I would consider these senior x-small/small size.

Haven't worn the new one yet but eager to try it.

ECFC0F2D-1D4F-4F64-916C-6EB3C871D0E6.jpeg

9193271B-D2F2-498B-B2CC-C0FE51FF5E23.jpeg

B8352A35-D9D0-4ABE-966F-4E7A1AF7D22E.jpeg

2F353431-762E-4A9E-B06D-9E7899A00583.jpeg

6F8767C9-599D-4E8A-B776-299ED0CF4AE3.jpeg

85DB1DFA-BE18-4422-A865-07060F9D7D39.jpeg

77DE2C88-1954-481A-B311-DFCEA8180C05.jpeg

86BF9640-AB20-4D87-B518-9CA4CA778916.jpeg

960A03C8-6ED3-45EE-8E91-B1E86B60C4B1.jpeg

3FDF7767-4C14-4F6B-B60A-E264CDE1FE53.jpeg

In the market for a new chesty and I’ve narrowed it down between a Kenesky and a Brown and leaning towards the Brown since I can’t get much information on the PP1. How do you like these two? Is it worth getting the Russian spec or have you not gotten any stingers with your regular spec? I play 4-5 nights a week from all levels but most are higher level with guys who have played some level of pro and D1 college kids who have some decent shots. Most of the guys are still in their 20’s to early 30’s they I play against. Just wanted a recommendation on if I’d need the Russian spec or if the regular would be fine. I’m a very mobile goalie and play the puck a ton so movement is also key. 

On 7/9/2021 at 6:49 AM, Silv_30 said:

In the market for a new chesty and I’ve narrowed it down between a Kenesky and a Brown and leaning towards the Brown since I can’t get much information on the PP1. How do you like these two? Is it worth getting the Russian spec or have you not gotten any stingers with your regular spec? I play 4-5 nights a week from all levels but most are higher level with guys who have played some level of pro and D1 college kids who have some decent shots. Most of the guys are still in their 20’s to early 30’s they I play against. Just wanted a recommendation on if I’d need the Russian spec or if the regular would be fine. I’m a very mobile goalie and play the puck a ton so movement is also key. 

I honestly think you would be fine with the stock Brown unit.  They're already very protective, Russian Spec is a little overboard in my opinion.

• Like 1

I ended up going with the Russian Spec just because I'm 50+ and can afford it now.  I was coming from a loose and no longer fitting 30 year old JB551 and while the first try or two was a little awkward, the thing is like a second skin now.  I do not notice any limitations in stick handling, but one review said it was heavy, and it is...when it's not on you. But slide into that gorgeous design and I don't sense any weight. However, you cannot easily reach your face since the forearm and bicep shells prevent your elbow from bending far enough (and John notes this in his instructions).

Even though I'm level 3 beer league (got the belly lengthened for the extra belly real estate and the arms shorted for my stand up style), I'm glad for the extra protection whether the Russian Specs saved me or not.  High chest shots are loud but harmless, arm shots are wonderfully insulated, and shoulder shots just beautifully glance up and off.  I love the 2400.

IMG_9560.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I just looked over the Brown website and noticed they no longer offer the built-in neck guards. They were really the only brand that had that feature that I can remember. I wonder if it had to do with the gap in protection between the ring of foam of the throat area and the chest protector itself. It was only connected by a piece of fabric with no padding in it. A separate throat guard would have padding in that area. The main advantage of the attached neck protector was not having to carry an additional piece of equipment around. I ordered my 2100 with the neck guard included. I did get dinged a few times in that gap over the years. I removed it last year and wear my Maltese throat guard with the 2100 now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I just looked over the Brown website and noticed they no longer offer the built-in neck guards. They were really the only brand that had that feature that I can remember. I wonder if it had to do with the gap in protection between the ring of foam of the throat area and the chest protector itself. It was only connected by a piece of fabric with no padding in it. A separate throat guard would have padding in that area. The main advantage of the attached neck protector was not having to carry an additional piece of equipment around. I ordered my 2100 with the neck guard included. I did get dinged a few times in that gap over the years. I removed it last year and wear my Maltese throat guard with the 2100 now.

Easy fix for attaching:

I remove the piece of padding across the neck opening, and use a hole punch to make holes in the chesty. And then lace my neck guard into the position I want.

11 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Oh it was finally updated with that information?

I had a whole saga with them not including the built-in collar on my 2400 C/A that I ordered early this year, when:

1. It is shown as the default configuration on the website for the 2400 C/A.
  2. The radio button existed in the online customizer for it.
  3. At no point during the build process was it communicated that it was not available.
  4. The finished item was shipped to me without a picture of the unit and without my knowledge (I had to call them several weeks past their estimated "completion date" to ask if it had shipped yet and even get a tracking number from them).

Ordering it with the built-in collar was one of the features I most wanted from the unit, and if at any step it had been shown that it was not available, I would have not ordered it. I only found out it had not come with it when I opened the box, much to my disappointment.

Unfortunately, the response from Brown was sub-par - basically told me that I'd have to use it as is and get a separate neck guard, so I eventually had to file a dispute with my CC company and they resolved it in my favor. I'm still sad about it because I was really looking forward to having a chest protector made exactly to all my specs and I lost a lot of respect for Brown in the process. 

They’re really slow to update their site. I think their newest line, the 2500 (Pads and gloves), is like five years old and still not up on their site. It seems they focus more on social media, posting all products that go out each week. They have plenty of new features available that are not reflected on their website. 

Sorry about your experience. However, the integrated collar isn’t much in terms of protection. A separate one would be more protective. 

Edited by WillyGrips13
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

They’re really slow to update their site. I think their newest line, the 2500 (Pads and gloves), is like five years old and still not up on their site. It seems they focus more on social media, posting all products that go out each week. They have plenty of new features available that are not reflected on their website. 

Sorry about your experience. However, the integrated collar isn’t much in terms of protection. A separate one would be more protective. 

Yes, I have a separate one. My point was that if you're making bespoke units, there should be communication to the customer at some point along that chain that a feature is no longer available and they dropped that ball on several occasions with no effort to correct it.

The social media thing was what prompted me to take action in the first place - if you tell me post facto a feature is no longer available but post numerous pictures of other units with that feature to your instagram, then it looks less like a "this isn't available" and more like a "we messed up and don't want to fix it." Otherwise, I would have lived with the fact that it didn't come as ordered.

Some time ago someone here or in the FB mentioned that Browns posts there about new gear are atleast partly from history. Someone got a new chesty and a gear bag to here in Finland and I asked something about them and congratulated them for their new gear. Reply was something like "yes we've had it for over a year now so not very new to us anymore. But it's a good gear anyways now that we've been using it for a while... 😁

Edited by ArdeFIN

2 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Some time ago someone here or in the FB mentioned that Browns posts there about new gear are atleast partly from history. Someone got a new chesty and a gear bag to here in Finland and I asked something about them and congratulated them for their new gear. Reply was something like "yes we've had it for over a year now so not very new to us anymore. But it's a good gear anyways now that we've been using it for a while... 😁

Yeah, a guy in my league got new leg pads from Brown. I saw them in person and wondered why they weren’t posted on Facebook or Instagram. It must’ve been two months later they finally posted them. Their pictures are often blurry, too. 

On 7/14/2021 at 4:35 PM, Pelle31WannaBe said:

I ended up going with the Russian Spec just because I'm 50+ and can afford it now.  I was coming from a loose and no longer fitting 30 year old JB551 and while the first try or two was a little awkward, the thing is like a second skin now.  I do not notice any limitations in stick handling, but one review said it was heavy, and it is...when it's not on you. But slide into that gorgeous design and I don't sense any weight. However, you cannot easily reach your face since the forearm and bicep shells prevent your elbow from bending far enough (and John notes this in his instructions).

Even though I'm level 3 beer league (got the belly lengthened for the extra belly real estate and the arms shorted for my stand up style), I'm glad for the extra protection whether the Russian Specs saved me or not.  High chest shots are loud but harmless, arm shots are wonderfully insulated, and shoulder shots just beautifully glance up and off.  I love the 2400.

IMG_9560.jpeg

Sorry Pelle31...I haven’t been on the site much recently. I’m glad you ordered the Russian spec. Turns out, I sent my regular 2400 back and had John add the Russian spec padding to it, so now I have two 2400 beefed up. Yes, I felt some stingers on the arms and shoulders. Nothing major but enough that I knew when packing my gear up for a game or training, I’d always gravitate to the Russian spec one. Figured the regular one would rarely get used, so I got it beefed up as well.  I’ve taken quite a few shots in-close off the shoulders and arms, absolutely no issues. 
Your chestie looks great, nice colours. 

• 1 month later...

So for my first summer in Memphis, Tennessee, I was concerned the heat would make wearing my Brown 2100 unbearable. I started the season using my Vaughn 8800. However, since I was playing in the Advanced division in addition to the Intermediate division I was already playing in, I wanted the added protection and size of the Brown 2100. I went back to the Brown full time for both teams mid-season and was able to deal with the added weight and heat of the unit. I still may use the Vaughn for drop-ins or an over-35 mid-week skate we do. I like having both options. Figured this account would help those debating the added weight and lack of breathability of Brown C/As.

AD32D45F-EE4C-441D-B18C-5C7B35AC9C43_4_5005_c.jpeg.6e9a73533d497c7048f48f8d4d179588.jpegAC32E72A-C25C-4E58-BDEA-59D22C9CB0B4_4_5005_c.jpeg.05ad9a3577a368d36ec054d47b9611f6.jpeg

Here I am in the Brown 2100 looking somewhat confused and concerned 😳.

• Haha 1