Warrior G4 Pads Break-In

diyas prawara

I know the above answer may seem obvious, but he is right

I have R/ GT and I am a CCM / Reebok dude, Ive been in mine since July, and I am only now getting the hang of them. I play minimum once a week. I am a Ball Hockey goalie if that matters, but I imagine the fit is the same issue.

I have G4 Sr.s but they are certainly a lot stiffer than any other pad I've ever had. I've played about 20 times in them and I'm starting to get a decent curve in them just by playing and storing upside down after use. The ankle is getting a little better as well.

G4 pro's I'm sure will require a significantly longer period to break in but I also believe you should have gone into the G4 pad with expectations of it always being stiff. If they ever get to a point where the pads are soft then something is either broken internally or the pads are simply used up.

To help break them in tie them up in a tight "S" shape and leave them like that for a decent amount of time. Make sure to put a piece of padding at the point of contact at the top and bottom of your pads so whatever you use to tie them doesn't deform the toe and thigh rise. I haven't used this method on these pads but in the past, I have used a bungie cord or simply wedged them under something heavy to achieve the curve I wanted.

• 3 months later...
On 11/14/2018 at 8:19 AM, diyas prawara said:

my g4 pads just came yesterday that i bought from goaliemonkey.com. i went straight to training and i feel not comfortable enough. do you know how to break in pads properly? previously i used CCM Premier R1.9 pads for 1 year

Here are a couple of things you can do..

1. Loosen the nylon strap at the knee.  This comes in a little bit of a snug setting.  Most goalies wear it loose.  It's meant to keep your knee on the stack during scramble plays, not so much for cranking it down super tight.  The neoprene strap does most of the work.

2. Loosen the heel strap setting.  Remove the Slikclip at the heel and lessen the fold over to make the heel strap longer.

3. Loosen the leg channel strap setting.  Easy to do when you look at where the calf wrap is attached.

• 5 weeks later...

@coopaloop1234 and @Kirk3190 are on the right track. And unlike playing with your trapper or your block in front of the tele whilst watching American Idol, you just can’t break these in without playing in them. I typically go to a few public skate sessions with a new set of pads. If it’s not a busy session, the skate guard may even let you have a circle or the crease to play in them. Storing them upside down like others have mentioned will help a fair bit. You are going with a different system, you really need to play with the adjustments as well as play in the pads to get them to feel right. 

Archived