True/VH 2 piece skate A TRUE DISAPPOINTMENT

Big2

Ultima/Titan - I inquired at 3 top LHS about Bauer Custom Goalie skates.

First store - originally told me that yes Bauer would make a skate from a 3D scan this is the shmoe that sold me the idea of getting a True skate!

Second/Third stores - told me that Bauer did not offer a custom skate from a 3D scan and the third store is where I bought the skates last night as they where the only ones with all 3 options available in my sons size!

Not sure but I believe Titan is right a skate from a 3D scan, regardless I find this disappointing as they do player skates?

The retailer should be able to get an excel order form, where you would have to get a person who really knows what they're doing to mark where in the toe box and arches to stretch the boot or not. I think question is whether or not the retailer WILL do the order, not if they CAN. Still waiting to hear if The Goalie Crease will do one for me, but the online chat for Bauer (their "fit experts" for what that's worth) did say that a normal non-scan order can still be done.

As for the scan release, it's just like any other product line release, the player stuff got released last/this year, goalies get 2019.

13 hours ago, Big2 said:

Ultima/Titan - I inquired at 3 top LHS about Bauer Custom Goalie skates.

First store - originally told me that yes Bauer would make a skate from a 3D scan this is the shmoe that sold me the idea of getting a True skate!

Second/Third stores - told me that Bauer did not offer a custom skate from a 3D scan and the third store is where I bought the skates last night as they where the only ones with all 3 options available in my sons size!

Not sure but I believe Titan is right a skate from a 3D scan, regardless I find this disappointing as they do player skates?

I THINK the 3D scanning available with player skates is coming with the release of the 2X Pro. It’s NOT available now. 

Any custom ordered today would be done the old fashion way. 

On 11/23/2018 at 8:31 AM, Mroy31 said:

The retailer should be able to get an excel order form, where you would have to get a person who really knows what they're doing to mark where in the toe box and arches to stretch the boot or not. I think question is whether or not the retailer WILL do the order, not if they CAN. Still waiting to hear if The Goalie Crease will do one for me, but the online chat for Bauer (their "fit experts" for what that's worth) did say that a normal non-scan order can still be done.

As for the scan release, it's just like any other product line release, the player stuff got released last/this year, goalies get 2019.

They no longer offer the excel sheet style. its all on the 3d skate lab to simplify the options/process.

• 3 weeks later...

TGN - I bought a pair of Bauer 2S skates for my son and he is very happy!

Originally he tried the 3MM blade for about a week and he had nothing good to say about a 3MM blade so I pulled the trigger on 3 sets of Fat Blades form Step, upon which he realized that 4MM is the way to go!

Step blade - kind of pissed off out of the 3 sets one of them does not fit well in the holder so after contacting Step direct I was told to bring them back to the store, Step is going to look at them. Obviously the section that goes into the holder is slightly more than 3MM!

Will be putting up the 3MM LS 5G blades up for sale ( size 10 if your interested ) the quality of these blades seems very good !

Finally FYI at the LHS I bought his Bauer's at they had a 2 piece True skate on the shelf and if you took a look at their holder you could see a small imperfection on the holder being slight off INCREDIBLE

2 hours ago, Big2 said:

Finally FYI at the LHS I bought his Bauer's at they had a 2 piece True skate on the shelf and if you took a look at their holder you could see a small imperfection on the holder being slight off INCREDIBLE

each skate is handmade thats why lol 

4 hours ago, Big2 said:

TGN - I bought a pair of Bauer 2S skates for my son and he is very happy!

Originally he tried the 3MM blade for about a week and he had nothing good to say about a 3MM blade so I pulled the trigger on 3 sets of Fat Blades form Step, upon which he realized that 4MM is the way to go!

Step blade - kind of pissed off out of the 3 sets one of them does not fit well in the holder so after contacting Step direct I was told to bring them back to the store, Step is going to look at them. Obviously the section that goes into the holder is slightly more than 3MM!

Will be putting up the 3MM LS 5G blades up for sale ( size 10 if your interested ) the quality of these blades seems very good !

For anyone who has 1X or 1S and wants an upgrade... I strongly recommend grabbing this steel.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

This is the trade off of hand made vs mass production grade.

Currently, yes it is. But it shouldn't be. I'm not familiar with True's construction process but it seems that it wouldn't add much if any cost or time to the process to just make sure it's right.

I'm sure we've all heard it, "A job worth doing is worth doing right", or "Measure twice, cut once", both work for my purpose

1 hour ago, old but slow said:

Currently, yes it is. But it shouldn't be. I'm not familiar with True's construction process but it seems that it wouldn't add much if any cost or time to the process to just make sure it's right.

I'm sure we've all heard it, "A job worth doing is worth doing right", or "Measure twice, cut once", both work for my purpose

I've been to VH's facility for a tour before they were purchased by True. It was a few craftsmen assembling skates.

I agree that QC is something that can be easily fixed. However, when each skate is a snowflake it's significantly harder. When each size 9 skate is the same, it's was easier. 

With that said, it's surprising a big company like True hasn't improved this part of the legacy VH business

TGN I'm sorry but there is absolutely no excuse or reason for them two screw up two pair os skates in a row!  Like you say above True should have improved on the VH Mfg process I am sure that they are aware of all the issues with the product!  Regarding the holder issue I would think a jig to hold the boot in place and some form of template to drill the holes should solve most if not all of their problems??  BUT at the end of the day NO SKATE should leave the factory with a crooked holder!!

Custom made should not equal poor quality - like I said 50% of the small sample size ( 6 pairs ) have had various issues, when you drop $ 1K for a pair of skates its frustrating.  My sons 2S skates where perfect out of the box/he is comfortable in them, actually he finds them more confortable than his Reactors which he had for 2 years plus there are no manufacturing defects and they will outlast any TRUE SKATE

So unless you cant find a pair of off the shelf skates that dont fit you properly I would avoid buying TRUE SKATES it is clear to me that their mfg process is not in control like I told the TRUE Rep my son doesn't play in the NHL nor does he have and endless amount of money to change skates a couple of times a year!

17 hours ago, old but slow said:

OBS - the cost of pumping out poor quality products will hurt them more than spending a few thousand dollars on jigs/templates …...plus anything that is required to mfg a good products!

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Our old pal @Hills has some concerns about the quality too 

As far as comfort is concerned - my son said they where very comfortable but so are his 2S! I will try to get a better feel for this over the holidays!  I am sure that the True are really confortable out of the box!

• 2 weeks later...

My dilemma below with True and I am about to cancel my order if I can. Sad that they say 'Custom' but really mean 'Retail custom' which is not he same as a true 'Custom'. No Pun intended.

I went to my local shop (Centre Ice) in Denver, Colorado. I spent over 1.5 hours just getting my feet scanned (Scanner wouldnt work as it was 'Warming up' forever on the iPad, The scanner could not get a good 360 degree of either foot due to my arch and my heel). This was already causing me anxiety of even purchasing a True goalie 2 piece skate. But then I went with the flow and finally was able to complete my order the same day on Nov 30th, 2018 for $899.99 (US dollars). I have contacted by shop who has tried to contact their customer service rep but also my shop and I have tried to contact customer service directly through the email address True gives out on their website but we have not received a response in over 2 weeks. When I spoke to my shop last Saturday, they told me that True was closed down for the Holiday's until Jan 2, 2019. Totally cool and understand that. However I have not received any email about the progress of my skates (my local shop said I should be emailed regarding my skates a few times during the process). I have not had the money taken out of my account still, so it seems to me like either my order did not go through or I may be getting free skates in the end. But the issue here in the customer service and the forums regarding True goalie skates and the issues that have been coming up as of late. On True's website and with the local shop placing the order with me through the App with the 3D images of my feet, I feel there are custom options that are not being shown that can be placed. This is a custom boot and should allow a buyer to get all the custom options that are out there. I see this guy on youtube (Trav4Oilers) who plays for a college and it on their back up sqaud (not making the NHL or even pro probably in his life) but yet he can get Bauer holders with 3mm blades when walking directly into True to get his new skates but yet I can't get that on mine? I see NHL goalies getting the VH/True 4 chrome logo on the side in different colors (Yellow for Murray on Pitt) yet I cant get that? If these are custom boots from beginning to end, why can't I get these same options? With the limitless of the custom regarding the exterior (holder, blade, color of logo) and with the issues so far with customer service and this becoming a pain - maybe I should cancel my order and just go get a retail pair of 2S off the shelf and save myself $150. No reason on going 'custom' if you truly cant go 'custom' with all the options out there because I am not a Youtube personality or a pro. I have money and can pay for any additional custom option as that's not a problem. But a custom skate should be as custom as it can get meaning whatever options pro's are getting and have readily available to them to pick, I should get those same options. When I placed my order on Nov 30th, the wait time was 2-3 weeks. That means my skates shouldve been shipped before Christmas eve. But I have no clue where in production they are or if they are even in production/if my order was actually received or not. I am just really irritated at this whole dilemma regarding skates and it shouldnt be this difficult to get a pair of skates let alone a 'custom' pair but yet I cant get all the same options as pros and a youtbe personality who has 41K followers but yet he is a Joe Smoe.

Archived