Bauer Speed Plates

Mroy31

I used to use Superfeet, the yellow hockey ones and then the newer yellow hockey carbon version. They worked pretty well, definitely an upgrade over the stock insoles, but they were lacking some arch structure and I would still get some foot soreness every few games. 

Decided on the Speed Plates because they were supposed to mold to your foot and then be a more rigid support. Even though the Superfeet (especially the newer hockey carbon model) have a rigid piece through the arch area, it's really still part of the heel cup support more than anything

Baking

The guy at PHL baked them for me in store, but it was right at closing and he kind of rushed the process. There were a couple wrinkles along the inside edges that I sort of felt, but may have just been cosmetic. Decided to re-bake them at home. 

That process was super easy, follow the directions on the package, the black lines on the arch disappear when they are at the right temp, slip them in your skates, lace them up, 5 minutes sitting, 10 minutes standing (only got 5 and 5 in store) and you're good. 

Fit and feel

When they are cooled, they just feel like a hard plastic, so more structure than Superfeet, but didn't seem like it would be all that comfortable. The material on top is a pretty standard fabric with some grip lines at the toes. But it turns out that works pretty well when the overall structure is molded to your foot. I haven't had any arch pain or noticed any feeling like I wished I had some extra cushion. 

Nothing scientific in terms of energy transfer in pushes and all that, just very satisfied with the product. There's a 2.0 version with what looks like upgraded materials on top and bottom (last pic), will probably look into those when I figure out my next set of skates. 

20181121_202333.jpg

20181121_202417.jpg

20181121_202446.jpg

Screenshot_20181121-164158.jpg

These remind me alot of the custom fit Sidas footbeds Graf use to offer( don't know if they still do ?) about 7 or 8 years ago. I had got a pair for my Ultra G50's and liked them but after about a year or two they broke down and I went back to standard insoles. The worst part with these Speed Plate is that they seem to break apart after a while, there is alot posted online about it. I would love to get a set for my custom Bauer's but until I here there not cracking or breaking I don't want to drop $50 on them. 

No signs of cracking on my pair, been using them about 6 months, 2/3 times per week.  The 1.0 versions I do see in stores are all discounted, which based on some googling after @Snowman30's comment, is probably in line with a long-term design defect/deficiency.  Those comments though, still mostly say "they feel great" up until they've cracked.

Looks like if anyone is looking to get into them, might want to go the route of the 2.0.

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2018 at 7:46 PM, Mroy31 said:

I used to use Superfeet, the yellow hockey ones and then the newer yellow hockey carbon version. They worked pretty well, definitely an upgrade over the stock insoles, but they were lacking some arch structure and I would still get some foot soreness every few games. 

Decided on the Speed Plates because they were supposed to mold to your foot and then be a more rigid support. Even though the Superfeet (especially the newer hockey carbon model) have a rigid piece through the arch area, it's really still part of the heel cup support more than anything

Baking

The guy at PHL baked them for me in store, but it was right at closing and he kind of rushed the process. There were a couple wrinkles along the inside edges that I sort of felt, but may have just been cosmetic. Decided to re-bake them at home. 

That process was super easy, follow the directions on the package, the black lines on the arch disappear when they are at the right temp, slip them in your skates, lace them up, 5 minutes sitting, 10 minutes standing (only got 5 and 5 in store) and you're good. 

Fit and feel

When they are cooled, they just feel like a hard plastic, so more structure than Superfeet, but didn't seem like it would be all that comfortable. The material on top is a pretty standard fabric with some grip lines at the toes. But it turns out that works pretty well when the overall structure is molded to your foot. I haven't had any arch pain or noticed any feeling like I wished I had some extra cushion. 

Nothing scientific in terms of energy transfer in pushes and all that, just very satisfied with the product. There's a 2.0 version with what looks like upgraded materials on top and bottom (last pic), will probably look into those when I figure out my next set of skates. 

20181121_202333.jpg

20181121_202417.jpg

20181121_202446.jpg

Screenshot_20181121-164158.jpg

Cold skates and hot speed plates is the right method?

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

Cold skates and hot speed plates is the right method?

That's how I did my original speed plates with my 1S (and also the directions on the packaging too I'm pretty sure). You kind of have to be set up right in front of your oven and have the laces super loose. The speed plates will be very malleable so it's pretty easy to get them in. 

If you wanted to bake your skates again anyway, you could go to a shop. But as I remember the time to soften the speed plates is way less than to soften the boots, so it's a bit overkill if you don't need to form your boots again. 

I did mine at home and had the skate in the oven for ~8min and then threw the speed plate for the last 2 or so mins. Then just put it in and stand for a min and then sat down for a while with it on to finish the bake. But you can do just the plates in a cold skate. Super easy to do at home as the arch area changes color when they are ready. 

17 minutes ago, aircanuck said:

@TheGoalNet Where are people getting them from? I am having a tough time finding them in Canada.

I got mine from Sportzone in Waterloo, but they had like 4 pairs on display and just happened to have my size. Looks like you can buy direct from the Bauer site and I think shipping is free if you send it to a retailer, but I haven't tried that for anything yet. 

Archived