CCM Premier 2: Need help finalizing order

Kaveman42

Hi Guys,

Just found this forum. I'm in the process of ordering a set of P2's and could use some input from others with experience. Thanks in advanced.

So far this is what I'm thinking but have a few concerns:

• Size: 33+2 (I'm 5'9" w/ 19.5 FTK)
  • Precurve Double Internal Break, no external
  • Material: All Speedskin

1) Should I go with +1.5 vs +2? I know its personal preference, but anyone regret going +2 or can you get use to the 1/2" extra once it breaks in. They didn't have a +2 in store to see in person.

2) Is Double Internal too much? Sure I have a narrow butterfly, but I fear the pads will become too soft with the second break. Would you recommend going single internal and have the pads naturally curve at the top as they break in? I don't want an external break because I hate torsion flex.

3) Anyone regrets getting speedskin on the face of their pads or getting an all speedskin blocker and glove? Any issues with premature wear? Anyone go with solid pleather face and speedskin and notice them holding up better that others with all speedskin?

4) Anyone notice that the P2 runs about 1/2" shorter on the knee stack than the eflex 3? My knee rolls off the eflex3 at size 33" but when i tried P2 size 33, my knee was well past the halfway point of the landing pad which is good. Felt more secure.

I've never used a set of PIIs but I can help you out a bit. 

1) Depends on the size of your thighs. CCM has a sizing chart on their catalog...

http://microsites.ccmhockey.com/microsites/eflex/core/img/18CCM_GoalieCustomizer_RETAIL_2.pdf

Measure the top of your knee to where you want it to end up on your leg (usually I would recommend to just below the crotch, but this is personal preference) and use the measurement they provide. In my honest opinion, a +1.5 should be just fine. While you will get more coverage with a +2, the extra mobility is worth the tradeoff. 

2) No. Premier is a solid core pad. They won't "naturally" curve unless you force them to (i.e. place them upside down after skates). While a pad will obviously get softer with continued use, this is one of the pads I least expect to "settle" the way you described.

3) Speedskin held up fine for me when I demo'd EF3s for about 15-20 skates. 99% certain that Speedskin is just Jenpro with a different finish. It will definitely show puck marks easier, however. If you're concerned, I know a lot of guys like to mix up the material options as long as Speedskin is on the sliding surface, it shouldn't matter. 

4) Likely due to the new strapping. The "quick motion strap" is just CCMs version of the Professor strap, which is designed to make a pad more responsive, but also sit up higher on the leg...think that your calf muscle is also pushing the pad up when this strap is snug. 

7 hours ago, Kaveman42 said:

Hi Guys,

Just found this forum. I'm in the process of ordering a set of P2's and could use some input from others with experience. Thanks in advanced.

1) Should I go with +1.5 vs +2? I know its personal preference, but anyone regret going +2 or can you get use to the 1/2" extra once it breaks in. They didn't have a +2 in store to see in person.

2) Is Double Internal too much? Sure I have a narrow butterfly, but I fear the pads will become too soft with the second break. Would you recommend going single internal and have the pads naturally curve at the top as they break in? I don't want an external break because I hate torsion flex.

3) Anyone regrets getting speedskin on the face of their pads or getting an all speedskin blocker and glove? Any issues with premature wear? Anyone go with solid pleather face and speedskin and notice them holding up better that others with all speedskin?

4) Anyone notice that the P2 runs about 1/2" shorter on the knee stack than the eflex 3? My knee rolls off the eflex3 at size 33" but when i tried P2 size 33, my knee was well past the halfway point of the landing pad which is good. Felt more secure.

Consider looking at this thread about Speedskin:

Hey kaveman42, I responded to your pm, it might cover off some of your questions.

I know legs sizes are all different, but I'm 6'1 and use 33+2 in these pads. My retailer had double break pads in stock, and to me, it was too much, but that's a personal thing.

Coming from 33+1 eflex 3.9s, I found my knees hit the stack in the same spot. You trying them on with knee pads? The strapping is definitely different, as mentioned.

I originally demod 33+1 eflex 3 because they didnt have premiers available to demo. On the eflex my knee was a bit unstable when playing, it was landing low on the landing pad so it felt like it was going to slip off between the landing pad and calf wrap. When I went in to order my set, I tried on the P2 33+1 and my knee landed at the top half of the landing pad which felt more secure. When I demo'd the eflex I wore my knee pads and all my gear. When i was in store trying the P2 I just wore my skates, nothing else. Even if its exactly the same, I'm sure the landing pad grip on the P2 will help enough to where my knee won't slip. The eflex wasn't terrible, just didn't feel perfect. Either way there is no turning back now.

I ended up ordering my set at 33+1.5 with a single internal break with precurve and all speedskin. I was debating on whether to get only the face jenpro but decided what the heck, might as well try something different. Hopefully, Westcoast Tenders issue is an isolated incident and it sounds like they took care of him under warranty which is pretty impressive customer service.

On 11/26/2018 at 3:16 PM, Kaveman42 said:

Hi Guys,

1. I went down to a 1.5+ from a +2 on both my Brians and CCM. It's small change, but I am happier. This is 100% preference for you

2. I have a double internal and no external. It's a pretty solid setup. Unless you like a very soft pad, I would not get an external break. In my opinion, the pads soften up over time. The seal is perfect with this set up and no concerns there.

3. I have a mix of speed skin and weave. I have some wear on the speed skin and a cut in the weave. this is all pretty typical wear for a set of gear approaching a year of use. Wear is always dependent of how much ice time you get and what type of ice time. There is a reason pros go through 4 sets of gear a year.

4. No experience with EF series, Sorry!

On 11/26/2018 at 4:16 PM, Kaveman42 said:

Hi Guys,

I'd second @Kaveman42 and @TheGoalNet in terms of the reduced thigh rise. You didn't mention what boot channel you're opting for... Shallow Stiff or Shallow Soft... but given how little about any pad settles now the biggest I'd go is +1.5". I'm just about the same size as you, and with my set of Retroflexes I ordered a +2.5" and since had Factory MAD shave off 1.5" so I'm down to a +1" and it's so much better. Less interference in VH, RVH, butterfly, and general stance for that matter. 

Also the thread that @TitanG mentioned on Speedskin may be worth looking over before you go all Speedskin if you haven't already. While it looks like it's only coming into question on sliding surfaces... it might be worth looking at traditional Jenpro or Embossed for the sake of adding more depth to your design. 

6 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I'd second @Kaveman42 and @TheGoalNet in terms of the reduced thigh rise. You didn't mention what boot channel you're opting for... Shallow Stiff or Shallow Soft... but given how little about any pad settles now the biggest I'd go is +1.5". I'm just about the same size as you, and with my set of Retroflexes I ordered a +2.5" and since had Factory MAD shave off 1.5" so I'm down to a +1" and it's so much better. Less interference in VH, RVH, butterfly, and general stance for that matter. 

Also the thread that @TitanG mentioned on Speedskin may be worth looking over before you go all Speedskin if you haven't already. While it looks like it's only coming into question on sliding surfaces... it might be worth looking at traditional Jenpro or Embossed for the sake of adding more depth to your design. 

I stuck with the standard shallow soft boot, which is similar to what I currently have. I already placed the order in all speedskin. Either way I was going to go speed skin on the landing pads. Here is what my design looks like:

IMG_1187.PNG

Archived