Dangler, Collar-Style neck guard, both, or none?

Max27

3 minutes ago, Max27 said:

i found the dangler too flappy

i use a Bauer N8 Nectech rn

Yeah, I always managed to find a sweet spot with mine where it wasn't loose enough to fly around willy nilly but still sit in a good spot for coverage.  I use the contoured Bauer dangler, not the bigger, rounded U shaped one.

I did have it break on a shot once in like 15 years.  Broke in such a way that the center tie spot came off and left a big jagged spike for me to bring my chin down on if I wasn't careful haha.  Luckily it was right near the end of a pickup session, so I just kept playing.

On 11/28/2018 at 4:09 PM, Max27 said:

yea if u can find the specs on ur paw that would be great. been looking at them as well as the aegis interceptor, it has d3o in it

Found them:

The original mail from Sara at PAW:
"The bib alone is 14" wide x 11" tall, and with the wings on both sides to cover the shoulders it runs around 22" across total.
The stock neck height is 1.5" in the middle tapering to 2" on the outside"

I have a small neck.

On 11/28/2018 at 4:26 PM, Mroy31 said:

Yeah, I always managed to find a sweet spot with mine where it wasn't loose enough to fly around willy nilly but still sit in a good spot for coverage.  I use the contoured Bauer dangler, not the bigger, rounded U shaped one.

I did have it break on a shot once in like 15 years.  Broke in such a way that the center tie spot came off and left a big jagged spike for me to bring my chin down on if I wasn't careful haha.  Luckily it was right near the end of a pickup session, so I just kept playing.

yea i guess its personal preference. everyone is different

On 11/28/2018 at 5:10 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Found them:

The original mail from Sara at PAW:
"The bib alone is 14" wide x 11" tall, and with the wings on both sides to cover the shoulders it runs around 22" across total.
The stock neck height is 1.5" in the middle tapering to 2" on the outside"

I have a small neck.

how do u like the neck guard, in terms of fit? (w ur specs was it snug or loose) 

2 hours ago, Max27 said:

what didnt u like abt the maltese?

I don't not like the Maltese, I also have an Aegis one.  I just am a gear whore.  Maltese: Pros -- very comfortable.  Very protective.  Cons:  Very heavy.  I hate the back part of it (all the extra fabric).  Hot as hell in the summer.

Aegis:  Pros:  Lightweight.  Fairly protective.  Cons:  Not the most comfortable thing in the world.  And I''m sure it's fine for my level, but I've never taken a really hard shot off of it, so who knows if the D30 will do its job.

28 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I don't not like the Maltese, I also have an Aegis one.  I just am a gear whore.  Maltese: Pros -- very comfortable.  Very protective.  Cons:  Very heavy.  I hate the back part of it (all the extra fabric).  Hot as hell in the summer.

Aegis:  Pros:  Lightweight.  Fairly protective.  Cons:  Not the most comfortable thing in the world.  And I''m sure it's fine for my level, but I've never taken a really hard shot off of it, so who knows if the D30 will do its job.

interesting point abt the weight of it

also im sure the d30 will do it job

Had this dangler since I started. Only broke 11 years later when I moved out of the window maker lol. Now it sits on a combo what will see little to no game action. As for neck guards only used a player one(just a collar, no bib), can't play minor hockey without one in Ontario.20181128_202551.thumb.jpg.c856caa7b4f3602659d604c19e18c64b.jpg

I typically have just dangler, with no neck guard. I hate having things in really close to my neck. The rattle of the dangler, personally doesn't bother me at all, so it's the more comfortable of the two choices for me

That being said I've gotten 2 shots recently that have given me cause to consider a neck guard as well. The latest was a slap shot that stopped underneath my chin, after having ricocheted somehow under the dangler, so it might be time to consider a neck guard. 

Have worn both since returning to the game a couple years ago.  I wear either a Bauer shirt that has a neck slash protector or an long sleave shirt with a bib and a dangler.  I have the contoured Bauer and CCM danglers and I also use the car door trim trick for clanking noise reduction and chipping protection.  All in all it works for me.  I'd prefer to go with only the dangler and no neck guard  but I prefer safety over comfort!

9 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I currently don’t wear a dangler but I’m wearing the Maltese Reiterspec currently. It does get pretty hot around your neck but you can’t get much better than them, and (maybe) ecoprofoam in terms of protection, that would be next in line as maltese is basically out of the picture now 

And PAW.

I started using this years Bauer supreme with the comfort neck and I really don’t mind it. I usually hate anything on my neck and for as high up as this one goes I was really worried but I don’t even notice it when playing. It has really good collar bone protection but I am considering reinforcing the neck as it seems thinner than my old reactor neck guard. 

I've tried many different combos for neck protection but it was always a compromise between comfort and protection. Then I found and ordered Kova Goalie neck guard and all the problems were solved. It is very comfortable but also super protective. Because of my slow hands I have taken some very hard shots straight to the neck or collarbone without any problems.

10 hours ago, TresPasser said:

I've tried many different combos for neck protection but it was always a compromise between comfort and protection. Then I found and ordered Kova Goalie neck guard and all the problems were solved. It is very comfortable but also super protective. Because of my slow hands I have taken some very hard shots straight to the neck or collarbone without any problems.

yeah i saw those, big fan of collars over danglers

I started with a dangler, but had issues with the puck pushing the dangler in towards the mask and then the puck would still get me on the clavicle. I ditched the dangler and went to one of the basic Bauer goalie neck guards. I hated that as well, way too restrictive for my short neck and it retained so much heat in my chest protector that I felt like I was overheating before we were even finished warming up. I ended up making my own out of Kemmler Shocktec wrapped in an old Under Armour shirt. I've been happy with it and have taken a number of shots to the clavicle that didn't bother me at all. The only thing I wish I had done was make the clavicle protection a couple inches wider.

23296771030_fa279a2501.jpg20151203_105052_resized by bman32_320, on Flickr

I use dangler & neck guard. I realy don´t like things on my neck, so I´m very particular about fit of the neck guard. This older DR fits great (have Bauer supreme for reserve, but it is not so great in terms of fit).

DSC_0095[1].JPG

DSC_0096[1].JPG

On 11/29/2018 at 4:32 PM, Nova said:

I started with a dangler, but had issues with the puck pushing the dangler in towards the mask and then the puck would still get me on the clavicle. I ditched the dangler and went to one of the basic Bauer goalie neck guards. I hated that as well, way too restrictive for my short neck and it retained so much heat in my chest protector that I felt like I was overheating before we were even finished warming up. I ended up making my own out of Kemmler Shocktec wrapped in an old Under Armour shirt. I've been happy with it and have taken a number of shots to the clavicle that didn't bother me at all. The only thing I wish I had done was make the clavicle protection a couple inches wider.

23296771030_fa279a2501.jpg20151203_105052_resized by bman32_320, on Flickr

have u had issues w shots to the neck?

On 12/3/2018 at 1:48 PM, Naz said:

I wear this clavicle protector under this c/a.  Had the Clavicle protector since 1987.  Had a KimCrouch Collar before that.

No dangler.  Eddy Custom Kevlar mask.

Clav.jpg

Brown CA.jpg

i hate danglers but i dont wanna get hurt and i dont really trust just the collar, im re attaching my dangler on top of my old bauer bib

2 hours ago, mik said:

I use dangler & neck guard. I realy don´t like things on my neck, so I´m very particular about fit of the neck guard. This older DR fits great (have Bauer supreme for reserve, but it is not so great in terms of fit).

DSC_0095[1].JPG

DSC_0096[1].JPG

what is wrong w the bauer fit?

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

what is wrong w the bauer fit?

My reserve neck guard is this Bauer Supreme - upper part is to high on my neck, even if I loose the velcro strap. I can play in it, but it is not ideal.

10062.jpeg

Tryed S18 at store, with 2 parts on neck it is better but not better than DR Firewall ;).   

bauer-goalie-accessories-supreme-s18-nec 

13 hours ago, Max27 said:

have u had issues w shots to the neck?

Not so far. I feel quite well covered because I have a really short neck. I've never had a puck get under the chin of my mask and I feel like it would take a fluke shot for it to happen.

Just now, Nova said:

Not so far. I feel quite well covered because I have a really short neck. I've never had a puck get under the chin of my mask and I feel like it would take a fluke shot for it to happen.

yea i have a giraffe neck finding a fitting neck guard that isnt uncomfortable is a pain

probably gonna get the vaughn vpc 7000 

11 hours ago, mik said:

My reserve neck guard is this Bauer Supreme - upper part is to high on my neck, even if I loose the velcro strap. I can play in it, but it is not ideal.

10062.jpeg

Tryed S18 at store, with 2 parts on neck it is better but not better than DR Firewall ;).   

bauer-goalie-accessories-supreme-s18-nec 

yea that one looks really stiff

• 4 weeks later...

For a long time I could't get used to neck guard and stick with dangler but always hate that something hanging under my mask and clash against it with every move (sound and feeling).

I made myself to wear neck guard after I was hit on my collarbone real hard. I had a Bauer supreme that I bought but didin't use that time but it has two cones. I was twisting under my CA when I was playing and velcro on the back was scratch back of my neck. So I saw the whole piece to some shirt and rip of the velcro and replace that with plastic clip.

Now it works perfectly. No more twisting, no more chokeing expirience and no more clanging sound (I get rid of dangler of course :) )

Here are some pic's how it looks now.

IMG_20190107_184038.jpg

IMG_20190107_184044.jpg

Archived