Switching from tight fit to loose fit

Max27

Has anyone done this and not had a "sloppy" feel? Always hear that when youre used to something tight and you go to something super loose will feel sloppy, bc on my eflex 2 pads i feel like theyre causing fatigue bc of how heavy they are, that my legs feel weighted down from having them on (each weigh in at a little under 6lbs) and wanna try something like the r/g4 pads or something like that when i get he money

9 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Has anyone done this and not had a "sloppy" feel? Always hear that when youre used to something tight and you go to something super loose will feel sloppy, bc on my eflex 2 pads i feel like theyre causing fatigue bc of how heavy they are, that my legs feel weighted down from having them on (each weigh in at a little under 6lbs) and wanna try something like the r/g4 pads or something like that when i get he money

I’ve gone back and forth. I now prefer tight, but it’s just a patience and adjustment thing 

14 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I’ve gone back and forth. I now prefer tight, but it’s just a patience and adjustment thing 

ah thanks

i have thin calves and ive worn looser strapping and it felt like the pad was all over the place lol

I used to wear my pads super tight, but then I tried the "sloppy" strapping and haven't gone back. It allows the pads to react the way I like it. I've adjusted over the years and now I've found out what works for me. It would also would depend on the gear I wear, too.  

If you are switching brands or getting used to a newer set, a new strapping setup might be in order. But the "sloppy" feeling of the pad can be uncomfortable, especially when you first try it out, but you do get used to it. 

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

I used to wear my pads fairly loose, but that was when I had leather straps. With elastic, I feel you can get a snug/reactive fit, without it feeling restricting. It's something I've positively adjusted to.

12 minutes ago, braedub90 said:

I used to wear my pads fairly loose, but that was when I had leather straps. With elastic, I feel you can get a snug/reactive fit, without it feeling restricting. It's something I've positively adjusted to.

yea i keep the velcros super tight and run 1 leather strap at the top of the calf as an "anchor" so to speak bc i have fairly skinny calves and i like control 

1 hour ago, creasecollector said:

I used to wear my pads super tight, but then I tried the "sloppy" strapping and haven't gone back. It allows the pads to react the way I like it. I've adjusted over the years and now I've found out what works for me. It would also would depend on the gear I wear, too.  

If you are switching brands or getting used to a newer set, a new strapping setup might be in order. But the "sloppy" feeling of the pad can be uncomfortable, especially when you first try it out, but you do get used to it. 

yeah its more of a control standpoint, i like the pads to follow my leg. as long as the pad is following my leg and performs well still (slides well, good seal, etc.) im fine

2 minutes ago, BauerHockey47 said:

I used to wear Vaughn Velocity's back in the day with tight leg channels. After switching to the RBK Premier II's, I've worn Lefevre pads ever since.

in lefevre have u used premiers or eflex? 

I went from a Bauer RX10 pad to the Warrior G4s and made the switch from tight to loose fairly easily.  I also ran the knee lock tightly around the back of my knee in the RX10s and now with the G4s, I run the knee sling to the top calf wrap position.  I also went from two boot straps on the RX10s to the G4 elastic toe and then running the boot around my heel.  Pretty much the opposite ends of the strapping/pad set up spectrum.

The strangest thing is that for me, I didn't even notice a difference in my play.  I though the G4 Active Leg Drop design would feel sloppy, but the pads are actually pretty responsive.  And if you do make the switch, the weight savings will blow your mind (at least it did for me!)

@Max27 you’ll get used to anything if you wear it long enough. Of course when going from a tight leg channel to something like a G4... it will feel loose and sloppy. If it doesn’t, something is wrong bc it’s designed to. 

With that, I think pad weight is way too overhyped. Yes light is good, but is <1 lb really going to change your game?

Your body type is what it is. If you have small calves yo have small calves. Personally I’d say stick with the pads you have, keep working in and out of the gym, and practice conservation of movement. 

I used to wear my Bauer TotalOnes pretty snug. Started by just loosening each leather strap by one notch and giving that a few weeks to adjust until I found a sweet spot for each strap.

The elastic knee lock around my knee I think helped keep them from feeling too sloppy and more responsive like @VOGoalie said. 

That's one way to try the looser feeling with your ef2's before switching pads completely.

I've recently had V6 pads with all leather straps and wore them super loose minus the eladtic knee strap, which I kept really snug around my rather bulky Ritual knee pads.

My new VE8 pads have professor straps which I've never used before.  Super weird at first with how tight that felt and how connected to my pads I felt.  I'm also now running the knee strap to the calf and using bungee toe ties, both for the first time.

Needless to say , very different set up for me now. I had underrotation on the left side and had to loosen everything,  but after that it felt great.

I'm not sure it makes sense to me how pads still rotate with a professor strap, but I guess that's life. Minor little adjustments and more time,  it'll be fine.

I wouldn't call loose fit as sloppy because you can strap it as you feel fit but the less tighter it is I feel, the more you will get out of your pad performance wise.  The faster they will hit the ice. 

It's all preference of course but try to play around with the strapping of demo a set of new pads. My P1s were very loose...I got used to it, my P2 are not as loose but still loose due to the way I strap it and performance wise, been great. 

19 hours ago, VOGoalie said:

I went from a Bauer RX10 pad to the Warrior G4s and made the switch from tight to loose fairly easily.  I also ran the knee lock tightly around the back of my knee in the RX10s and now with the G4s, I run the knee sling to the top calf wrap position.  I also went from two boot straps on the RX10s to the G4 elastic toe and then running the boot around my heel.  Pretty much the opposite ends of the strapping/pad set up spectrum.

The strangest thing is that for me, I didn't even notice a difference in my play.  I though the G4 Active Leg Drop design would feel sloppy, but the pads are actually pretty responsive.  And if you do make the switch, the weight savings will blow your mind (at least it did for me!)

interesting that you didnt have a long break in time, i remember you saying in your g4 pad review that you go super loose

i watch your videos on youtube keep up the good work 👍

19 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

@Max27 you’ll get used to anything if you wear it long enough. Of course when going from a tight leg channel to something like a G4... it will feel loose and sloppy. If it doesn’t, something is wrong bc it’s designed to. 

With that, I think pad weight is way too overhyped. Yes light is good, but is <1 lb really going to change your game?

Your body type is what it is. If you have small calves yo have small calves. Personally I’d say stick with the pads you have, keep working in and out of the gym, and practice conservation of movement. 

i think pad weight is huge, obvi something more than 1 lb, 1 lb per pad wont do much, but movement in a g4 pad thats barely 4 lbs compared to a 6.5 lb XLT will be different

8 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

I used to wear my Bauer TotalOnes pretty snug. Started by just loosening each leather strap by one notch and giving that a few weeks to adjust until I found a sweet spot for each strap.

The elastic knee lock around my knee I think helped keep them from feeling too sloppy and more responsive like @VOGoalie said. 

That's one way to try the looser feeling with your ef2's before switching pads completely.

ive tried the looser fit and ive found a sweet spot but its still prob tighter than most do their straps

6 hours ago, seagoal said:

I've recently had V6 pads with all leather straps and wore them super loose minus the eladtic knee strap, which I kept really snug around my rather bulky Ritual knee pads.

My new VE8 pads have professor straps which I've never used before.  Super weird at first with how tight that felt and how connected to my pads I felt.  I'm also now running the knee strap to the calf and using bungee toe ties, both for the first time.

Needless to say , very different set up for me now. I had underrotation on the left side and had to loosen everything,  but after that it felt great.

I'm not sure it makes sense to me how pads still rotate with a professor strap, but I guess that's life. Minor little adjustments and more time,  it'll be fine.

yeah the professor strap is designed to make the pad hug your leg

5 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I wouldn't call loose fit as sloppy because you can strap it as you feel fit but the less tighter it is I feel, the more you will get out of your pad performance wise.  The faster they will hit the ice. 

It's all preference of course but try to play around with the strapping of demo a set of new pads. My P1s were very loose...I got used to it, my P2 are not as loose but still loose due to the way I strap it and performance wise, been great. 

yeah of course a looser pad will perform better but will have much different feel

3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I've got Vaughn Ventus LT88s and use an old Reebok XLT thigh wrap on them. The thigh wrap is tied into the pads quite loosely but the strapping on my calves is tight. Basically, loose knee, tight calf, tight toe tie, medium boot.

yea i have tight everything lol i like the pad to hug my leg

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Hit the gym, Max.  Do some leg workouts.  If you're getting fatigued because of the weight of the pads your using then you have bigger problems to worry about than comparing tight fit to loose fit.  

Absolutely. Maxy boy, you're still pretty new to goaltending, let your muscles get used to flopping around these "heavy" (lol) pads. 

You'll thank us in a year or so when you do finally get new pads. 

5 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Hit the gym, Max.  Do some leg workouts.  If you're getting fatigued because of the weight of the pads your using then you have bigger problems to worry about than comparing tight fit to loose fit.  

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Absolutely. Maxy boy, you're still pretty new to goaltending, let your muscles get used to flopping around these "heavy" (lol) pads. 

Agreed. Max, try to attend as many public skates or ice times as possible to get those legs figured out. If more ice time doesn't fit the schedule then try to do some stretches, it helps with more than just flexibility. If you are able to fit some extra ice time in, try doing some pushes back and forth in butterfly (you can do it between the pipes or outside of them, doesn't matter).

10 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

im not really trying to say the pads are weighing me down,looking back thats literally exactly what i said but thats not really what im asking. obviously 5.5 lbs or whatever on each leg isnt gonna do that, im more trying to say i feel that i would have more energy and move better in a lighter pad (hence why i brought up the g4s)

6 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

yeah looking at what i said its not really what im trying to ask, i was making a point (why i brought up the g4s) that i would be quicker in lighter pads, and obviously the g4s are far different than the ef2s. people have referred to ccm pads as being heavy, "chunky", and that's what i was saying more,

i have been trying to get more flexible and quicker on my own, but lighter gear like the g4s would aid in that considering how much lighter they are

4 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Agreed. Max, try to attend as many public skates or ice times as possible to get those legs figured out. If more ice time doesn't fit the schedule then try to do some stretches, it helps with more than just flexibility. If you are able to fit some extra ice time in, try doing some pushes back and forth in butterfly (you can do it between the pipes or outside of them, doesn't matter).

i go to public skating (not goalie) every saturday for like 5 hours and skate and work on my edges, etc. and i strech my legs as much as i can in my free time to be quicker w them, as well as be more flexible. 

No, Max, they won't.  At the skill level in which those of us on this website play, a pound less on each leg isn't gonna do shit.  Working on strength and technique will help way more than getting yourself a new set of pads.  An NHL goalie, who is a finely tuned athlete in both strength and technique, would benefit way more from moving to a lighter bad.  Just keep practicing.  Keep playing.  You'll get there.

16 hours ago, Max27 said:

i have been trying to get more flexible and quicker on my own, but lighter gear like the g4s would aid in that considering how much lighter they are

Technique and practice > gear 

In just about every instance. 

I get the apple to get new gear to try and improve your game or buying into the marketing, but dude, play a few years in what you have THEN look to upgrading. 

Not only will you have a much better idea to what you want (and post less "choose my pads" threads), but you'll also be on a lot better of a place technique and strength wise. 

Sometimes ya gotta trust us. ;)

On 12/5/2018 at 10:15 PM, Max27 said:

yea i keep the velcros super tight and run 1 leather strap at the top of the calf as an "anchor" so to speak bc i have fairly skinny calves and i like control 

yeah its more of a control standpoint, i like the pads to follow my leg. as long as the pad is following my leg and performs well still (slides well, good seal, etc.) im fine

in lefevre have u used premiers or eflex? 

I have only used the Premier series, from both RBK and Reebok. The latter of which I am still using.

On 12/7/2018 at 6:01 PM, Max27 said:

i go to public skating (not goalie) every saturday for like 5 hours and skate and work on my edges, etc. and i strech my legs as much as i can in my free time to be quicker w them, as well as be more flexible. 

If they let you, I would wear your gear at public skate, or at least pants down. I would also spend time working on movements while down, hell you can work on a lot in 5 hours. If only I had that kind of time to work on movement, I could make my games easier for myself

2 hours ago, old but slow said:

If they let you, I would wear your gear at public skate, or at least pants down. I would also spend time working on movements while down, hell you can work on a lot in 5 hours. If only I had that kind of time to work on movement, I could make my games easier for myself

i would, but they only let u bring skates and helmets/gloves (player gloves) are optional. theres private lessons that go on tho

11 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Technique and practice > gear 

In just about every instance. 

I get the apple to get new gear to try and improve your game or buying into the marketing, but dude, play a few years in what you have THEN look to upgrading. 

Not only will you have a much better idea to what you want (and post less "choose my pads" threads), but you'll also be on a lot better of a place technique and strength wise. 

Sometimes ya gotta trust us. ;)

yeah i agree gear isnt gonna make me better unless its like some astronomical difference practice will

11 hours ago, BauerHockey47 said:

I have only used the Premier series, from both RBK and Reebok. The latter of which I am still using.

ah

Archived