Kenesky Vs. Passau Pads

aircanuck

Looking for a custom set of pads/gloves for next year, slowly narrowing my search down to Kenesky and Passau. Both seem to offer a very personalized experience. Kenesky is nearby (2hrs) Passau is a province over. Kenesky will do a demo, Passau is reluctant. Price isn't a huge issue and I would love to give a smaller Canadian firm my business in exchange for that customer experience that seems to be severely lacking with the big brands.. Has anyone got anything to say either way? Are they in the same ballpark?

I've had Passau pads and loved them. I did my set with @Tim_TRUEHockey who did some extensive background work in getting the right options and tweaks.  They pads were perfect from fit to function.  I did not however like the gloves.

I did have 2 different pairs of TPS gloves from @WGD aka Dave Wilcox who now builds for Kenesky.  The glove was a Summit and blocker a bindingless R12.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.  Passau likely won't do a demo because the pad is custom and built for you every way possible

If I didn't love my Warrior GT pro set so much I'd still be in Passau Pads and Kenesky (TPS CLONE) gloves 

I would go with Passau myself, but I haven’t heard anything bad about Kenesky.

It seems like they have more modern offerings. I’m sure that Kenesky can do anything you want, but it seems like it’s more “standard” with Passau.

let us know what you get! 

1 hour ago, aircanuck said:

I think the most painful part is me being out of the game for so long, it's hard to know exactly what I want. Ideally I need to be in someone's shop dialling this in with a lot of spoon feeding!

Since Kenesky is closer to you, and they offer more glove options (Passau only has 2 break options), they may be the way to go. Either company I'm sure will work to give you what you want. I just bought a lightly used @WGD glove which I believe is a Sher-Wood T100 design and it's very good quality and feels light and protective. I also have a Passau chest protector and the same can be said for it!

Both companies are great! I have dealt with both companies in the past.  

Kenesky will do a little more custom work without upcharge.  I had pads and blocker made by Kenesky. Both items had custom designs on at no extra charge. (This was back in Feb 17) I also had special mods done to the pads and blocker and he will do them at no extra charge.

Passau will do custom work too for an upcharge on designs.  You can have certain mods done to pads, glove, and blocker but are limited to Passau design factors. 

Passau equipment is very good. So is Kenesky too. 

If you want total customization to equipment mods Kenesky will do them.

I had Passau make a pair of pads back in July 12 and had them make mid knee break and straight curve thigh rise to mimic my old Niemi spec Sherwood pads. After they did this mod, Passau made it one of the pad options.

6 minutes ago, Bell31 said:

I had Passau make a pair of pads back in July 12 and had them make mid knee break and straight curve thigh rise to mimic my old Niemi spec Sherwood pads. After they did this mod, Passau made it one of the pad options.

3 minutes ago, aircanuck said:

I like that mid knee break...added to my list. Thanks for the video.

I wonder if Kenesky would offer the mid knee break as well since Dave Wilcox was the designer at Sher-Wood before they shut down their goalie department?

@TitanG The gloves were a slam dunk, but I am still wading into the water on the pads. I like them, I just want to make sure I get it right. 

Had to try on their new chest protector while I was there, that thing was spectacular so had to grab one of those too. Kenesky definitely offers a great customer experience. 

1 hour ago, aircanuck said:

@TitanG The gloves were a slam dunk, but I am still wading into the water on the pads. I like them, I just want to make sure I get it right. 

Had to try on their new chest protector while I was there, that thing was spectacular so had to grab one of those too. Kenesky definitely offers a great customer experience. 

00d.jpg.9170c9c247f3d1bc6c3f1c22215c6474.jpg

Are we talking about pads or full sets?

I don't have much to add since I'v never owned gear from either company. I did briefly owned a used chest/arm from Passau but it ended up being too small and I sold it before using.

I'v stated before that I'm typically not one for publicly trashing companies. And I don't want to stir the pot but before I got back into working in hockey, I was considering both these guys for new gear. Based on my experience, one company was really great, the other was just awful.

And if I may ask, @aircanuck what is your motivation for leaning towards these two brands as major selections in your gear choice?

1 hour ago, ULTIMA said:

Are we talking about pads or full sets?

I don't have much to add since I'v never owned gear from either company. I did briefly owned a used chest/arm from Passau but it ended up being too small and I sold it before using.

I'v stated before that I'm typically not one for publicly trashing companies. And I don't want to stir the pot but before I got back into working in hockey, I was considering both these guys for new gear. Based on my experience, one company was really great, the other was just awful.

And if I may ask, @aircanuck what is your motivation for leaning towards these two brands as major selections in your gear choice?

Full set plus the chest protector. My motivation for going small company has been the lack of personal touch that I was once used to in buying equipment. I got jerked around with a few purchases already and I have little patience with that. With the big 3, I feel like it's the ol' "here's our gear, check these boxes, if you don't like it, pound sand" approach. Also being out of the loop for so long, I almost need a bit of a spoon feeding in buying new equipment. Plus, I like to support Canadian gear made in Canada and I always have. 

I'll fire you  message so there's no public shaming, I'm curious about your insights. 

Thanks for the replies.  @cwarnar Sorry I didn't take pics, put I promise 2019 will be a photo intensive year. I was in sensory overload while playing with all the gear!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the interest in our products.  I think thank you'll be making a good decision regardless whether you choose us or Kenesky.  Regarding our pricing and options, I'd correct one of the statements above. We 100% offer more options (in terms of strapping, profiles, flexes, boot shapes, knee cradle strapping and custom graphic methods) than any company.  We've also changed our pricing to price in a lot of the above any the small things we do have to charge more for are far less than the industry average.  A big part of our process is to work directly with you to help select specs that best compliment you and your style and preferences.  Please feel free to reach out to me directly for more information.

- Tim McCarthy

Tim.McCarthy@PassauHockey.com

16 hours ago, GoalieTimmy33 said:

Thank you for the interest in our products.  I think thank you'll be making a good decision regardless whether you choose us or Kenesky.  Regarding our pricing and options, I'd correct one of the statements above. We 100% offer more options (in terms of strapping, profiles, flexes, boot shapes, knee cradle strapping and custom graphic methods) than any company.  We've also changed our pricing to price in a lot of the above any the small things we do have to charge more for are far less than the industry average.  A big part of our process is to work directly with you to help select specs that best compliment you and your style and preferences.  Please feel free to reach out to me directly for more information.

- Tim McCarthy

Tim.McCarthy@PassauHockey.com

Thanks Tim, definitely an outstanding experience from a guy that truly knows the position and the gear. Looking forward to seeing my new pads arrive. I appreciate all the time you spent with me on my order, I am certainly more educated for having worked with you.

Neil

12 hours ago, aircanuck said:

Thanks Tim, definitely an outstanding experience from a guy that truly knows the position and the gear. Looking forward to seeing my new pads arrive. I appreciate all the time you spent with me on my order, I am certainly more educated for having worked with you.

Neil

Was Kenesky gloves and Passau pads the final decision? 

New C&A?

2 hours ago, aircanuck said:

@TheGoalNet Yupper, Kenesky on the glove, blocker and chest. The chest was an impulse purchase after trying one on! Passau for the pads. I’m spreading the love and mixing it up. There’s just one more item on my mind for 2019...

If you get bored and want to go on a total gear bender and buy a Passau C&A next and do a comparison review for us... I don't think anyone would mind!!!

Archived