TheGoalNet

R GT/2

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

Set looks great

what palm did you order in the glove? 60 75 or 90? I know you liked the GT 1 glove a lot which was 70

Went with the 75. 90 is just awful for me and 60 isn't bad but just a bit awkward 

18 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Went with the 75. 90 is just awful for me and 60 isn't bad but just a bit awkward 

ah, cool. Set looks awesome!

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

ah, cool. Set looks awesome!

Thanks mang excited to get it. I'll definitely be whoring out plenty of pictures once it's in. 

22 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Thanks mang excited to get it. I'll definitely be whoring out plenty of pictures once it's in. 

Awesome, excited for them to come in for you aswell

Posted (edited)

So these showed up yesterday:

IMG_20190513_201128.thumb.jpg.0150f2831dd08dd3254f7ba14a92fa90.jpg

35+2, 75 degree on the catcher and I'm going to start the blocker off in low position and see how it goes.    I'll post some first impressions after my game Thursday.

Edited by Puckstopper
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Untitled.png.3243d5fb5edaf6d447743adc4538251c.png

You can thank @BadAngle41 for me not being able to like your post. 

I liked it for you.

Very nice @Puckstopper  Those new sticks you got are going to look so good with the whole set. 

16 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Untitled.png.3243d5fb5edaf6d447743adc4538251c.png

You can thank @BadAngle41 for me not being able to like your post. 

It was all worth it Coop...

image.png.98b7f2f09f844d8941e564e7f146b1d0.png

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2019 at 11:25 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

Got confirmation of my order.

They've given an expected date of June 12th. So ~6 weeks from date of order.

Ah. I ordered 1 day before you. Hope I get mine around the same time. The wait is agonizing! Luckily not as bad as the 10+ weeks for EF4s though... 😆

RGT2 Classic pads 33+2, White weave on outer roll and "knee rolls". Red as back nylon inspired by MAF and his VGK sets. 

RG4 Gloves, Double T, Combo of weave and jenpro for texture. 60 degree palm--I've tried 75 and 90 on my old G3s, but realize the 60 degree probably more to my liking. 

1863095626_ScreenShot2019-05-16at3_29_20PM.thumb.png.9b005f88ba9cb304bf3a07f8eff28c23.png477839188_ScreenShot2019-05-16at3_28_02PM.thumb.png.87367a367a7dd1e4bf668063e3fe8ec8.png

Edited by gotc

36 minutes ago, gotc said:

Ah. I ordered 1 day before you. Hope I get mine around the same time. The wait is agonizing! Luckily not as bad as the 10+ weeks for EF4s though... 😆 

RGT2 Classic pads 33+2, White weave on outer roll and "knee rolls". Red as back nylon inspired by MAF and his VGK sets.  

RG4 Gloves, Double T, Combo of weave and jenpro for texture. 60 degree palm--I've tried 75 and 90 on my old G3s, but realize the 60 degree probably more to my liking.  

1863095626_ScreenShot2019-05-16at3_29_20PM.thumb.png.9b005f88ba9cb304bf3a07f8eff28c23.png477839188_ScreenShot2019-05-16at3_28_02PM.thumb.png.87367a367a7dd1e4bf668063e3fe8ec8.png

These are sick. I've got the 60 degree on my GT2 as well, and I realllllllly like it.

Godspeed to you.

1 hour ago, gotc said:

Nice set. Go for the weave sliding surface? 

Ok, so as promised, a quick set of first impressions after 1 session on the ice with my new gear:

Pads:  I came from a set of 34+1 SubZero 3's to these 35+2 R/GT2's.  The Brian's pads were a buying mistake as they were far too short in the thigh rise and I was looking forward to the easier 5-hole coverage from a taller set of pads.  This came into play early on in the game when I got a pad tip on a shot that probably would have slid through the 5-hole on me previously.   Big win here!  There will be a bit of an adjustment with the taller rises, but my previous set of Brian's were 35+1.5", so I don't expect major issues.   The ice I played on was total trash due to a varsity H.S. hockey scrimmage right before our time and a really crappy ice cut.  Because of how trashed the crease was I really can't comment on how the pads slide.   Warming up in the corner they seemed great, but I had absolutely NO slide in the crease which was really annoying.  Again, I am sure this was an ice issue so I'm looking to my next ice time to see how they do.  One thing I'm going to have to play with is the elastic strapping.  I ditched the skate laces for the elastic toe strap and that worked out really well.  I ran the heel strap through the loop behind my skate and that felt a little tight.  I'll have to do some playing around there, but it's nothing I can't work with.  The pads sad differently than my SZ3's (360 Active Drop is NOT just marketing hype, there is a marked difference in where these sat on my legs) but I was fine by the end of the first period.  I'm not totally fluid in these yet, but wouldn't expect to be after only an hour. Overall these are a major improvement over my last set, and once I dial them in and break them in they'll be even better. 

Blocker:  I set the blocker to the Low position for a little extra coverage.  I'm going to leave it there for a few games, but may end up back in the Mid position for easier paddle down and stick recovery.  The blocker was comfortable, secure but easy to get off to grab a drink.  I didn't take any good shots to comment on the "pop" off the face, but it did it's job and I'm 100% happy here.

Catch Glove:  My glove is a 75 degree break, double T and a skate lace pocket.  First off, even before taking this glove on the ice I felt like it was far and away the best glove Warrior had ever made.  @Kirk3190's comments about the thumb position being more natural are totally spot on.  One thing I've done to make it even more comfortable is to forego using the thumb loop.  Bypassing this allows my thumb to drop into an even more natural position and makes it easier to close the glove.  Speaking of closure, this baby was super easy to close right out of the box.  I received it Monday, and was comfortable enough to play with it in a game tonight.   I took my old Vaughn glove to the bench with me in case I had any issues in warm-ups with the new glove, but it only took a few shots to know I wasn't going to switch back to the old one.  Prior to my VE8 with the stock Y trap my previous 2 Brian's gloves have had double T's.  The SubZero had a skate lace pocket and the Gnetik 2 had nylon lacing.  The R/GT2 is by far the softest catching glove I've used in 10 years.  If you want a good snap when you catch the puck I'd strongly recommend going single T, nylon lacing, or both.  While you may not get as much feedback with the double T/skate lace combo, pucks do hit it and die.  I didn't have any popouts tonight and had a couple that I had to double check and make sure I caught.  One other point I noticed was that this glove is easier to shoot underhanded with than the couple I've used previously.   I could flip the puck a underhand a little with my Vaughn, but was completely limited to Turco style with my Brian's gloves.  Turco style is fine for clearing the puck or long range bullet passes, but I've missed being able to go for high flips or softer touch passes which were easier for me when stickhandling underhanded.  I'm looking forward to being able to add that back into my repertoire of tricks.  Honestly, I think the biggest endorsement I can give the glove is that I was willing to wear it into a game situation 3 days after unboxing it.  I'm super picky about my catch gloves and while overall I would still say the VE8 is the best glove I've used since my old T3500 the R/GT2 could rival it or possibly even surpass it.  Time will tell on this one, but I've been a long time skeptic regarding Warrior catch gloves and this baby won me over as soon as I figured out that I didn't need the thumb loop.  

Overall my first impression with the R/GT2s was really positive.   We won our game, and the pads/gloves were not a factor in the two goals I game up.   As much as I've loved my Brian's gear over the years I really feel like I made a major trade up with this set and I look forward to seeing how well these do in a couple months once they've broken in and I've figured out how to really wring every bit of performance out of them.

• Like 2

@Puckstopper The elastic toe system on the Warrior pads is the best I've used. For the behind the heel boot strap, you can lengthen it by popping it out of its pocket on the inside of the heel of the pad and moving the plastic clip that keeps it in place. This might help it feel less tight.

@Puckstopper try ditching the boot strap entirely.   On my GT1s I got Pro Laces, no boot and the 2 wrap straps snug.  

3 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

@Puckstopper try ditching the boot strap entirely.   On my GT1s I got Pro Laces, no boot and the 2 wrap straps snug.  

I'll second this, except the tight strapping.

I'll give it a whirl.  Messing around in the locker room it didn't feel like the pads were rotating back properly without the heel strap.   I've got some practice ice available next week when I can play with strapping a little bit and see how they behave on the ice.  We all know dialing in new pads is an adventure, and this is even more of one since I'd used Brian's for back to back sets prior.

Posted (edited)

Hi guys, new to this forum/site. Thought I would post a pic of the order I just set up with my local shop. 33+1, double tee trapper with 60 degree break, single break on pads below knee (just happened to match the size of my old Reebok Revoke's that have served me well the past 10 years). Also ordered up some Ritual Ritual X Pro pants and a R/GT2 Pro C/A. Can't wait (well, gonna kind of have to!).

GT2 Custom Classic Pro Colorway.png

Screenshot (122).png

Edited by [+] Dr.J

On 5/16/2019 at 4:11 PM, ZeroGravitas said:

These are sick. I've got the 60 degree on my GT2 as well, and I realllllllly like it.

Godspeed to you.

Thanks! Stoked to try out the 60degree. 

On 5/16/2019 at 5:25 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Nice set. Go for the weave sliding surface? 

Yes I did--I really enjoyed Primo on my old Optiks, and miss the satisfying crunch of weave-like material on ice. I know Primo probably slides even better, but excited to try out Warrior's weave. The demo RGT2s I tried didn't have weave and I felt it could've used some help in the sliding department.  

14 hours ago, gotc said:

Yes I did--I really enjoyed Primo on my old Optiks, and miss the satisfying crunch of weave-like material on ice. I know Primo probably slides even better, but excited to try out Warrior's weave. The demo RGT2s I tried didn't have weave and I felt it could've used some help in the sliding department.  

I'm excited to try out the weave too. I felt like my GT1 sled pretty well. But that was in comparison to my V4. 

I do want to try this new "sliding improvements" each company has made. 

Has anyone seen a Warrior set using a lot of the “Brown” color (as opposed to “Retro Tan”) in the wild?

I am finding myself really interested in another retro set but was thinking of going with the darker Brown to change it up. Just hard to get a sense of what that color actually looks like in person. 

Not that it helps much, but here’s a mock-up:

479ACA51-824D-4412-BFF9-DBCE675A8374.jpeg.5c8b43552e280ed39b23b5f290771beb.jpeg

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Has anyone seen a Warrior set using a lot of the “Brown” color (as opposed to “Retro Tan”) in the wild?

I am finding myself really interested in another retro set but was thinking of going with the darker Brown to change it up. Just hard to get a sense of what that color actually looks like in person. 

Not that it helps much, but here’s a mock-up:

479ACA51-824D-4412-BFF9-DBCE675A8374.jpeg.5c8b43552e280ed39b23b5f290771beb.jpeg

I had strongly considered it instead of retro tan however to me it looked too dark, almost like it was black. Perhaps in real life it will be slightly lighter. Hard to know.