R GT/2

TheGoalNet

14 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Another question...

Has anyone added more foam on the inside of the calf landing to give the pads more lift to level with the knee landing?

Maria Mountain did it, I saw it on her YouTube channel

Forgive my ignorance as I've never really had a calf pillow, and I understand the better/faster seal. But in terms of comfort, would it not add more stress to the knee after a certain point? I would think that you would want your knees to be at a higher or at least at the same height as your calf.

1 hour ago, johncho said:

Forgive my ignorance as I've never really had a calf pillow, and I understand the better/faster seal. But in terms of comfort, would it not add more stress to the knee after a certain point? I would think that you would want your knees to be at a higher or at least at the same height as your calf.

Ideally, you don't want to go any higher than the knee block, true. Most goalies have torsional flexibility in the hips and knees enabling the skate boot to be parallel or near parallel to the ice when in their butterfly. I don't have that luxury anymore (don't know if I ever did, coming from old school goaltending in my younger days) and so I feel lots of stress in my ankles as my toes tend to want to point straight down to the ice, sometimes with an angle on a good day (thank goodness for the advent of bungee like toe ties).

I'm curious about the science involved as Maria's video was mentioned, and then you have makers without calf wedges, some with slight ones like my Warriors and then some with massive ones like the new Bauer Mach. It's hard to follow what is right and isn't. Other than Maria's take on it, I don't think there has been much written on the subject out there, at least available to the public. 

• 1 year later...

Another input on my GT2 pads. After watching the Chris Dudo anf Bonesy video colab on Youtube, I've decided to try the strapping setup Chris had going on on his G6 (separated the knee strap from the neoprene one and basically clipped the nylon one across and velcroed the neoprene to the calf) and it actually worked out well. Aside from difficultly walking from the dressing room to the ice, it was all good, there was plenty of room for my knee pads, full pad rotation and the nylon strap acted as my pull back strap when scrambling around. We'll see what the next skate says.

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Another input on my GT2 pads. After watching the Chris Dudo anf Bonesy video colab on Youtube, I've decided to try the strapping setup Chris had going on on his G6 (separated the knee strap from the neoprene one and basically clipped the nylon one across and velcroed the neoprene to the calf) and it actually worked out well. Aside from difficultly walking from the dressing room to the ice, it was all good, there was plenty of room for my knee pads, full pad rotation and the nylon strap acted as my pull back strap when scrambling around. We'll see what the next skate says.

Been using this setup as long as I've used warrior and actually inspired dudo to use it. In my opinion there's no other way to make these work properly

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Very odd thing happened to me in warm-ups last night. I caught a wrister in my glove (GT2 SR non-pro) and my wrist cocked back enough that my pinky came out of the finger stall completely. It almost felt like my finger was fully out and exposed from within the glove's backhand. Impossible I know but it felt so weird. I have smallish fingers which don't help much but I've never experienced such a thing with any other gloves in over 30 years. It was a first  lolll

13 hours ago, RichMan said:

Very odd thing happened to me in warm-ups last night. I caught a wrister in my glove (GT2 SR non-pro) and my wrist cocked back enough that my pinky came out of the finger stall completely. It almost felt like my finger was fully out and exposed from within the glove's backhand. Impossible I know but it felt so weird. I have smallish fingers which don't help much but I've never experienced such a thing with any other gloves in over 30 years. It was a first  lolll

I had that happen twice when I had my GT2 set. So you're not alone. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...