DIY Minimalist Knee Wing (RGTs)

Punisher Goalie

Just thought I’d share this mod. 

After a lot of experimentation with the knee elastic (behind, down to calf, loose, tight, etc.) I have discovered I prefer it around the knee. My problem is that the knee “wing” to which the elastic strap fastens is bulky and interferes with my pants. Not so much that the setup is unusable, but enough to bother me during play.

Decided to take a shot at building a minimalist wing, similar to the one found on the CCM P2s - basically just big enough for the Velcro to attach to. The one I made out of basic Velcro and nylon doesn’t look pretty, but it gets the job done. Attaches to the loops on the knee area with a Slick Clip. There are 3 possible positions available too.

Comparison pics with the elastic attached and not attached are below. BTW I do not use the rigid nylon strap that can run through the “Sling Wrap” on the RGTs but this would work with it as well.

9C05E656-3D5A-44BC-A419-BD128590C025.thumb.jpeg.0b36351bada23768a0476bae82c0f9b4.jpegE6EDB02E-0B13-4305-BCAA-5E9EDB3BF990.thumb.jpeg.958c1e8bce1caf5099348259e9f2062b.jpegCE30E221-006E-410F-BF5D-4902794F25BB.thumb.jpeg.d685a2f0e4d4424d272adeb488c41082.jpeg

no on tuck.

i do run my strap diff then most: i disconnect the strap from the sling, i also connect the  calf strap to the  upper outside half of the calf and the sling right behind it tight. strap just follow in place.

it more response pad and i have big calves, similar to professor strap, but i have always done it with pads since 1995.

the prof strap is basically the upper calf strap not slotted or connected to the inner leg protector and then pulled up above calf, people act like its the greatest invention ever, like less strap is cooler .

12 hours ago, cwarnar said:

@Punisher Goalie or @DL42... Do you guys tuck?  I run my sling wrap to the knee wing as well but have no issues.

CCM pro pants with suspenders and I tuck my chest.  Zero issues with the knee wing 

I do tuck, but I also wear large pants so I know that contributes to the interference. Another issue is that I attach the elastic somewhat loosely where if it were tight, it would pull the wing closer to my knee. 

2 hours ago, cuprajake said:

YES, 

i do this, although mines not as nicely mad, sticky back velcro, folded over some string and tied to the hoop hahah

Lol that’s a real DIY. 

2 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I do tuck, but I also wear large pants so I know that contributes to the interference. Another issue is that I attach the elastic somewhat loosely where if it were tight, it would pull the wing closer to my knee. 

Lol that’s a real DIY. 

Ahhh... That would be the difference.  I tried oversized pants and hated it.  I also snug up my sling wrap

Just wanted to update now that I’ve had a couple skates with this - very pleased with the results. Did exactly what I hoped, eliminated any interference with the pants. 

I did decide to add the nylon strap back in for stability. It now has a semi-professor strap feel to it (I’ll call it the “Adjunct Professor Strap”). 

• 2 weeks later...

Made some Punisher style minimalist knee wings. They feel great..Not too loose and not too restrictive. I made them a bit longer than the existing stock wings so I can get a better overlap with the Velcro on the sling wrap. Thanks again for sharing this mod.

5E2CFD10-D068-4B0E-BEC9-AB65CE6D9068.jpeg

1C26850B-D64C-4BEA-B310-E516C6875CEE.jpeg

81961D4F-204D-42D1-8C09-A245E2FC6223.jpeg

No not laced in at all. Just used peel and stick Velcro on the lift and the the knee stack. I noticed that the front  angular part of the G3 knee stack was prone to compression so I added the lift to prevent that from happening plus I like the added height.

On my floor hockey pads I use hook side Velcro, it works great on hardwood and dimpled slide plates when I play on anything else. 

Punisher, l made another set of the “adjunct professor straps” that you can have if you like in appreciation for posting this mod. If you want them send me a pm with your address and I will send them to you this week. I can send them no charge through my work account with Fed Ex.

The sewing of the binding around the perimeter isn’t that great. I’m ordering a fitting for my sewing machine that will make it easier in the future..

500459F1-87C1-4581-B867-CB1A7CFBF531.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Ross said:

Punisher, l made another set of the “adjunct professor straps” that you can have if you like in appreciation for posting this mod. If you want them send me a pm with your address and I will send them to you this week. I can send them no charge through my work account with Fed Ex.

The sewing of the binding around the perimeter isn’t that great. I’m ordering a fitting for my sewing machine that will make it easier in the future..

I'd snag a set of these if you have more for my GT Pros

12 hours ago, Ross said:

Wow that’s amazing work. Great job. I would love to try them out - they look way better-made than mine! Will PM you

On 12/30/2018 at 1:32 AM, Ross said:

No not laced in at all. Just used peel and stick Velcro on the lift and the the knee stack. I noticed that the front  angular part of the G3 knee stack was prone to compression so I added the lift to prevent that from happening plus I like the added height.

On my floor hockey pads I use hook side Velcro, it works great on hardwood and dimpled slide plates when I play on anything else. 

Oh man..You know Ill bug you about them Ball Hockey Pads LOL

15 hours ago, Ross said:

Between this and you're neck guard... you may have just become the go to guy for widgets and doohickies for those of us w/o a good hand at sewing machines etc.

Didn’t like the binding on the the couple that I made so I made some bindingless. They should be better as they have less bulk and are more flexible.

Sending these to Punisher, Cwarner and Motowngoalie to get some feedback.

D4725A49-4A4F-4A84-A27A-FAB5BDF805FE.jpeg

AF470C9B-3D48-424A-B99C-023CEDA665DB.jpeg

55AB4814-4FF7-464B-9BBA-C2FD28BA318A.jpeg

Archived