Transition from a cowling skate to a cowlingless one

Max27

23 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Just so you know, I made a couple toe saves tonight, and I'm not sure if it hit me on the toe cap or the holder, but I felt them enough to feel discomfort. I don't have a perfect flare b-fly so my Vapors are at a disadvantage on that level, and they weren't super hard shots. I've experienced this at least 4-5 times now since I've owned the skates. I fear that one of these days I'm going to get a real bomb and get injured.

thats weird that u feel shots considering how much they beef the toe caps up

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Max27 said:

thats weird that u feel shots considering how much they beef the toe caps up

I don't get it either. I wear the proper size, not touching and yet, I feel a shock like vibration if it catches at the right spot. Maybe it's because they're the 700? Maybe the 1X is thicker?

23 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I don't get it either. I wear the proper size, not touching and yet, I feel a shock like vibration if it catches at the right spot. Maybe it's because they're the 700? Maybe the 1X is thicker?

maybe. i have no idea

i remember the 1s, s190, and s170 all had the same beefed toe cap. not sure if they continued that in the vapor and 2s

On 1/4/2019 at 5:55 PM, seagoal said:

They're faster.  

image.png.fc3e205facacd84d322b89037638c3ad.png

they definetley are. i noticed it in my game this morning. i was so much faster. was able to push so much better and shuffling had literally no resistance. w my rbzs i felt resistance w the cowlingless skates i feel no resistance and i was so much quicker. i felt so awkward in them tho bc of how much stiffer they are than my rbz but theyll soften 

12 hours ago, RichMan said:

Just so you know, I made a couple toe saves tonight, and I'm not sure if it hit me on the toe cap or the holder, but I felt them enough to feel discomfort. I don't have a perfect flare b-fly so my Vapors are at a disadvantage on that level, and they weren't super hard shots. I've experienced this at least 4-5 times now since I've owned the skates. I fear that one of these days I'm going to get a real bomb and get injured.

in my game this morning i took a shot off the toe on purpose to see if the s27 has the same issues as the x700, both are the same price point level skate. I definetley felt it but it wasnt painful or anything. the vapor is a little softer of a skate so that could have caused it

40 minutes ago, Max27 said:

they definetley are. i noticed it in my game this morning. i was so much faster. was able to push so much better and shuffling had literally no resistance. w my rbzs i felt resistance w the cowlingless skates i feel no resistance and i was so much quicker. i felt so awkward in them tho bc of how much stiffer they are than my rbz but theyll soften 

in my game this morning i took a shot off the toe on purpose to see if the s27 has the same issues as the x700, both are the same price point level skate. I definetley felt it but it wasnt painful or anything. the vapor is a little softer of a skate so that could have caused it

The toe cap is pretty much the same plastic. Universal mystery my man.

On 12/11/2018 at 1:51 PM, southpawtendy48 said:

trav4oilers also wears a mask that doesn’t fit him, doesn’t wear a neck guard or dangler. I called him out for that after he broke his collarbone and he blocked me 😂

Trav4 and I friendly and I would say this in front of him and to him... Don't copy what Trav does with gear. He has very particular tastes. There's actually a rationale to most of his gear quirks, but most of them all into "don't try this at home".

5 hours ago, Max27 said:

In over 2 full years in no cowling skates, I have taken one good clapper off the toe. I got a bruise on my big toe and it chipped the nail. I have never take a puck off the inside of outside of the boot. I would say that 1 bruise every couple years is beyond reasonable.

I think the fact that i butterfly on 98% of shots and try to keep it as simple as possible is why I am lucky and don't get hit in the knees or weird places on my foot.

I would recommend ditching the cowling to nearly everyone. Trav4 Oilers, @bunnyman666 , and anyone doing toe up saves are the exception to that recommendation.

7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

In over 2 full years in no cowling skates, I have taken one good clapper off the toe. I got a bruise on my big toe and it chipped the nail. I have never take a puck off the inside of outside of the boot. I would say that 1 bruise every couple years is beyond reasonable.

I think the fact that i butterfly on 98% of shots and try to keep it as simple as possible is why I am lucky and don't get hit in the knees or weird places on my foot.

I would recommend ditching the cowling to nearly everyone. Trav4 Oilers, @bunnyman666 , and anyone doing toe up saves are the exception to that recommendation.

yeah i dont see many cases where ill be getting hit in the toe if any 

5 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Trav4 and I friendly and I would say this in front of him and to him... Don't copy what Trav does with gear. He has very particular tastes. There's actually a rationale to most of his gear quirks, but most of them all into "don't try this at home".

That’s good that you guys are friendly lol. I might’ve been a bit too harsh with what I said too him but you’d think someone who’s so particular about his gear would wear an effing neck guard 😆 I’m sorry he’s just asking to get hurt at that point. However let’s just say I have a lot of quirks with my gear so who am I to judge haha, also I’ve never listened to him so don’t worry about that

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

That’s good that you guys are friendly lol. I might’ve been a bit too harsh with what I said too him but you’d think someone who’s so particular about his gear would wear an effing neck guard 😆 I’m sorry he’s just asking to get hurt at that point. However let’s just say I have a lot of quirks with my gear so who am I to judge haha, also I’ve never listened to him so don’t worry about that

I have asked him about this on numerous occasions, because I think he's just begging for injury. He's very particular about having good neck mobility for tracking pucks in tight, like in an RVH situation. He personally feels neck guards get in the way.

He is swimming up stream compared to convention. I think 90% of NHL goalies weave a neck guard under their C&A, but it doesn't mean "he's wrong". At least it's a better answer then "because it looks cool"

45 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I have asked him about this on numerous occasions, because I think he's just begging for injury. He's very particular about having good neck mobility for tracking pucks in tight, like in an RVH situation. He personally feels neck guards get in the way.

He is swimming up stream compared to convention. I think 90% of NHL goalies weave a neck guard under their C&A, but it doesn't mean "he's wrong". At least it's a better answer then "because it looks cool"

id wear nothing if i could they dont do anything. i find the collars choke you and danglers get in the way and are annoying

2 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

only if you wear your pads like jared coreau

my pads sit pretty low so that the opposite

23 minutes ago, Max27 said:

id wear nothing if i could they dont do anything. i find the collars choke you and danglers get in the way and are annoying

my pads sit pretty low so that the opposite

I understand if it’s maybe too hot or it chokes you or reduces mobility, but it doesn’t “do nothing”, I 100% firmly believe I would have had definitely gotten injured if I didn’t have my neck guard. To each their own though this is a thread about cowlings lol

and yea, maybe Lundy loop if you want to increase fivehole coverage but not that high like coreau haha, rip to your toes

3 hours ago, Max27 said:

It's all about good sizeing and proper strap it on your neck.

I used to wear dangler when I start to play goal but constant DING, DING, DING was so annoying I was looking the way to get rid of it as soon as possible. Problem was Bauer Supreme neck guard I got was always moveing around, twisting and rotate around my neck. I saw it to ribano and replace velcro on the back to a clip and now there are no issue.

Back to the topic... I get my 1S last Friday and I'm super exited to try them out on todays practice :) I didn't use any high end goalie skates (only player one) and the differenct in stiffnes and inside padding is huge. I hope I will be able to move in them.

14 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I understand if it’s maybe too hot or it chokes you or reduces mobility, but it doesn’t “do nothing”, I 100% firmly believe I would have had definitely gotten injured if I didn’t have my neck guard. To each their own though this is a thread about cowlings lol

and yea, maybe Lundy loop if you want to increase fivehole coverage but not that high like coreau haha, rip to your toes

i find it gets in the way and chokes me up, wanna try and sew the neck piece into my c&a so its not directly tied around my neck

and i dont have any issue w them sitting low, i do a lot of shuffling, etc. and find the pads sitting low helps lessen pads interfering w each other

11 hours ago, Nohtaram said:

It's all about good sizeing and proper strap it on your neck.

I used to wear dangler when I start to play goal but constant DING, DING, DING was so annoying I was looking the way to get rid of it as soon as possible. Problem was Bauer Supreme neck guard I got was always moveing around, twisting and rotate around my neck. I saw it to ribano and replace velcro on the back to a clip and now there are no issue.

Back to the topic... I get my 1S last Friday and I'm super exited to try them out on todays practice :) I didn't use any high end goalie skates (only player one) and the differenct in stiffnes and inside padding is huge. I hope I will be able to move in them.

yea danglers are so annoying, been toying around w the tightness of it but i might try a DIY of sewing it into my c&a so it interferes less

and howd you like the 1s skates? i see this was 11 hours ago so i assume it happened already. feels a little awkward on the first skate 

11 hours ago, Max27 said:

yea danglers are so annoying, been toying around w the tightness of it but i might try a DIY of sewing it into my c&a so it interferes less

and howd you like the 1s skates? i see this was 11 hours ago so i assume it happened already. feels a little awkward on the first skate 

Yeap. I had the first practice yesterday evening and I felt like I was first time on the skates... The boot was so much harder than my previous skates that I need a time to adapt. I love how they grip to the ice though. Lateral pushes were also pretty well. Overall I'm pretty impresed with the skates.

One thing I noticed... They need to be laced tight on  top. Otherwise your foot will start to move around which is not comfortable and affect ability to skate.

3 hours ago, Nohtaram said:

Yeap. I had the first practice yesterday evening and I felt like I was first time on the skates... The boot was so much harder than my previous skates that I need a time to adapt. I love how they grip to the ice though. Lateral pushes were also pretty well. Overall I'm pretty impresed with the skates.

One thing I noticed... They need to be laced tight on  top. Otherwise your foot will start to move around which is not comfortable and affect ability to skate.

This!

I have found the same, felt wobbly the first few skates.

• 2 weeks later...

Well last night I had a horrible game. Lack of play time and no back checks aside, I felt so unstable in my Vapors. I've been using the 5LG blades. Decided to pop back in the 1LG blades to get a little lower and find my balance again for my next games. I know they're soft but I'd rather have solid balance and mobility over simply improved pic and slides.

If the next few games don't work, I'll be looking into something different, probably older, like some Supreme 3000s I saw recently.

New tech doesn't necessarily suit everyone I guess.

47 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Well last night I had a horrible game. Lack of play time and no back checks aside, I felt so unstable in my Vapors. I've been using the 5LG blades. Decided to pop back in the 1LG blades to get a little lower and find my balance again for my next games. I know they're soft but I'd rather have solid balance and mobility over simply improved pic and slides.

If the next few games don't work, I'll be looking into something different, probably older, like some Supreme 3000s I saw recently.

New tech doesn't necessarily suit everyone I guess.

yeah ive noticed this too. Skates feel great but theyre so much quicker than my old RBZ ones and i feel so unbalanced. the skates are fantastic tho

Another close up of the 2X Pros from IG the other day. Love the look of these.

I’m still pretty torn on what skates to get next. Right now I’m thinking True 1-piece, Bauer 2X or those CCM FT2. There’s been a lot of negative feedback on Trues, but on the flip side I think 2/3rds of Pro goalies are in them. Unless Pro Custom is worlds better than retail custom, there must be something to those numbers.

17A953CE-57AB-4924-8B71-2C1A66BA5240.png

@dstew29 No doubt that NHL guys are using True... but you have to remember they're not the one footing the bill (pun intended).  When I see photos of their quality control for beer league guys I wonder how many sets of skates pro guys are using (or is there a Pro Version of True skates not available at retail?)

For my money I went X900 when I went to a cowlingless skate.  After getting them baked, adding Bauer Speed Plates and LS5G steel I have the prefect set up for my needs with only spending 1/3 of the skates you mentioned.  

4 hours ago, cwarnar said:

@dstew29 No doubt that NHL guys are using True... but you have to remember they're not the one footing the bill (pun intended).  When I see photos of their quality control for beer league guys I wonder how many sets of skates pro guys are using (or is there a Pro Version of True skates not available at retail?)

For my money I went X900 when I went to a cowlingless skate.  After getting them baked, adding Bauer Speed Plates and LS5G steel I have the prefect set up for my needs with only spending 1/3 of the skates you mentioned.  

Good points on NHLers using True. Once you factor in direct access to True Reps and Equipment Managers that alone should solve any fit or finish issues with their skates. Retail buyers will just have to jump through a few more hoops and wait in line for similar adjustments but I'm sure they'd eventually get done too.

I'm not set on pro models of 2x or FT2 so I'll probably get fitted for sr and pro before pulling the trigger.

8 hours ago, dstew29 said:

Another close up of the 2X Pros from IG the other day. Love the look of these.

I’m still pretty torn on what skates to get next. Right now I’m thinking True 1-piece, Bauer 2X or those CCM FT2. There’s been a lot of negative feedback on Trues, but on the flip side I think 2/3rds of Pro goalies are in them. Unless Pro Custom is worlds better than retail custom, there must be something to those numbers.

17A953CE-57AB-4924-8B71-2C1A66BA5240.png

I'm with you man, been using my Reebok 11k for maybe 6 years now. I love those things but time for a change. With my wide foot I'm looking into the Vapors..... will be a big decision to drop alot of money on those. 

Archived