Newer is better? Mini rant

daffy

16 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I think we've seen the peak of sweeping changes to gear.  Elastic strapping, light weight and sliding materials.  Some minor innovations are likely to follow but I don't see a major breakthrough on the horizon.

That being said I've never been much a traditional gear guy.  My previous Smith 5000 set was nylon strapping, sliding toe and as thin and flexible as Pete could make on a solid outer roll pad.

Hence the easy transition into the GT Pro line.  I'll likely be in those until I stop playing but always want to demo new stuff (2X, IV l, SLR2 and the new Passau pad) but am not much of a "gear whore" when it comes to sets

Were those the all black ones that I bought/you practically gave away? I wish I'd have kept those. They were great. 

41 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

Were those the all black ones that I bought/you practically gave away? I wish I'd have kept those. They were great. 

No, the black set were 6000s that I got 2nd hand.

This was my 2nd custom set from Pete... had them for 7 years 

3DE3C148-3C54-48EE-8689-7E9E48383BF1.jpeg.37cd9b1e395eec7257ca4afe9e6cdc3d.jpeg

On 12/14/2018 at 5:18 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I just had a similar discussion with @jayluv54 in the 2X thread. Spoiler alert... I love new!

But I understand that some people don't like fresh gear, don't care care, or don't play hockey enough as an adult to justify to it.

Unless your mask is rotted out and is unsafe or you're complaining about 5 sole with old Helite 3 pads, I would never try to steer people into new gear. Do I think most new products are better? Yes I do. Do I think they are required to stop a puck or to love playing goalie? Nope.

Which I've been meaning to argue more about by the way, just haven't had time...lol

• 8 months later...

I bet the next big thing will be gear with sonar to help us find the puck on screens better. After that will come gear equipped with anti missile capability to shoot down pucks before they get to the net. :)

In my experience, the guys/gals chasing the latest and greatest are usually ones who've just started or have just a handful of years under their belts which is totally fine. Having said that, if it works for you, use it. Keeping an open mind helps...even for a dinosaur like myself. There was nothing cool about a chest that was a mere bulked up sweatshirt. In fact, it sucked.

Archived