Sher-Wood BPM150

TheGoalNet

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

True but the lie shouldn't matter much, if at all, if everyone is using the same measurement scheme. 

I bought a 25" Warrior Mrazek. Figured it would be close to my CCM 25" Price and it was not close. I inquired to Warrior and they said it might be an issue with the lies. @SaveByRichter35 then purchased this stick and had the same issues. We are both rattled with why this thing is so off...

13 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I bought a 25" Warrior Mrazek. Figured it would be close to my CCM 25" Price and it was not close. I inquired to Warrior and they said it might be an issue with the lies. @SaveByRichter35 then purchased this stick and had the same issues. We are both rattled with why this thing is so off...

Usually it's more that companies seem to pull sizing out of thin air. If everyone was measuring according to the "monkey measurement" posted earlier there would be no discrepancies and lie would be irrelevant. A warrior 26" is... what, exactly? I've never been able to find two points on the stick that are exactly 26" apart. 

Lie would only matter if you were measuring it in a way like... standing the stick straight against a wall and measuring floor to the top of the paddle, for example. 

That's why I wish all companies would switch to one single standard way of measuring their sticks so we wouldn't have to worry about any of this. 

• 4 weeks later...

SPECS:

Sherwood BPM 150

WEIGHT: 680g (weighed prior to taping)

LIE ANGLE: TBD

SIZE PADDLE : 25" (Actual  26.875")
SIZE SHAFT : STOCK (Actual 29.5")
CURVE: PP41 (Toe Curve)
MATERIAL: GRAPHENE INFUSED COMPOSITE  
COLOR SHAFT : BLACK 
COLOR PADDLE :
BLACK   
COLOR LOGOINLINE: WHITE 
COLOR LOGOOUTLINE: SILVER

TIME USED SO FAR: 5 SKATES 

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

PROS:

1. Super light. Only 42g (6.5%) heavier than my 2S Pro at the same size. The lie angle is definitely a steeper than the 2S Pro, much more in line with my Passaus and Warriors, so it plays a little taller. Took a little getting used to but nothing drastic.
  2. Flex: The biggest difference I felt was how incredibly stiff the stick is... rigid would almost describe it best. Energy transfer on rebounds is almost magically stronger than the shot itself... super hot. Directing them off the blade and into the corner is genuinely fun. The only concern I had when doing so is putting them out of play as some guys don't wear a cage or visor and the puck comes screaming off the blade. 
  3. Vibration: I'd say vibration is minimal, but I also only used it w/ grip tape applied, so not a true account of the stick alone.

CONS: 

1. Grip: As others have mentioned before, it would be nice if it had a grip coating. While we're talking grams here, having a grip coating applied at the factory would likely weigh less than applying grip tape for those us that prefer that feel.
  2. Paddle Shape: I didn't truly appreciate Bauer's work on the Ergo paddle until I used a stick as stiff as the BPM 150. Foam core paddles with a traditional shape will absorb a fair amount of the puck's impact, so the rebound off of it is relatively easy to control and predict. But when you combine that traditional shape with a composite as stiff and efficient in transferring energy as the Graphene infused composite the BPM 150 has... something bad happens. What would have otherwise been a relatively harmless rebound became a scramble or worse... ended up in the net. While certainly there is room to critique my technique, Bauer's use of the flat faced Ergo paddle on composite goal sticks is a stroke of genius... almost as if they put it through R&D. Maybe I just got spoiled using the 2S Pro, but everything is very well thought out and works as a system. (Also likely a good reason why their sticks cost more... gotta pay for that brain power and testing.)

VERDICT:

Everything has a price. While the materials, build quality, and lower price point of the BPM 150 make for a very attractive stick when compared to a 2S Pro, Sherwood stopped short of making it truly compete with the Bauer when they kept a traditional shape... which I'm guessing would run ~$70 USD per stick. Now that I've drank the composite stick juice... I'm stuck using Bauer until someone else can do more than just make a lighter version of what they made before.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

SPECS:

Sherwood BPM 150

WEIGHT: 680g (weighed prior to taping)

LIE ANGLE: TBD

SIZE PADDLE : 25" (Actual  26.875")
SIZE SHAFT : STOCK (Actual 29.5")
CURVE: PP41 (Toe Curve)
MATERIAL: GRAPHENE INFUSED COMPOSITE  
COLOR SHAFT : BLACK 
COLOR PADDLE :
BLACK   
COLOR LOGOINLINE: WHITE 
COLOR LOGOOUTLINE: SILVER

TIME USED SO FAR: 5 SKATES 

INITIAL THOUGHTS:

PROS:

1. Super light. Only 42g (6.5%) heavier than my 2S Pro at the same size. The lie angle is definitely a steeper than the 2S Pro, much more in line with my Passaus and Warriors, so it plays a little taller. Took a little getting used to but nothing drastic.
  2. Flex: The biggest difference I felt was how incredibly stiff the stick is... rigid would almost describe it best. Energy transfer on rebounds is almost magically stronger than the shot itself... super hot. Directing them off the blade and into the corner is genuinely fun. The only concern I had when doing so is putting them out of play as some guys don't wear a cage or visor and the puck comes screaming off the blade. 
  3. Vibration: I'd say vibration is minimal, but I also only used it w/ grip tape applied, so not a true account of the stick alone.

CONS: 

1. Grip: As others have mentioned before, it would be nice if it had a grip coating. While we're talking grams here, having a grip coating applied at the factory would likely weigh less than applying grip tape for those us that prefer that feel.
  2. Paddle Shape: I didn't truly appreciate Bauer's work on the Ergo paddle until I used a stick as stiff as the BPM 150. Foam core paddles with a traditional shape will absorb a fair amount of the puck's impact, so the rebound off of it is relatively easy to control and predict. But when you combine that traditional shape with a composite as stiff and efficient in transferring energy as the Graphene infused composite the BPM 150 has... something bad happens. What would have otherwise been a relatively harmless rebound became a scramble or worse... ended up in the net. While certainly there is room to critique my technique, Bauer's use of the flat faced Ergo paddle on composite goal sticks is a stroke of genius... almost as if they put it through R&D. Maybe I just got spoiled using the 2S Pro, but everything is very well thought out and works as a system. (Also likely a good reason why their sticks cost more... gotta pay for that brain power and testing.)

VERDICT:

Everything has a price. While the materials, build quality, and lower price point of the BPM 150 make for a very attractive stick when compared to a 2S Pro, Sherwood stopped short of making it truly compete with the Bauer when they kept a traditional shape... which I'm guessing would run ~$70 USD per stick. Now that I've drank the composite stick juice... I'm stuck using Bauer until someone else can do more than just make a lighter version of what they made before.

Thanks for adding the additional data points. I like the format on the top too with the text.

You have me curious now... We need to convince someone who prefers a more traditional shape or doesn't the 2S Pro paddle to try one.

14 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I've never used a Bauer composite.  What is so good about the paddle compared to a "traditional" paddle.

The Ergo paddle has a flat face to it as opposed to a traditional convex design. It significantly aids in rebound control and predictability... which becomes all the more important when you have the energy transfer that composites lend themselves to. 

Image result for bauer ergo paddle

55 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

The Ergo paddle has a flat face to it as opposed to a traditional convex design. It significantly aids in rebound control and predictability... which becomes all the more important when you have the energy transfer that composites lend themselves to. 

Image result for bauer ergo paddle

What's also interesting about this is that the BPM150 is basically flat.

Standard foam core or CCM composite is rounded / Concave

Bauer is convex with the Supreme line

Sherwood is flat and both sides of the paddle are almost parallel

On 1/24/2019 at 4:13 PM, goalie said:

FYI

Starting Jan 25 PHL is 50% of on BPM 150 for $135

After seeing this I went out and bought one Friday from PHL. It just shipped today to me. Then I was checking out kijiji locally Sunday and came across another brand new one, same curve and paddle height as I just bought. Went and picked it up this morning for $120 cnd. So I picked up two of these sticks for the price of one. I had been holding off buying a BPM150 to see if the price would come down or a sale somewhere as I can justify spending  $270 plus 13% tax on one stick. Am glad you posted this about the sale.

My currant sticks are pro return Bauer NXG's are getting up there in years but still holding up strong. I honestly didn't expect them to last this long as I bought them used from a whl goalie.

The one thing right off the hop is yes they need some kind of grip type material on them. Am looking at possible putting lizard skin tape on the shaft for grip as it won't leave as residue on my blocker like the cheap grip tape will. Anyone have an experience with it ?

22 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

After seeing this I went out and bought one Friday from PHL. It just shipped today to me. Then I was checking out kijiji locally Sunday and came across another brand new one, same curve and paddle height as I just bought. Went and picked it up this morning for $120 cnd. So I picked up two of these sticks for the price of one. I had been holding off buying a BPM150 to see if the price would come down or a sale somewhere as I can justify spending  $270 plus 13% tax on one stick. Am glad you posted this about the sale.

My currant sticks are pro return Bauer NXG's are getting up there in years but still holding up strong. I honestly didn't expect them to last this long as I bought them used from a whl goalie.

The one thing right off the hop is yes they need some kind of grip type material on them. Am looking at possible putting lizard skin tape on the shaft for grip as it won't leave as residue on my blocker like the cheap grip tape will. Anyone have an experience with it ?

Agreed 100%, the lack grip is a major flaw here. This is slicker than foam core.

I did a spray on coating and it worked great.

If you did the Lizard Skin, I'd love to see your feedback

I would not NOT recommend Sniper Skin. Those are slick too.

22 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Agreed 100%, the lack grip is a major flaw here. This is slicker than foam core.

I did a spray on coating and it worked great.

If you did the Lizard Skin, I'd love to see your feedback

I would not NOT recommend Sniper Skin. Those are slick too.

I thought about the spray coating but am only going to do the shaft, not the top part of the paddle like the Bauers. I Googled grip tape and the Lizard skin came up with some good reviews so that is what I want to try. Alot of them said they it left no residue on the palms of your gloves and didn't damage them. My only problem is I can't find it locally. The only sports store in town put it away with the baseball stuff and won't have it back out for another 2 months. So my next trip south I will have to stop in Orillia or Barrie at the sports chek to get some.

Am suprised that Sherwood never put anything there in the 1st place. Most every compsite stck has some type of grip in that area.

45 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

I thought about the spray coating but am only going to do the shaft, not the top part of the paddle like the Bauers. I Googled grip tape and the Lizard skin came up with some good reviews so that is what I want to try. Alot of them said they it left no residue on the palms of your gloves and didn't damage them. My only problem is I can't find it locally. The only sports store in town put it away with the baseball stuff and won't have it back out for another 2 months. So my next trip south I will have to stop in Orillia or Barrie at the sports chek to get some.

Am suprised that Sherwood never put anything there in the 1st place. Most every compsite stck has some type of grip in that area.

The shop where I plays sells it. I could pick it up if you need it

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up some Lizard Skin yesterday and used one roll to wrap both grip areas on the shaft of the sticks. I figure it was best to try it out there 1st before I add anymore to the stick. I was thinking of possibility adding a some around the area where my finger rest on the paddle but I will try just the shaft area 1st. I used the stick last week and I can say is wow, the shots off the blade area are crazy hot. So much so in the final min of my game saved a solid point shot, and it flew off my stick, caught a players stick and nailed  one of the guys infront of net right in face. The friggin snap of the puck hitting him with such force I couldn't believe it came of my own stick with that much power/force. It's something I have never seen on any stick before. The player was ok, he honestly though the shot from the point hit him straight on.

20190206_182050.jpg

20190206_182108.jpg

On 1/28/2019 at 12:20 PM, Snowman30 said:

So... I actually went the opposite route. Just picked up a few NXGs. Love the performance of the 2S Pro but not the price and finding them for less in my size has proven to be problematic. 

5 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

So... I actually went the opposite route. Just picked up a few NXGs. Love the performance of the 2S Pro but not the price and finding them for less in my size has proven to be problematic. 

One of the reasons I jumped on the Sherwoods was the price, also the reviews here helped. I can't justify spending $300 plus on one stick. Most times I look on Kijiji or the used sporting goods site for deals on sticks. The NXG's I got for $300cnd for 3 of them 2 years ago on Kijiji. They have done me very very well but if they break I wanted to have a back up plain in place. I also went back to my original paddle height of 26" with the Sherwoods, the Bauers are 25". 

@TheGoalNet, @Snowman30   How have you found shooting the puck compared to a more regular stick?

That has been my only downside with this stick.  It's so stiff that my shots just aren't as good and it took a bit to adjust to handling the puck with.   But the light weight, durability and shot directing pros outweigh the one con.  

I also picked them up for $135 ea when PHL had %50 on them.

5 hours ago, Almost Hip said:

@TheGoalNet, @Snowman30   How have you found shooting the puck compared to a more regular stick?

That has been my only downside with this stick.  It's so stiff that my shots just aren't as good and it took a bit to adjust to handling the puck with.   But the light weight, durability and shot directing pros outweigh the one con.  

I also picked them up for $135 ea when PHL had %50 on them.

Yes, this is one of the trade offs for the lightnin rebounds. The stick is on the stiffer end. 

I’m not great at playing the puck, so it doesn't horribly effect me. I am able to make a quick chip pass with it okay. If you’re more in tune with your puck playing and like a softer flex, I could see this being a bigger issue for some goalies 

As you mentioned the durability, price, weight, and rebound still make this a hard stick to beat all around 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I've been a Sher-Wood guy ever since Koho got rid of the Potvin pattern (Yes even during their odd SWD phase).  The BPM 150 is the best stick they have made in my opinion.  Love riffling puck to the far blue with some mustard on it now. 

Archived