Bunny's Cowlingless Skate Adventure

bunnyman666

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took my Vaughn cowlings and installed them onto my VH skates. As the cowling is not as huge around the skate as I had thought, it was quite easy to get them straight on the boot. 

Vaughn cowlings are so much like the old ICM cowlings it isn't funny! These may seem to be overkill by today's standards, but after a hard shot to the ball of my foot (which helped make me play very poorly), I don't want to take chances.

Overdrive blades will make me play better in these cowlings.

On 4/30/2017 at 10:17 PM, bunnyman666 said:

#cowlingsavefeet #cowlinglessskatessuck #justsaynotocowlinglessskates

Interesting. If I had to go back to a cowling, I would be interested to try the CCMs. The new ones look extremely minimal. 

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Wait wait wait, let me get this straight.  These guys are selling cowlings that they cut up in store at an upcharge?

They are modding cowlings on existing skates 

I had multiple people message me on Instagram telling me they did this and broke their foot. Although not everyone on here may not like a 2 piece... I did some diggings and the 1S boot is reinforced here compared to a Reactor model 

They are modding cowlings on existing skates 

I had multiple people message me on Instagram telling me they did this and broke their foot. Although not everyone on here may not like a 2 piece... I did some diggings and the 1S boot is reinforced here compared to a Reactor model 

I am certain that if I took a the shot on a conventional skate with that cut out that I did with my reinforced skate, I would not be playing hockey right now. That being said, now with the cowling, I don't feel shots (thus far). Again- that spot they cut out is where I got hit, so I am not going to cut that part of my cowling.

I just hope there is not a broken foot epidemic as a result.

5 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am certain that if I took a the shot on a conventional skate with that cut out that I did with my reinforced skate, I would not be playing hockey right now. That being said, now with the cowling, I don't feel shots (thus far). Again- that spot they cut out is where I got hit, so I am not going to cut that part of my cowling.

I just hope there is not a broken foot epidemic as a result.

I hope there is.  Maybe then people will stop being such sheep.

A boot that was designed to be inserted into a cowling should never be exposed like that. You are just asking for trouble. The cowlingless boots were designed to be cowlingless, and have better padding than the old boots. Never mind the wear to that area if it contacts the ice with any regularity.

I thought cowling cutting was stupid when the GGSU crowd started doing it on their own. A professional shop advocating (and charging for) making your skate less protective sounds like a recipe for lawsuits. I wonder if they make you sign a waiver agreeing not to sue them if you have a foot injury as a result of this operation.

I just took delivery of a pair of the cowlingless VH and they seem to have as much or more protection at the ball of the foot as the Bauer Vertexx cowling had, since the Bauer cowling really doesn't cover any of the instep.

If you are an old school guy that opens up the skate to make saves like the 70's, then I agree, cowlingless is not for you.

16 minutes ago, bc30 said:

A boot that was designed to be inserted into a cowling should never be exposed like that. You are just asking for trouble. The cowlingless boots were designed to be cowlingless, and have better padding than the old boots. Never mind the wear to that area if it contacts the ice with any regularity.

I thought cowling cutting was stupid when the GGSU crowd started doing it on their own. A professional shop advocating (and charging for) making your skate less protective sounds like a recipe for lawsuits. I wonder if they make you sign a waiver agreeing not to sue them if you have a foot injury as a result of this operation.

I just took delivery of a pair of the cowlingless VH and they seem to have as much or more protection at the ball of the foot as the Bauer Vertexx cowling had, since the Bauer cowling really doesn't cover any of the instep.

If you are an old school guy that opens up the skate to make saves like the 70's, then I agree, cowlingless is not for you.

Couldn't agree more.  Its just sheep following the herd.  This whole idea of cutting the cowling like this just to get, maybe, one or two more degrees of a push off angle is just absurd.  I'll never understand some of the most minute things that some people risk injury in order to attain.

Couldn't agree more.  Its just sheep following the herd.  This whole idea of cutting the cowling like this just to get, maybe, one or two more degrees of a push off angle is just absurd.  I'll never understand some of the most minute things that some people risk injury in order to attain.

One would argue that the Vertexx cut out  left you vulnerable in that spot, anyway.

Especially on an old school boot like a Reactor, this is a very foolish mod. And the modding? Not all that smooth...

12 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

One would argue that the Vertexx cut out  left you vulnerable in that spot, anyway.

Especially on an old school boot like a Reactor, this is a very foolish mod. And the modding? Not all that smooth...

I would agree the cutout leaves you a little vulnerable, however, the actual black piece of faux carbon is thicker than the plastic of the cowling.  So there was some kind of thought put into that.  I think the reason there is some vulnerability there is because it rests right against the boot whereas the cowling has some space between the two.

edit -  At least that is the case with my Bauer 7000 boots.  These boots obviously aren't meant for this cowling.

edit 2 - To add on to that, my comment wasn't directed toward what happen to you.  You had a freak mishap with skates that should have protected you.  That's just bad luck in my opinion.  If the skates are made to be worn sans cowling then they should be reinforced enough to protect you if hit where a cowling would normally protect you.

I would agree the cutout leaves you a little vulnerable, however, the actual black piece of faux carbon is thicker than the plastic of the cowling.  So there was some kind of thought put into that.  I think the reason there is some vulnerability there is because it rests right against the boot whereas the cowling has some space between the two.

edit -  At least that is the case with my Bauer 7000 boots.  These boots obviously aren't meant for this cowling.

edit 2 - To add on to that, my comment wasn't directed toward what happen to you.  You had a freak mishap with skates that should have protected you.  That's just bad luck in my opinion.  If the skates are made to be worn sans cowling then they should be reinforced enough to protect you if hit where a cowling would normally protect you.

Never saw it that way, the part about the comment. Yes- terrible luck, for certain!

And yes- there is a reason for the composite bit. Probably was the precursor to the new tech. 

7 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I would agree the cutout leaves you a little vulnerable, however, the actual black piece of faux carbon is thicker than the plastic of the cowling.  So there was some kind of thought put into that.  I think the reason there is some vulnerability there is because it rests right against the boot whereas the cowling has some space between the two.

I had the 1st gen Vertexx and they both broke in the cutout. I never fixed them. 

Thays why I loved this idea at first. I figured they were cuting out a broken sport anyway 

I'm on board this is not a smart idea 

• 3 months later...

Archived