Bunny's Cowlingless Skate Adventure

bunnyman666

Did Bishop finally graduate from his Bauer Tuuk cowlings? I can't tell in the pictures in the Sitings thread.

I thought that he may have. Flower definitely is in real cowlings, at this point. It definitely looks like the old guard is still wearing cowlings. 

Again- maybe I had a freak accident with my cowling-free VH skates, but I am not going cowling-free unless I am forced, then I will fashion my own protection. The bunny is quite attached to intact and unbroken feet, thank you very much!!!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, bunnyman666 said:

I thought that he may have. Flower definitely is in real cowlings, at this point. It definitely looks like the old guard is still wearing cowlings. 

Again- maybe I had a freak accident with my cowling-free VH skates, but I am not going cowling-free unless I am forced, then I will fashion my own protection. The bunny is quite attached to intact and unbroken feet, thank you very much!!!!

I hear ya man.  I wish I could get used to skates that would allow me to try this whole no cowling trend.  

I hear ya man.  I wish I could get used to skates that would allow me to try this whole no cowling trend.

I do think that the cowling-free skates will improve dramatically over the next few years and will mostly be better. I may even try them again in the future, meaning the far future.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently bought a pair of pro stock Bauer 1s goal skates off of sideline swap(highly recommend that site for buying gear) and have loved them so far, however the other night I was sliding acrossed and I had to stretch out as a clapper was coming on the ice to the side of the net I was sliding away from...to put it simply I got it square on the toe, it hurt but not a lot or anything, it was just one of those moment where you say “oh shit” (litterally what I said?)...this isn’t worrysome to me as I’m a younger goalie and I play butterfly style, I don’t wear my pads sitting high on my leg so it was a rare occasion that my skate was exposed...I haven’t used the stick 1s skates but I don’t notice any difference in thickness on the toe or anywhere else compared to the pro stock....

1 hour ago, Scott said:

I recently bought a pair of pro stock Bauer 1s goal skates off of sideline swap(highly recommend that site for buying gear) and have loved them so far, however the other night I was sliding acrossed and I had to stretch out as a clapper was coming on the ice to the side of the net I was sliding away from...to put it simply I got it square on the toe, it hurt but not a lot or anything, it was just one of those moment where you say “oh shit” (litterally what I said?)...this isn’t worrysome to me as I’m a younger goalie and I play butterfly style, I don’t wear my pads sitting high on my leg so it was a rare occasion that my skate was exposed...I haven’t used the stick 1s skates but I don’t notice any difference in thickness on the toe or anywhere else compared to the pro stock....

Good info. Thanks for sharing. 

To my knowledge, the toe caps are NOT beefed up on the pro stick vs retail. Good to hear your skates stood up to a clapper! 

• 3 months later...
6 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

@bunnyman666 - forgot to mention. I saw the AS1 the other day. I believe it was a prototype 

However, you should get that cowling. It has the no cowling attack angle and a toe cap. It’s really the best of both worlds 

I'm very curious to see them as well.  Still having some commitment issues moving to a one piece skate. 

I’ve noticed that in this forumn there seems to be quite a few ( I assume) older gentlemen who play a more traditional hybrid style and get shots to the inside/instep of their feet in the cowling less skates. I posted this on another thread earlier today, but what if you modified one of those player shot blockers (pictured) so if covered the instep of the skate, you could attach it to the laces, and to the bottom of the cowling/holder, aswell as to the Lundy loop if necessary. You thermo form the shot blocker so you have a tight fit to your skates, and you use some sticky foam spacers to provide that bit of air gap that a cowling provides. I personally don’t use this as I rarely expose the instep of my skate but it was just an idea I came up with while thinking up a solution for you older guys??

A22556E7-178A-4102-B7B0-1C5F64C97041.jpeg

Archived