1X Knee Pad Video Unboxing

TheGoalNet

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Based on the results of today’s IG poll... I’ll be buying some 1X Pro knee pads.

Anyone using them? Any feedback to share?

None to share since I've been with my CCM ever since ever but I'll be more than happy to hear your feedback once you get in them.  Would be willing to give them a try if the feedback is good.  For reference, what are you currently using?

22 minutes ago, Math. said:

None to share since I've been with my CCM ever since ever but I'll be more than happy to hear your feedback once you get in them.  Would be willing to give them a try if the feedback is good.  For reference, what are you currently using?

The Brian’s Pro. They’re the free ones that comes with Brian’s Pads 

I've tried just about every brand and style of knee guard. All have had their flaws: CCM with their screw that juts into your knee. Bauer Supremes leaving huge disc-shaped bruising on my outer knee. Vaughn always irritating my knees or leaving small bruises from when I land on them. I used a beat-to-shit pair of Vaughns for at least three to four years, occasionally swapping out for some new model to go right back to them, despite being rather thinned and missing a segment I cut out due to an injury/deep bruise I sustained skating as a forward.

I must say, these 1X are as close to perfect it'll get for me. I have no complaints! Been using them since February. I don't really notice them at all during the game, which for me, is the most important factor. No funky spots that feel awful to press on, no giant plastic shells that inhibit rotation, no sagging (I use the garter belt), no straps in uncomfortable places. Bauer has a winner here. It's a soft, segmented knee guard with a harder big shell that sits flush over the knee caps. The "anchor" strap also has a loop to prevent it from moving around during play. 

If you hate knee guards or can't seem to find one that feels right, give these a whirl.  

Many goalies have said these are the best knee pads .Can someone share a picture when you are wearing these? I tried once 1X knee pads and I think the black curv part sits little bit too low. When you go down in the butterfly curv part goes under your knee, not protect your knee perfectly. 

16 hours ago, Moose75 said:

I've tried just about every brand and style of knee guard. All have had their flaws: CCM with their screw that juts into your knee. Bauer Supremes leaving huge disc-shaped bruising on my outer knee. Vaughn always irritating my knees or leaving small bruises from when I land on them. I used a beat-to-shit pair of Vaughns for at least three to four years, occasionally swapping out for some new model to go right back to them, despite being rather thinned and missing a segment I cut out due to an injury/deep bruise I sustained skating as a forward.

I must say, these 1X are as close to perfect it'll get for me. I have no complaints! Been using them since February. I don't really notice them at all during the game, which for me, is the most important factor. No funky spots that feel awful to press on, no giant plastic shells that inhibit rotation, no sagging (I use the garter belt), no straps in uncomfortable places. Bauer has a winner here. It's a soft, segmented knee guard with a harder big shell that sits flush over the knee caps. The "anchor" strap also has a loop to prevent it from moving around during play. 

If you hate knee guards or can't seem to find one that feels right, give these a whirl.  

Great feedback

do got use a garter belt?

Currently three skates into using the 1X, previous kneepads have been (in chronological order):

- Various thigh wraps

- Vaughn 8880s : didn't suit pads at the time

- Bauer Reactors : nice and streamlined but got badly hurt twice using them

- Koho Swiss : great but overkill for rec / beer league level - ended up using without the plates

- Brians Gnetik : not a fan of the 'cup' style design where your knee lands, tore my knees up and they ended up splitting along one of the seams

- Brians B star : very similar in design to the old grey Rbks hard to keep them up and they slid around a lot

- Passau Gen 2 : best so far, not that bulky, stay in place, cushioned and protective. only downside is that you have to wear something over them so the shell doesn't snag 

Prior to getting the Passau's I actually tried a homemade version of the 1x design a few years ago, by using my old Reactors as a base and lacing on the 'shield' bit of the Brians Gnetik knees onto them (sure I've posted up a pic of this before) but I couldn't get the shield part to sit low enough on the Reactors for them to be effective.

As a fan of the Reactors (protection issues aside ? ) I've been looking forward to getting hold of the 1x's; so far so good - low profile, light and its seems like the curv shell will be protective. Theres not a lot of landing padding in them in comparison to the Passau's  and the curv shell actually comes down lower than i thought it would - not a bad thing as it essentially covers all the weak areas of the Reactors. Will update more as I get a bit more ice time in them. 

Just a note in regard to the strapping - I found the best way deal with the Reactor / 1X design was to strap them snug but not cranked, otherwise they feel like they're locked into a right angle position and can interfere with pads / rotation. 

On 11/10/2018 at 7:11 PM, Moose75 said:

I can echo many of these sentiments. 

Coming from a pair of V5s, I feel like I move better in the 1X. 

Many major retailers were actually sold out of the Senior Size 1X over this past summer, and for good reason. These are a well designed piece of gear. 

I've tried the majority of knee pads out there as well, and I would caution with the 1X - it's the old Bauer reactor with a plastic cap over the front. I'm only wary because the 1S knee pad IMO was LESS protective than the supremes it replaced, as getting shot in the knee was really uncomfortable. It also was prone to warping.

I've had the Warrior Ritual X pro for about 2 years now, and have been my favourite knee pad by far. It doesn't slip, it's easy to maintain, articulates well, doesn't bind and the knee landing is nice and cushy. Whatever material they use in it, is really great as it's barely compressed from use, unlike the stuff in the SR version. 

I would take another long hard look, and try out the Warrior ones. 

4 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

I've tried the majority of knee pads out there as well, and I would caution with the 1X - it's the old Bauer reactor with a plastic cap over the front. I'm only wary because the 1S knee pad IMO was LESS protective than the supremes it replaced, as getting shot in the knee was really uncomfortable. It also was prone to warping.

They’re not just the Reactor with a plastic cup but that’s a neat story. 

Using 1x knee pads myself. I've tried Brian's Pro II, Supreme NXG, Supreme 1s, and Warrior G3. I've never fallen in love with a set of knee guards faster. The Anchor Strap is the truth. They're the only knee guards I've ever been able to wear without taping. The meshy material that the thigh strap is made of doesn't chafe and breathes really well. I wear them directly on my skin, and underneath hockey socks. No binding or rubbing unless I'm flip flopping around on the ice and the knee block gets stuck underneath the knee guard cap. If you have real skinny legs, you might have some issues with the thigh strap not being tight enough. I stap mine to the farthest edge of the velcro and it stays on. If you're a big guy, you'll have no problem wrenching these down. There are no gimmicks with the padding. Just standard foam. However, the inside of the whole knee guard is one smooth piece of foam with no seams or plastic to rub on. There's some vent holes but I don't know if they make any noticeable difference. If I had one complaint it's that it took a few weeks to break in and sometimes if they're really dry, the thigh and calf segment will pinch together on the sides, but that's easily taken care of by tweaking it a bit or wetting down the outside edges where they come together. Durability has been great. I've worn them three times a week for the past six months. The only wear I've noticed is a little bit of color fading in the knee cradle and some sweat stains on the white material.

If you've ever worn the Reactor or X900 knee guards, they feel nearly the same and just as comfortable, except blockier around the calf and thigh and with a composite knee shield. Zero stingers. Zero welts. Zero chafing. 

FWIW I wear these with 1x pads and 1s pants. I don't use the garter because they stay up on their own.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:06 AM, wox33 said:

Love my 1x knee pads. First set of knee pads I’ve had that didn’t bruise my knees. The garter is great at keeping them up and as long as your wear socks over them it keeps the curv knee cap in check. 

FYI, I wear the knee pads using the garter belt but without socks and I have no problem with the knee cap catching on my pads.

43 minutes ago, BauerHockey47 said:

FYI, I wear the knee pads using the garter belt but without socks and I have no problem with the knee cap catching on my pads.

With the way I have to strap my 1X pads behind the knee I found the knee cap would catch on the outer flap during some transitions but with socks over the top I’ve had zero issues. 

On 11/13/2018 at 9:03 PM, wox33 said:

With the way I have to strap my 1X pads behind the knee I found the knee cap would catch on the outer flap during some transitions but with socks over the top I’ve had zero issues. 

@wox33, I was mainly quoting you so readers didn't think this was a universal problem. But for context, I am still rocking old Reebok PIII's with only the elastic knee strap, two calve straps, and a boot strap. I've cut everything else off and wear them fairly loose. So that may be why I do not experience any catching with the 1X knee pads.

11 hours ago, BauerHockey47 said:

@wox33, I was mainly quoting you so readers didn't think this was a universal problem. But for context, I am still rocking old Reebok PIII's with only the elastic knee strap, two calve straps, and a boot strap. I've cut everything else off and wear them fairly loose. So that may be why I do not experience any catching with the 1X knee pads.

Yeah I should've clarified in my original post that it wasn't a widespread issue just one that I specifically ran into with the way I was setup.

I've been using them for about eight months now, usually 2x a week. Previously used Reactors (too flimsy/unprotective) and OD1N (too big/bulky).

I love them - they stay up and in position without tape or garter, and I've only once had them move on me and be uncomfortable. Good landing area, nice profile, and they've worked well with my Premiers and G3s. Very protective too - have taken several shots off of them because of my narrow butterfly and they've protected me.

I had a really shitty 2 hour pick-up last night. I'm really starting to question all of my gear, it is unf@%^&believable. It could be the new job that's very physical and took its tole, but regardless, I'm starting to make some changes. First one is knee pads. I just placed an order for the Vapor 1X. I was very hesitant but figured I'd check them out before hitting the reject button. I'll come back with some feedback on these by next weekend the latest. I just hope they fit my good sized thighs. 

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

I had a really shitty 2 hour pick-up last night. I'm really starting to question all of my gear, it is unf@%^&believable. It could be the new job that's very physical and took its tole, but regardless, I'm starting to make some changes. First one is knee pads. I just placed an order for the Vapor 1X. I was very hesitant but figured I'd check them out before hitting the reject button. I'll come back with some feedback on these by next weekend the latest. I just hope they fit my good sized thighs. 

You won't regret getting them. I don't use the top strap because I have tree-trunk-sized goalie thighs, but the bottom two straps do a great job keeping them in place. (No need for clear tape.) I also use a garter to hold them up. (I cut off the part of the garter belt used to hold up socks.)

Archived