1X Knee Pad Video Unboxing

TheGoalNet

41 minutes ago, BauerHockey47 said:

You won't regret getting them. I don't use the top strap because I have tree-trunk-sized goalie thighs, but the bottom two straps do a great job keeping them in place. (No need for clear tape.) I also use a garter to hold them up. (I cut off the part of the garter belt used to hold up socks.)

I don't like the idea of not doing up a strap, I like a piece of equipment to be an extension of my body as much as possible. We'll see when they get here. A similar design, minus the knee cap, that I wore in the past were the John Brown model. If the Bauer don't cut it, I'm gonna go back to the source with Brown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I just got them today. They are quite light and VERY stiff. How long did it take you guys to break them in? And it looks like i wont be able to use my knee lock because of how wide the knee cap flares. As expected, the elastics are tight on my legs. Damn you gorgeous muscular gams lolllll

14 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Well, I just got them today. They are quite light and VERY stiff. How long did it take you guys to break them in? And it looks like i wont be able to use my knee lock because of how wide the knee cap flares. As expected, the elastics are tight on my legs. Damn you gorgeous muscular gams lolllll

As long it doesn't cut off your circulation!

Any news on the 2x replacement for these ? Most stores around me in Canada are sold out of them and won't order anymore in as they wait for the 2x ones. I have found a couple online out west but the dam Canada Post strike screws  everything up. I could order them but I won't get them till Jan./Feb at the earliest as they are so backed up.

Had a few more skates in mine now, love the light weight and (relatively) low profile of them but my knees are notably taking a hammering from the lack of landing foam in comparison to the Passau's I've been using for the last couple of years. They also move around a bit more than the Passau's and as a result the curv cap on one of the guards can slip under the knee where I end up landing on it. 

I think my holy grail of knee pads would be the Passau design with the upper section either narrowed or more form contoured to the leg.

2 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

Had a few more skates in mine now, love the light weight and (relatively) low profile of them but my knees are notably taking a hammering from the lack of landing foam in comparison to the Passau's I've been using for the last couple of years. They also move around a bit more than the Passau's and as a result the curv cap on one of the guards can slip under the knee where I end up landing on it. 

I think my holy grail of knee pads would be the Passau design with the upper section either narrowed or more form contoured to the leg.

Are you saying the Passau ones are too bulky? I was thinking of trying those after 1X

6 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Are you saying the Passau ones are too bulky? I was thinking of trying those after 1X

Yes, yes they are. Between that and how lose the outer cap is they were to me one of the worst knee pads out there. Tried them over socks and under, also taped down and the outer cap always caught my knee block 99% of the time. I ended up selling mine and taking big hit to move them.

12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

For me the bulk is fine with the Passau's, (thats always relative though as I've previously owned the Koho Swiss!) just having used the 1X now, I'd prefer if the upper portion of the Passau's contoured to the leg a little more - to me that'd make them almost perfect because I think overall the Passau's are a far better design on whole.

That said, there is always the caveat with the Passau's that they need socks or under armour over the top of them to keep the shell in order. 

Just as a quick update: I went back to the Passau's last night and they are notably more comfortable / cushioned than the 1X, think I'll be sticking with them and moving the 1X on. The size difference is noticeable between the two, but I also found that having a bit more knee elevation with the Passau's helped with pushes. 

So I wore the 1X tonight and 1- they felt bulky in my knee cradle despite not using the elastic strap. 2- they were kinda tight on the leg, and I kept the straps at their minimum. 3- being not broken in, they didn't flex comfortably and even gave me some pinching on the bottom or middle straps. Couldn't tell really which one. 4- the landing is a little hard on the knee for sure, nothing plush about them. 5- this one bothers me the most, because of the cap's size, they prevented me from closing my butterfly properly.6- they held up in place somewhat, under my hockey socks with one wrap of clear tape under the knee cap. I haven't used the garter system that came with it as I wanted to try my usual setup first.

I will give them a game or 2 more before I take a clear decision on keeping these or not.

2 hours ago, RichMan said:

So I wore the 1X tonight and 1- they felt bulky in my knee cradle despite not using the elastic strap. 2- they were kinda tight on the leg, and I kept the straps at their minimum. 3- being not broken in, they didn't flex comfortably and even gave me some pinching on the bottom or middle straps. Couldn't tell really which one. 4- the landing is a little hard on the knee for sure, nothing plush about them. 5- this one bothers me the most, because of the cap's size, they prevented me from closing my butterfly properly.6- they held up in place somewhat, under my hockey socks with one wrap of clear tape under the knee cap. I haven't used the garter system that came with it as I wanted to try my usual setup first.

I will give them a game or 2 more before I take a clear decision on keeping these or not.

ive been using the senior one you showed for nearly a year and they are definitely less padded than the 1x ones. havent used the 1x but if you described the landing as hard theyre a lot different. the landing on the senior is super soft despite being a really thin landing piece, which gives good comfort when you go down, but since the landing block on  my pads is super soft they tend to kinda sink down into the ice, kinda makes me feel unbalanced at times but its whatever

they also have held up fantastic, no wear or fraying,etc. that is noticeable when using them or that is visible on them

Tried these today along with my GNetik IV set and posted on IG about it. Pretty shocked, but I got just as many questions about these as my new set up!

Strapping set up is unreal. Also feel very secure and protected in these.

I wear my pads pretty snug and my only concern is they might be a bit bulky for my preference with strapping. Need to give them a final shake before jumping to an conclusions. 

I think if you wear your pads looser though, this might appeal to you big time 

EF3E222F-476F-4AE0-9D4C-A54AA6656E4A.jpeg

On 12/3/2018 at 6:20 PM, RichMan said:

You know, as I looked at mine, they're nothing more than the senior knee pads with a forward's shoulder cap over it. I've yet to use them, so no verdict from for now.

image.png.767ce300122b864285a88fa88054714e.pngimage.thumb.png.9d4f3cb3343c0c62989ed4390acc50c9.pngimage.png.6ffb0cda361619aa49d1533104003beb.png

If I find the knee cap too bulky, I’d be curious to try an X900 at some point. This strapping without the knee cap might interesting. 

Have you had more skates? Get used to them?

22 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

If I find the knee cap too bulky, I’d be curious to try an X900 at some point. This strapping without the knee cap might interesting. 

Waiting for my next chance to play before Christmas, otherwise it will be in the first week of January.

If I were to wear something like the X900, I'd just rather go straight to some John Brown knee pads which I've used in the past and was fine with. They would better suit using knee locks.

34 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Tried these today along with my GNetik IV set and posted on IG about it. Pretty shocked, but I got just as many questions about these as my new set up!

Strapping set up is unreal. Also feel very secure and protected in these.

I wear my pads pretty snug and my only concern is they might be a bit bulky for my preference with strapping. Need to give them a final shake before jumping to an conclusions. 

I think if you wear your pads looser though, this might appeal to you big time 

EF3E222F-476F-4AE0-9D4C-A54AA6656E4A.jpeg

Yes, guys/gals that wear their knee elastic down at the calf wrap would benefit more, hence why I simply removed my knee lock elastic to test. It's not permanent as it's velcroed at both ends.

How many times do you guys get hit in the knees? I will be lucky to get hit once a year...I just want  something comfortable for my knees to land on, nothing bulky. 

I tried the ccms and they felt very comfortable at the store, ppl complaining about the screws but how on earth would you land on them?

I can't find these here sadly to give it a try.  Too bad they don't make the old bauer supremes anymore. 

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Waiting for my next chance to play before Christmas, otherwise it will be in the first week of January.

If I were to wear something like the X900, I'd just rather go straight to some John Brown knee pads which I've used in the past and was fine with. They would better suit using knee locks.

Just as an FYI - I have a wide open knee cradle. I do calf down. 

13 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

How many times do you guys get hit in the knees? I will be lucky to get hit once a year...I just want  something comfortable for my knees to land on, nothing bulky. 

I tried the ccms and they felt very comfortable at the store, ppl complaining about the screws but how on earth would you land on them?

I can't find these here sadly to give it a try.  Too bad they don't make the old bauer supremes anymore. 

I can’t tell you last time I got hit in the knee. 

I didn’t wear knee pads until Optik and have basically stuck with them because I think the extra cushion on the landing is good for the knees. It also allows me to use very hard knee blocks which is good for seal and sliding 

The “free” Brians ones that came with my first Optiks are now starting to loosen up a bit and slide around. It’s not that bad and I don’t do a garter belt or anything either. 

However, since the Brian’s are started to show some wear, I’m kicking around ideas and trying other stuff. 

Specifically which Supreme ones did you like? Post a pic?

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

if ur looking for a thinner more streamlined knee pad the x900 is a good choice

i use them, but unlike you i strap my knee strap across bc the pad was overrotating when it was at the calf, and my knee popped out of the knee blocks when it wasnt directly across

22 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I can’t tell you last time I got hit in the knee. 

I didn’t wear knee pads until Optik and have basically stuck with them because I think the extra cushion on the landing is good for the knees. It also allows me to use very hard knee blocks which is good for seal and sliding 

The “free” Brians ones that came with my first Optiks are now starting to loosen up a bit and slide around. It’s not that bad and I don’t do a garter belt or anything either. 

However, since the Brian’s are started to show some wear, I’m kicking around ideas and trying other stuff. 

Specifically which Supreme ones did you like? Post a pic?

I hear ya, I need comfort. The original Bauer Supreme knee guards, good cushion! 

Screenshot_20181214-161256_Google.jpg

I had the original Supremes and those things hurt my knees ten times more than my Vapors ever have. I also went straight across with my 1x pads and now go to the calf with my Vaughn’s and haven’t had issues with the size. I do think that wearing socks over them does make a huge difference though. 

25 minutes ago, wox33 said:

I had the original Supremes and those things hurt my knees ten times more than my Vapors ever have. I also went straight across with my 1x pads and now go to the calf with my Vaughn’s and haven’t had issues with the size. I do think that wearing socks over them does make a huge difference though. 

It was all cushion I don't know how it would hurt anyone's knees. 

Archived