1X Knee Pad Video Unboxing

TheGoalNet

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2nd skate with these. High improvement over the first. Part of that was that I got my pads dialed correctly and didn't find these too bulky.

They don't slip and I barely notice them on.

Like with all knee pads,  I wish they had some extra and softer foams on the landing side of the knee area.

4 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

2nd skate with these. High improvement over the first. Part of that was that I got my pads dialed correctly and didn't find these too bulky.

They don't slip and I barely notice them on.

Like with all knee pads,  I wish they had some extra and softer foams on the landing side of the knee area.

I've heard of a few people wearing some small volleyball knee pads underneath to give that extra cushion without binding them up.  Seem to be pretty happy with it, but I don't know about all that extra material around the knee. 

I just picked up a set of Koho 589 behemoths for $50 after my PAW's failed me recently, trying to figure out if I can make them work, couldn't pass up the deal though.

On 12/18/2018 at 2:27 AM, CadenWelch30 said:

Anyone use the bauer 1x knee pads with CCM P1 or P2 pads yet? If so how did the combo work? Bulky? Even if you have eflex pads and have used 1x knees with them let me know. 

I use them with XLTs and have no issue what so ever.  

41 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

I went to the G-Form knee pads therefore my 1X knee pads are for sale. Only one use.

https://www.backcountry.com/g-form-pro-x-knee-pads?CMP_SKU=GFM000Z&MER=0406&skid=GFM000Z-BLACM-XL&mr:trackingCode=CC0C8CEE-CD4C-E811-8104-005056944E17&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=_k_EAIaIQobChMIqfWvga6t3wIVBb7ACh1hYwgVEAQYASABEgJTiPD_BwE_k_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqfWvga6t3wIVBb7ACh1hYwgVEAQYASABEgJTiPD_BwE

These? Or the Bauer version?

In either case, seems like an odd material choice or I am overlooking this? The material hardens on impact. So wouldn't it get stiffer every time you dropped instead of softer?

19 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

They're from the G-Form website, I dunno what that link is.

21 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

I went to the G-Form knee pads therefore my 1X knee pads are for sale. Only one use.

im  thinking of getting the g form knee pads and also wear the bauer 1x knee guards at the same time. might help with comfort?

I wore my new Bauer Vapor 1X Knee Guards today for my first skate in them. Here are my first post game impressions:

- size is perfect, fit really well within my Opitik knee landing.  Lots of room while wearing under socks.

- used the garter belt. Held up the knee guards really well with the socks and they stayed in place.  Found the garter belt did put some pressure on my jock. Plan on trying out my taping method to compare. Not used to wearing a garter belt and takes longer to hook up the socks than taping them.

- Knees are sore from landing on them. They need some break in time. I also think my knees were landing a little high in them and not in that sweet spot which may have caused some of the discomfort.  So far not as comfortable as my Warrior Ritual X Senior knee guards but need to continue to work on working them in.  The Warriors landing area starting to pancake.  After a year just not as cushy.  

I never thought getting new knee guards would cause me to be so finicky. I’m just so focused on getting them to fit and land right similar to my Warriors.

On 12/19/2018 at 10:19 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I found them there, they are the same thing.

Have you used them yet? Are they soft when you land?

I wouldn't say soft. I just can't stand any version of the modern knee pads and just had to have something there cus I can't continue to gamble with nothing separating the puck and my knee besides socks.

But they feel good, comfy.

On 12/22/2018 at 6:31 AM, Adam Cooper said:

- Knees are sore from landing on them. They need some break in time. I also think my knees were landing a little high in them and not in that sweet spot which may have caused some of the discomfort.  So far not as comfortable as my Warrior Ritual X Senior knee guards but need to continue to work on working them in.  The Warriors landing area starting to pancake.  After a year just not as cushy. 

I had a similar experience, so tried them with some McDavid Hex knee pads I had lying around; that was a lot better but obviously increased the total knee bulk which kinda negated the slimness which is one of the 1X's main positives, so I think overall I'm just going to stick with the Passau's.

So I had my second game in these Bauer Vapor X Senior knee guards and I used my sock tape method and that worked like a charm. These stayed in place just as good as my old Warrior Knee Guards. For now I’m saying goodbye to the garter belt. I did not like wearing it. It might explain why some vendors carry it and some don’t. 

This time they were more comfortable but still not sure they are as comfortable as the Warriors. 

8C16B52F-2556-4B7C-9F64-0086CEC8901F.jpeg

19376E0F-2B74-4697-9F92-E65A0CA67DA2.jpeg

B8FE192E-FE1A-4338-933F-0C7D007AC800.jpeg

Nope, just let the Velcro strap do the work to shape appropriately.  Using the strap and fitting it into your sock should work fine.  These rotated really well in my Optiks.  If you wear over your socks then yes, I’d be concerned this shell might get caught on something. Maybe @TheGoalNet can share his thoughts as I’ve only wore these once. 

I wore mine under socks as I've always done with any knee pads. I have good size legs and I have to watch not to have the straps so tight they cut the circulation and give me bruising. I'm trying to contact Bauer (which is nearly impossible) to ask if they can be baked a few minutes to help work them in.

After multiple skates, I can say the strapping and bulkyness is perfect! Beyond impressed. 

The downside? The knee landing is brutal. In fairness, I have hard knee blocks in my pads, but I don’t have this issue with the stock Brian’s knee pads. 

If Bauer would just add a soft knee landing on these knee pads, they’d have a nearly perfect product 

It would be really nice if they could figure out how to soften up right where the knee hits on any of their knee pads. Using mine with my PVE's now for a few games and I can definitely feel it more than I ever could when I was wearing them with my Vapors. It's not terrible or anything and I don't have any bruising but I did notice my knees were red after last nights game.

55 minutes ago, wox33 said:

It would be really nice if they could figure out how to soften up right where the knee hits on any of their knee pads. Using mine with my PVE's now for a few games and I can definitely feel it more than I ever could when I was wearing them with my Vapors. It's not terrible or anything and I don't have any bruising but I did notice my knees were red after last nights game.

No issues with the Brian's GNetik and drop down pain if you need an alternate model.

Oh noooo.....

Wow!  This has me worried.  I should have paid more attention to Matt’s comment on hockeyreviews.com. He said these aren’t the best knee pads to wear for back to back games...

I’m going to continue trying these Bauer Vapor X knee guards to see if they cause any lasting effects or bruises on my knees. 

Coincidentally, I just sold my Brian’s Senior Pro Knee Guards today.  

Archived