1X Knee Pad Video Unboxing

TheGoalNet

7 hours ago, wox33 said:

Damn. Are the knee blocks on the Gnetiks made out of cement

They’re hard, haha. 

You bring up a good point, I should try them with the P2s to see how I find them. Maybe the GNetik combo  exasperates the issue. 

But I also haven’t had issues with the stock Brian’s knee pads and bruises. I had the hard knee blocks in both TGN Specs 

As an FYI, you can order multiple hardness of knee blocks from Brian’s with custom 

@Adam Cooper what pads are you in?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m in the Brian’s Optik Flex pad with standard knee block. The Warrior Ritual X knee guards worked fine for comfort but after a year now the knee landing is losing its cushiness.  I was hoping the Bauer Vapors would offer at least the same.

It really is like Goldilocks and the Three Bears  when choosing knee guards.  If they are too soft you risk losing some responsiveness and power slamming pads into the ice.  Too hard and your knees get sore or worse, bruised or strained.

For landing comfort only I would rank my knee guards I’ve used as follows: 

1. Warrior Ritual X Senior

2. Brian’s Pro Senior 

3. Bauer Vapor X Senior

If I considered all components my ranking would be different.

21 minutes ago, Adam Cooper said:

I’m in the Brian’s Optik Flex pad with standard knee block. The Warrior Ritual X knee guards worked fine for comfort but after a year now the knee landing is losing its cushiness.  I was hoping the Bauer Vapors would offer at least the same.

It really is like Goldilocks and the Three Bears  when choosing knee guards.  If they are too soft you risk losing some responsiveness and power slamming pads into the ice.  Too hard and your knees get sore or worse, bruised or strained.

For landing comfort only I would rank my knee guards I’ve used as follows: 

1. Warrior Ritual X Senior

2. Brian’s Pro Senior 

3. Bauer Vapor X Senior

If I considered all components my ranking would be different.

I’m getting some Warrior’s next 

That's a great choice.

I'm useing Warriors Ritual X Senior knee guards for last couple years and now switching to Ritual X Pro - just need to saw in some tabs so I can lace them into my pants.

Useing Warrior's with hockey socks and tape work best for me. Holds everything in place.

3 hours ago, Nohtaram said:

That's a great choice.

I'm useing Warriors Ritual X Senior knee guards for last couple years and now switching to Ritual X Pro - just need to saw in some tabs so I can lace them into my pants.

Useing Warrior's with hockey socks and tape work best for me. Holds everything in place.

Why did you change? Are the Pro's much bulkier?

@Adam Cooper You had the pros or the Sr in the Warrior?

@TheGoalNet I used my standards Warriors for last 4 years and knee landing area is a little bit used by now. They are still pretty great knee guards.

I get PRO version with my pads and they waiting in basement for that time. I found them recently and thougt that's right time to make a switch. 

PRO version has front plate bulkier and it seems more rigid. Maybe upper plate is also a little bit bulkier but not sure.

@TheGoalNet @Nohtaram I have the Warrior Senior Knee Guards. They do not offer enough protection from shots.  I got caught on the knee with a medium shot wearing these and I got a bruise that really hurt which is why I switched to the Bauer Vapor’s. It seems I just gave up comfort for protection. Never tried the Warrior Pro’s but sounds I like they are the “it” Knee Guard to buy. If the Bauer’s turn out horribly for me I’m switching to those as well. 

So now I know what some of you mean with the rough hard landing of the 1X knee pads. First few drops I was conscious about it and eventually blocked it out, but I certainly had tender knees after the game. I also tried the garter belt that comes with them (removed the rear strap, useless IMO) and it worked better than just taping the lower part over my socks as I usually do. I'm seriously contemplating removing my knee lock/cradle from my Smith pads to give me the extra space for better rotation until I can afford to get me some Warrior GT pads.

Quick update on the Bauer Vapor X Knee Guards I've been wearing the last couple weeks.  Similar to @RichMan @TheGoalNet I found these knee guards left my knees really sore after my first two games.  What I realized was that I was not wearing them properly and getting rid of the garter belt and going with tape really helped with stability and landing in the right spot.  In the beginning, I had my knees more aligned to the Curve protection which caused them to land more on the seam versus the proper landing spot.  That's now corrected and the last couple games I've had no pain, no stability issues and no knee fatigue.  Now these are still not as comfortable for landing versus the Senior Warriors or Brian's Pro knee guards that I've used but for now I'm very happy with these and sticking with them.  Still not direct hits so I can't share how they hold up to shots yet. 

• 4 weeks later...

wore 1X again today. After wearing 1S for 2 skates with no issues, I got inspired.

So the day I got bruises, I skated for 2 hours and probably got 100+ shots. My GNetik IV pads were also very new. Maybe it's possible that's a perfect storm for problems?

I still think 1X and 1S could both be more cushioned where you land, but these were great today. I didn't even notice I had knee pads on.

3 hours ago, Adam Cooper said:

I'm with you @TheGoalNet.  For my last 3 games I went back to my Warrior Knee Guards.  They are more comfortable than the Bauer 1X for landing.  I'm still keeping my Bauer's and will go back to them but they still need a work in period.

That’s sorta where I’m at. I think the 1X strapping and “not being noticed” during movement has to be the best on the market. 

Unsure right now if the landing is really a bad design or maybe needs some break in time. I’ll update this again after more skates  

Yesterday was my fifth or sixth skate with the 1X KPs and they feel much better. I wore them on their own at first under hockey socks with some tape as I've done with all my knee pads in the past. They were too stiff so moved down forcefully. Tried them with their garter belt system and I hated to sock attachment. Tried on their own again since they were broken in, which was ok but not perfect still. Now, I wear their garter but removed the sock attachments, velcro the KP secure strap loosely cause I have long thighs, and then put on my original garter belt for my socks and all is good now.

Important factors is that they take time to break in and you need plenty of space in the knee cradle. If anything, Bauer should consider a more comfortable foam at the knee to land on, and maybe lengthen the body a bit, at the flex part to allow a more natural bend, especially on tall goalies like myself.

@TheGoalNet and @RichMan. Hi guys.  I shelved my Bauer Vapors for the last 5 games and went back to my Warriors.  Maybe this Friday I'll put them on again and take your advice at trying to break them in.  I just think the comfort can't compare and I've probably had a really hard shot hit my knee just 3-4 times over the last 1.5 years.  Considering that ratio I might be more willing to stick with the Warriors which offer less protection.  But I will give these Bauer some more games so I can do a more accurate video review in the coming weeks.  

A friend let me borrow his Bauer Supreme Sr. Knee Guards for a game and I hated them.  Too bulky, and the comfort was not good at all.  Steer clear of those ones.

I’ve worn this 5-6 more times and skated 3 times in 4 days. No issues at all. 

Agreed a little softer foam would be money, but I couldn’t be happier with this after break in. 

Dont slide up or down, don’t need the garter, very natural feeling and I don’t notice them, and the Velcro doesn’t wear out my leg channel. 

• 1 month later...

Following on Adam's video, I have to say that I'm happy with mine now. I've used them about a dozen times and once that stiff break-in period has passed, the flexibility is perfect. Referring to that landing discomfort that many complain of, mine has pretty much gone. How? I don't know and I won't mess with the magic, lolll. As for the strapping and set-up, I am opposite of Adam where I use the garter (but have removed the sock attachment straps) and wear it under my goalie cup, along with my socks garter. I keep the lower strap a tad tight and velcro the other 2 loosely so it can flex with my thighs and not cut off circulation. Under socks, one turn of clear tape under the knee cap to lock them in and voila.

Mind you, I haven't tried the Warrior ones yet, which I'm still curious about their pro version. Otherwise, the only other knee pads I've tried that felt this comfortable have been the JBrown ones.

Important info: despite these being less bulky than most (excluding the Browns), they best suit a wide or open knee cradle for proper rotation.

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2019 at 1:26 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Here’s a bruise from yesterday... I’m not crazy 

E65CD015-3761-4CC9-9363-146D59B2C976.jpeg

So I’ve been using these for the last 5 months with no issue! 

I went back to GNetik today and I got sore again. I have extra hard knee blocks in my GNetik pads. 

I have not had any issue with CCM or Bauer pads. I’ve had no issue with GNetik and Brian’s Pro II knee pads. It’s pretty clear to me know that it’s NOT the 1X and NOT the GNetik pads. It’s combination of the 2. 

Any idea if/when Bauer will release a 2X knee pad? 

I recently got VE8s with the attached knee guards but it seems like the pad would function a bit better with knee pads. I struggle to adjust to new gear, especially anything bulky, so I went with the standard Brian's knee pads. Tonight will be my first time trying them out.

The Bauer 2s knee pads seemed like the next best option for performance / minimalism. After checking out this thread, it seems like waiting on the 2X if/when it comes would be better, should I choose to switch from the Brian's for some reason.

2 hours ago, SuperSieve1 said:

Any idea if/when Bauer will release a 2X knee pad? 

I recently got VE8s with the attached knee guards but it seems like the pad would function a bit better with knee pads. I struggle to adjust to new gear, especially anything bulky, so I went with the standard Brian's knee pads. Tonight will be my first time trying them out.

The Bauer 2s knee pads seemed like the next best option for performance / minimalism. After checking out this thread, it seems like waiting on the 2X if/when it comes would be better, should I choose to switch from the Brian's for some reason.

No 2X coming. 1X is a carryover in the 2019 catalog.

Archived