New Team, Old Gear

MTH

The best part about this trade is that both goalies sport custom graphics that likely make pad wraps an impossibility 😃

When MTH revived this thread, I was thinking about how the "new team, old gear" phenomena is diminishing with the advent of wraps — teams/staff/goalies seem to feel it's worth doing more often than not, and equipment managers are insanely quick with that stuff. I know this trade just happened and that there was likely no time to cover their old colors, but I think these guys might be sporting their old colors for a few games...

I'd venture Brians' and Bauer have already started on their new gear. Hell, I'd imagine Nillson's new gear may have even been shipped by now, as they could have just cut the same graphic with Sens colors. McKenna, on the other hand, seems to really enjoy putting thought into his gear, getting cool custom graphics, etc. Since his current graphic is team-specific, Bauer wouldn't just make the same pad with new colors. I bet he'll want to do something cool with Vancouver, anyway — so we may see him in Ottawa gear for a little longer while his new setup is being designed. Then again, Bauer can just design the graphic on a computer and print it out, rather than cutting out leather swatches. I don't know, this stuff is fun to think about.

Anyone here have much insight into how companies turn out gear when a pro client is traded? @TheGoalNet?

The only insight I have is from when I had to return my recent pads to Vaughn for repairs.

I was on the phone with a rep there and I asked him how long it would take to have them back. He told me about a week, including shipping time.

I was then curious,  so I asked him how long it would take for a new set of gloves and pads if my name was Tuukka.  He said with specs on file already " about a day to measure and cut materials" and " another day for sewing and building and then overnight shipping."

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, stackem30 said:

The best part about this trade is that both goalies sport custom graphics that likely make pad wraps an impossibility 😃

When MTH revived this thread, I was thinking about how the "new team, old gear" phenomena is diminishing with the advent of wraps — teams/staff/goalies seem to feel it's worth doing more often than not, and equipment managers are insanely quick with that stuff. I know this trade just happened and that there was likely no time to cover their old colors, but I think these guys might be sporting their old colors for a few games...

I'd venture Brians' and Bauer have already started on their new gear. Hell, I'd imagine Nillson's new gear may have even been shipped by now, as they could have just cut the same graphic with Sens colors. McKenna, on the other hand, seems to really enjoy putting thought into his gear, getting cool custom graphics, etc. Since his current graphic is team-specific, Bauer wouldn't just make the same pad with new colors. I bet he'll want to do something cool with Vancouver, anyway — so we may see him in Ottawa gear for a little longer while his new setup is being designed. Then again, Bauer can just design the graphic on a computer and print it out, rather than cutting out leather swatches. I don't know, this stuff is fun to think about.

Anyone here have much insight into how companies turn out gear when a pro client is traded? @TheGoalNet?

@seagoal is probably pretty accurate for existing clients. High degree of confidence that Nilsson will have his same graphic in a new colorway.

McKenna is interesting because all the Bauer stuff is made off shore now. I would imagine it's at least a few weeks. We will have to watch this.

On 12/20/2018 at 6:16 PM, seagoal said:

Do you push your head forward like a turtle too?

It reminds me of when dudes try to show off their physique by leaning forward to crunch their abs in a standing sit-up, which looks so ridiculous.  It's terrible posture and not flattering at all.

i tend to yeah😂 so uncomfortable to be in that position tho, i only do that when trying to look thru screens and see low shots

and yeah it looks stupid

Another two Flyers vintage:

Frederic Chabot was traded to the Flyers 93-94 season:

040d2cafe469a26296eed08b8681b661.jpg

147438-9525490Fr.jpg

I think this is the only time a Flyers goalie wore D&R equipment. That's a D&R catch glove.

af5a2ac93dc8f15f274f16ec701fe0a3.png

Ordered a gem of a set from Brian's:

-Just gloves at first:

frederic-chabot-of-the-philadelphia-flye

Then pads:

chabot.jpg

Flyers traded for Stephane Beauregard from the Jets in 1992.

Beauregard%252C+Stephane.jpg

Krylon pads and new mitts:

1957ef7337ff4e61a01b5327548477f8_front.j

4926-536Bk.jpg

Then ordered up one of the SHARPEST Flyers gear sets ever:

d190b42834ce8c64e0e8d4822d3f5480.jpg

440a62e1629c18e6e9df109388214347.jpg

I think the Flyers tried to trade him in February 1993 with no luck... he was dealt at the end of the season.

0_0_3487_4010.jpg?cs=604800

Edited by MTH

Chabot played with the Kings before returning to the Habs:

261350.jpg

jan-1999-goallie-frederic-chabot-of-the-

jan-1999-frederic-chabot-of-the-montreal

Chabot came to the Kings by way of Houston:

sep-1997-goalie-frederic-chabot-of-the-l

He went to Houston after a stint with the Habs... dude got around:

gallery_medium.jpg

Houston even made a bobblehead that had his old gear. How great is this?

s-l300.jpg

Only $75 on ebay in the box.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-2008-Vintage-Houston-Aeros-AHL-Frederic-Chabot-SGA-Bobblehead-Mint-in-box-/264088173156?oid=253980717313

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Sad news, folks. Bauer's graphic designer, who just designed a *gorgeous* set of Vancouver gear for McKenna, just smashed his head into his computer monitor so hard that he died. 

Rest in peace.

Well it's not like they had to cut and sew anything.  I don't feel bad for them. They just manipulate a bunch of lines and hit Print ;)

• Haha 1