New Team, Old Gear

MTH

8 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

ah nice, thats cool. just dont say anything bad about him on twitter or you'll get blocked like every single devils fan

Personally, I found his Twitter persona insufferable... just Barstool-based bro humor to the max. "Ha ha, I love Chipotle! It's kinda my thing." Those emoji recaps he made after games were the worst*. Not a bad guy, but I was happy that New Jersey traded him, both in terms of his goaltending and in terms of his personal 'brand'.

*Believe it or not, I do like when players show off some personality and sense of humor — it's fun, and I think it will go a long way to making players (and the game) more marketable. Still, I had a little trouble wrapping my head around an adult pro athlete making cutesy emoji-recaps within minutes of every win... especially when Kinkaid and the Devils were losing handfuls of games in between said emoji recaps. They'd lose 5 straight, he'd be playing sub-par, and when they'd finally eek out a win against a bad team, the first thing he'd do when he got off the ice was type up some emoji-story? I know I sound like an old grump who's arguing that players need to Be Serious During Sports, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. But mostly, I just found him terribly unfunny. Oh well, better luck in Columbus.

1 hour ago, stackem30 said:

Personally, I found his Twitter persona insufferable... just Barstool-based bro humor to the max. "Ha ha, I love Chipotle! It's kinda my thing." Those emoji recaps he made after games were the worst*. Not a bad guy, but I was happy that New Jersey traded him, both in terms of his goaltending and in terms of his personal 'brand'.

*Believe it or not, I do like when players show off some personality and sense of humor — it's fun, and I think it will go a long way to making players (and the game) more marketable. Still, I had a little trouble wrapping my head around an adult pro athlete making cutesy emoji-recaps within minutes of every win... especially when Kinkaid and the Devils were losing handfuls of games in between said emoji recaps. They'd lose 5 straight, he'd be playing sub-par, and when they'd finally eek out a win against a bad team, the first thing he'd do when he got off the ice was type up some emoji-story? I know I sound like an old grump who's arguing that players need to Be Serious During Sports, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. But mostly, I just found him terribly unfunny. Oh well, better luck in Columbus.

I never really followed him, but my impression with his "the Price was right for the Devils" post back in November gave me the distinct impression that he was yet another petulant upstart with a data plan, and not much more.

Charges of "old grumpism" leveled at me shall be gracefully received and carefully considered while I watch my VHS cassettes of classic Adams Division showdowns.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Yeah, I’m glad we dont have to deal with his obnoxious tweets anymore. 

heard in one of his last games w/ the devils that he felt like the goals were bad bounces (basically saying it wasn’t his fault) and the coach disagreed with that. Forgot what exactly was said there though 

also, assuming you probably don’t use twitter, the pro-kinkaid + anti-schneider agenda, but it’s fading away now, a lot of those kinds of tweets came from puck bunnies who only root for the players and probably only liked kinkaid because he was oh so dreamy, and they were so convinced he was way better than Schneider

Edited by southpawtendy48

19 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

ah nice, thats cool. just dont say anything bad about him on twitter or you'll get blocked like every single devils fan

haha will do. I dont even use twitter, twitters setup gives me anxiety in itself

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/5/2019 at 2:28 PM, southpawtendy48 said:

Yeah, I’m glad we dont have to deal with his obnoxious tweets anymore. 

heard in one of his last games w/ the devils that he felt like the goals were bad bounces (basically saying it wasn’t his fault) and the coach disagreed with that. Forgot what exactly was said there though 

also, assuming you probably don’t use twitter, the pro-kinkaid + anti-schneider agenda, but it’s fading away now, a lot of those kinds of tweets came from puck bunnies who only root for the players and probably only liked kinkaid because he was oh so dreamy, and they were so convinced he was way better than Schneider

Now you devil fans just get to deal with Subban’s insufferable social media presence 

• 4 weeks later...

The goalies don't use gear that long anyway - so if they're traded, they just get a new set before they even land the plane.

I also was a little dude in the late 80s and early 90s who obsessed about NHL goalie gear... and I had space in my brain still open. So all this useless crap just got soaked up in there then.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...