Maltese 2.0??? Roughneck

cwarnar

22 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

It's a choice just like everything else in life, and which hockey equipment to use. I'm okay with the vapors covering me with my chesty.  I've taken shots close to the neck on my shoulders which were fine...unless something major happens I'm okay. 

I'm not putting down anyone for using it, the price is just absurd. Use it if needed.  Plus you got hit cuz of your teams stupidity not in game.  

Honestly, never take that chance, where “if something happens I’ll get so and so”, when more than likely the incident could end up completely ruining your hockey career. 

• 5 weeks later...

My son is "very happy" with his fully customized Maltese Reiter Spec neck guard, incl. and maybe particularly with "the cape" in the back.  He says it helps to hold up the weight in the front by tugging it into his C&A in the back.  Great thoughtful design.

As Phil doesn't reply to emails anymore and we need a new neck guard (the old one will be outgrown at some point)  I called Roughneck and subsequently now have engaged in getting a quote and possibly ordering a Roughneck from Guillaume.  I will keep you posted.

As to the cost:  We have tried many combinations of mask, dangler, C&A with neck guards to minimize the gap through which a puck, stick or blade could sneak and still maintaining full range of motion of the head. C&A, Mask and Maltese Neck guard are the solution - so far (no dangler).  One day a stray puck, a dragged stick, a trampling offense man may still find a way.  Let's hope that day may never come.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:33 PM, southpawtendy48 said:

Honestly, never take that chance, where “if something happens I’ll get so and so”, when more than likely the incident could end up completely ruining your hockey career. 

Agreed.  My Maltese collar was less than half the cost of a trip to the emergency room.  Like others, I quibbled over the cost at first, and debated putting the money into a new C/A that would ride a little higher.  After not finding anything I loved and catching a couple shots to the collar bone in the course of a 3 week period I pulled the trigger.  That was 2 years ago and I haven't had a bruise up high since.  I'm to the point where replacing my C/A is now pretty much mandatory, but I got an extra couple years out of it with the Maltese, which also offset the cost in my mind.   

I took one right off the throat a couple weeks ago. Probably would have been a hospital visit if it weren't for my Maltese. I'll definitely be going to Roughneck in the future (working with Chris P.) though I will miss the "cape" because I agree, I feel like it actually did something. 

23 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I took one right off the throat a couple weeks ago. Probably would have been a hospital visit if it weren't for my Maltese. I'll definitely be going to Roughneck in the future (working with Chris P.) though I will miss the "cape" because I agree, I feel like it actually did something. 

Not sure what you saw, but the cape/mullet/whatever you wanna call it is definitely present on mine.

It was eliminated on the ECO.

1 hour ago, marvelmike said:

Good to hear that a cape is there.  So far I saw only the photos on the roughneck web site and it is hard to tell if there is a cape or not.

I’m working on a side by side (by side) post comparing the Maltese, ECO, and RN units. 

On 12/21/2018 at 6:24 PM, Chenner29 said:

The biggest difference with the Roughneck product when compared to the old Maltese, new EcoFoam is the composition of internal padding.

The Maltese used a 1/8" HD gel backed by 1/4" SD gel.  I believe the Eco is the same.

The Roughneck will be using a layer of traditional HD foam over the SD EcoFoam gel.
These units also have two dips, one in front and one behind the neck for mobility.
The collar height on these can also be customized. 

The Eco units do have a custom print option, and basic colors should be actively stocked in sizes S-L. 
I have only seen Eco units come out in 2" collar heights with front dip.

Was this the most recent iteration of the Maltese?  I feel like mine is the same exact piece of gel on both sides.  Forgot when I got it, maybe 2011-12ish.  I know it was when they first started using the air gel that feels more like foam than gel.

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Was this the most recent iteration of the Maltese?  I feel like mine is the same exact piece of gel on both sides.  Forgot when I got it, maybe 2011-12ish.  I know it was when they first started using the air gel that feels more like foam than gel.

I wanna say the HD layer was added in 2016 or 2017. 

• 1 month later...

Side by side 12" Maltese and 13" Roughneck.

Both are fully customized option.  We got a bit more daring here on the Roughneck's design.  Kudos to Guillaume.  He did an outstanding job getting it produced.  Turnaround time for the order was quick, approx. 6 weeks, incl. vectorizing our design through a service provider to Roughneck and international shipment (EU).

Son is very happy with Roughneck as well.  All he said was: "Is great, looks cool!".  

In the breast piece both neck guards have a firm foam layer on top of a soft foam layer. That much is touchable without cutting them open.  Roughneck has slightly larger shoulder pieces. 

Both have The Cape!  I have not received negative feedback about the Roughneck's cape's seam itching or annoying in any way.

More important for us is the collar, though, as son plays without dangler.  The collar is one strip of foam on both.  The Roughneck has a few longitudinal cuts through the foam on the outside of the collar piece, probably to make it bend easier.  I am a bit concerned about breakage as cuts are the starting point of rips.  Also, in the cracks dirt may gather, which may become visible through the fabric.  We'll see.

Either way, the collar now at 13" going all around my son's neck paid off yesterday already when he was lying in the crease face down and his own defensemen stumbled blade on his neck in the back ...

If a two layer material will be implemented at some point in time, even at the expense of some bendability,  I would suggest an outer layer of D30 (https://www.d3o.com/) on top of a softer foam.

20190309_124031.thumb.jpg.30195dce7bdcc88f7cf43937161bbd92.jpg

Inside the breast piece color is black on the Roughneck.  A sensible choice when you see the color change on the Maltese after one year of use.

20190310_185230.thumb.jpg.7612b2d17ca7dcaa87cf3546afcf9908.jpg

Can you describe the Kova neck guard in more detail, please?  For how much do they sell?

Looking at their web site their neckguard looks rather conventional, maybe like a Batram, but I may be wrong.

1. A firm small shield on the front, as impact protection.  Something that is built into most C&As.
  2. Padded inside, somewhat bulky breast plate.  Is the padding gel or foam?
  3. Not going all around the neck, i.e. in the back only Velcro.
  4. No cape!

Again, I may be wrong.

8 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

I use a Kova. Just as protective and way cheaper

from what I can tell, there are two types of neckguards.  There's the Maltese/Eco/Roughneck version (gel, flexible) and then there's the Vaughn/Kova/PAW model, which is a little bulkier and less flexible.  I had a PAW (looked just like the Kova) and couldn't get used to it.  I had two Maltese and now have an EPF and a Roughneck, and I barely notice. 

Good thing there are lots of options for goalies, since everyone likes something different.

15 hours ago, marvelmike said:

Can you describe the Kova neck guard in more detail, please?  For how much do they sell?

Looking at their web site their neckguard looks rather conventional, maybe like a Batram, but I may be wrong.

1. A firm small shield on the front, as impact protection.  Something that is built into most C&As.
  2. Padded inside, somewhat bulky breast plate.  Is the padding gel or foam?
  3. Not going all around the neck, i.e. in the back only Velcro.
  4. No cape!

Again, I may be wrong.

Definitely a firm shield in front. There's plastic there for sure. Neck height and circumference is custom, as are colors and material. Doesn't wrap around the neck. Can also dictate size to a defree. Fairly flexible after a couple weeks of playing. 

Can also pick option of shock gel underneath. 

I'm not against Maltese but I didn't like how much it wraps around my neck, which sometimes bump into the backplate, and the price. At$200+ cdn, it's a bit much for what it really is. 

Kovas start at about 115 -155

Archived