Thoughts on Vaughn gear

Ollie

1 hour ago, Ollie said:

Hello,

Just wondering what people think of the glove break, and what type of goalie it is meant for, and the pads weight, slide ability, and what style goalie it is good for. (Vaughn V elite/8, or ventus)

They have lots of glove breaks. It’s actually very complicated to follow. Which model are you referring to?

Velocity serious will be more for people wanting soft pads

Ventus is for people who want stiffer. 

You can also get away with mixing and matching gloves, pads, like for example I use an LT98 glove and blocker which are considered butterfly style gloves but I have PVE pads which are basically velocity pads but with SLR strapping. Also I think unlike other brands if you wanted to go custom you can get one of their older ish models (mostly gloves) since there are so many that cater to different styles and preferences but still compete decently quality wise, compared to other companies where everyone wants the new thing. 

Can't comment on glove break as it's not something that I actually care about, but can say how they feel. Can talk about the pads though. I've used the LT88, V7XR, and V8's. All the pads slide very well but in order I would put it: V8/88/V7 (least to best). Think the V8's are not sliding well for me right now because of the strapping problem I'm having (keep falling on the edge of the pad, not the knee block).

Note: Sold the LT88 set. When hockey gets back into full swing, will find the guy I sold them to and weigh them. Will weigh my other sets later and post them all together. Actually, I'll weigh all 3 pieces (for science).

2nd Note: These are all my OWN opinion. Others will vary.

LT88: Pads were ok. Bit heavy (didn't notice it till I switched to V7's). Rebounds were so-so. Meaning they were about 1-5ft when coming off the pads. Really easy to control as well. The glove was horrible IMO. So many stingers that my hand would be numb in warm-ups. Blocker was good and felt great though.

V7XR: Love this set. Rebounds DIE on these things. Weight was so much better over the 88's. Have had a few stingers in the glove but it's super rare. Feels good though and seems like it's really big. It just swallows shots. The blocker is light and feels great as well.

V8: Still struggling with these pads. Rebounds come off hot, meaning they launch off the pad towards the blue line. Really took thought to get them under control. Even lighter feeling than the V7's. Not super crazy about the strapping but it's something I think will just take some getting used to, when I figure out how I'm comfortable with them. The glove is brick wall. I'll make a save and have to check the glove to see if it actually went in because I can't feel it. Seems smaller than the V7 though. Had to adjust my RVH because it doesn't seem to close up that glove area like the V7 did. The blocker is my favorite of the 3 sets. It just feels so good on my hand.

I wouldn’t say a certain type of goalie is meant for a certain brand or style of equipment.  It is way more complicated than that. So to keep it simple, I will say this, and of course this is just my opinion - If you like the equipment, and it feels good and fits right, then it’s meant for you. 

2 hours ago, Matt35 said:

I wouldn’t say a certain type of goalie is meant for a certain brand or style of equipment.  It is way more complicated than that. So to keep it simple, I will say this, and of course this is just my opinion - If you like the equipment, and it feels good and fits right, then it’s meant for you. 

I'd agree with this. 

There's really only two choices: stiff or soft pads. Most other choices are preferences that are minor and don't dictate or cater to a style .

Things that are relevant to think about:

-how big/tall are you?

-how flexible are you?

-narrow or wide butterfly?

-your age and physical ability

-what are you used to --> your success at whatever level you play 

I'm inclined to reject the idea that one brand is better for one style vs. another. 

Any one brand offers the same choices within the choices of their gear.  It's a matter of the little things (aesthetics, for example) that draw you to one brand vs another.

Although,  as mentioned above,  I've been a Vaughn user my whole life and have no idea what angle of break my gloves are,  nor do I care . I definitely know when a glove break is not for me, but as I Vaughn user it's not because I'm attached to a specific angle of break in my glove.

I just custom ordered a V6 2200 glove this year because it is the perfect glove for me.  I'm currently in VE8 pads and blocker and would happily answer any questions.

• 2 weeks later...

@Ollie

Did the gear I own, not sure if I'll see the people tomorrow to get weights from their gear, so here is this stuff. NO mods have been made to the gear, they are factory standard. As you'll see, the weight difference is not all that much. To be honest, unless your sensitive enough to spot the slightest difference in weight, then IMO would doubt that the differences would actually make a difference. Let alone sway your purchase choice.

(Weight is in pounds)

V7 Glove: 2.2

V8 Glove: 2.15

V7 Blocker: 1.97

V8 Blocker: 1.92

V7 Pads: 5.19 (single)

V8 Pads: 4.87

Archived