Professor strap/Boot strap contradiction

seagoal

Something I've been thinking about lately really hit me when browsing @TheGoalNet on Instagram and the recent post on Jones' new CCM pads.

Looks like he had them add an SLR "professor strap." I've always wondered if use of this strap contradicts a boot strap. On my new pads, I have my first professor strap that sits really snug around the anchor of my Warrior pro knee pads. My pads sit up much higher now which was awkward at first but now I love it. I've also installed my first bungee toe ties and have since ditched my boot strap, rendering it totally pointless. 

Taking a look at Jones, he still has a boot strap but it looks to be pointless whether standing or down on his knees.  

Doesn't using a professor and boot strap contradict one another?  If a professor strap is used properly,  isn't a boot strap pointless?

Screenshot_20181228-075742_Samsung Internet.jpg

20181228_075833.jpg

I was kind of wondering this myself. On my Vapors I was going across through the Lundy loop to make them sit higher but now my PVE's have the professor strap and it almost makes them sit too high. I put the boot strap to go through the bottom again to try pull them down a hair but I think it's fighting the professor strap more than anything so I'm going to try it without it. I didn't like the feeling of no boot strap with my Eflex 2s so we'll see how this goes.

Yeah, it just seems if both straps are used properly they sorta counteract each other. 

Also wanted to say, I realize goalies use what they use and we can elect to use all sorts of things....but sometimes we do use things excessively with no functional purpose (Holtby's leather calf straps, for example) and I'm thinking this is perhaps one of those situations.

@wox33 I actually ditched my boot strap unintentionally.  I had a puck crack the slider on mine and didn't realize until in the locker room at my next skate. I had flirted with doing it anyway,  so it was good timing. I noticed zero difference and that was all the evidence I needed.

I would say with modern strapping, yes.  I think the professor strap is more a feeling connected to your pads strap vs a fully functional rotational strap.

With my GT Pros I wear my knee sling wrap across the knee, snug.  Calf Wrap is snug as well, 2 straps and I feel very connected to my pads.  No boot strap and Pro Laces.  3 straps essentially, a professor strap would be overkill.  Which is interesting as Passau has made it stock on their next gen pad:

48429770_10155724610561400_2267457108372881408_n.thumb.jpg.ca4d6af6de26770d33d71633577eab14.jpg

20 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I would say with modern strapping, yes.  I think the professor strap is more a feeling connected to your pads strap vs a fully functional rotational strap.

With my GT Pros I wear my knee sling wrap across the knee, snug.  Calf Wrap is snug as well, 2 straps and I feel very connected to my pads.  No boot strap and Pro Laces.  3 straps essentially, a professor strap would be overkill.  Which is interesting as Passau has made it stock on their next gen pad:

48429770_10155724610561400_2267457108372881408_n.thumb.jpg.ca4d6af6de26770d33d71633577eab14.jpg

Agreed, that's definitely my experience with the professor strap. Seems like for such a long time the idea with all straps was "as loose as possible with no tension" to help with rotation, which began the train of thought of irrelevant straps, which is why we have fewer and fewer nowadays . 

It's like we took this photo and said: "let's talk about function and efficiency" (insert caveat: "...and winning Stanley Cups.") <--totally different conversation.

image.png.615f7136ac6bafaa5878e2ab3b989699.png

One of the marketing angles of the professor strap is feeling "connected" to the pad and that is certainly my experience.  But that "connection" is sitting pads up higher.  Given the point of a boot strap.....again, function and efficiency. 

P.S.  I love how the calf wrap on your pads is red.  Very nice touch on details.

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Agreed, that's definitely my experience with the professor strap. Seems like for such a long time the idea with all straps was "as loose as possible with no tension" to help with rotation, which began the train of thought of irrelevant straps, which is why we have fewer and fewer nowadays . 

It's like we took this photo and said: "let's talk about function and efficiency" (insert caveat: "...and winning Stanley Cups.") <--totally different conversation.

image.png.615f7136ac6bafaa5878e2ab3b989699.png

One of the marketing angles of the professor strap is feeling "connected" to the pad and that is certainly my experience.  But that "connection" is sitting pads up higher.  Given the point of a boot strap.....again, function and efficiency. 

P.S.  I love how the calf wrap on your pads is red.  Very nice touch on details.

@seagoal not my pads in that pic... but the new Passau pad is pretty slick looking

Bingo.  Prior to the elastic revolution pads felt "floppy" in order to achieve proper rotation.  The professor strap, which we all know originated on Ben Scrivens Vaughns:

IMG_6886-e1458753937967-486x1024.thumb.jpg.49814965431549b70633987c88278283.jpgIMG_6888-e1458754678811-1024x549.thumb.jpg.8bb16e5ef95c5228d9354f749363a55a.jpg

He had no knee or calf lock and his "strapping" was purely league mandated and kept his knee and calf wing from flopping around.

This strap is functional and makes sense on a pad like this.  Otherwise it serves no purpose

I have the professor strap on my PVE’s and I still use the boot strap through the bottom of my skate. I keep the professor strap a little loose so I find the boot strap helps keep the pad in place a bit more. The boot strap has the elastic section in the middle of it so  it does have some flex in it and I only feel the boot strap when I need it to keep the pad in place, and it doesn’t hinder pad rotation or anything. 

48 minutes ago, Matt35 said:

I have the professor strap on my PVE’s and I still use the boot strap through the bottom of my skate. I keep the professor strap a little loose so I find the boot strap helps keep the pad in place a bit more. The boot strap has the elastic section in the middle of it so  it does have some flex in it and I only feel the boot strap when I need it to keep the pad in place, and it doesn’t hinder pad rotation or anything. 

Is it loose enough to where it doesn't make the pad sit up high on your calf like Jones in the pic?  That would bring more relevance to a boot strap , for sure.

23 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Is it loose enough to where it doesn't make the pad sit up high on your calf like Jones in the pic?  That would bring more relevance to a boot strap , for sure.

Yes. It is loose enough that the pad doesn’t sit up that high. 

I wore a set of Premier R1.9 pads last year for 3 games and found that the boot angle made the pad sit much higher and off of the lower leg and ankle. I had no feel of the pad from my knee to my foot and really didn’t like them. 

Archived