Retail mark up for goalie equipment?

Lucky Pucker

I know there's a few who work/have worked in brick-and-mortar hockey stores, and I hope you won't be offended by me asking - but what is the approximate mark-up on goalie equipment these days? I've been looking online, and seen some say 40% (seems unlikely), some say 25%, others say virtually nothing - but all of this is from a few years back too.

The reason I'm asking is that I intend to buy a blocker trapper set from my LHS. The ad said -20%, but having dealt with the owner many times - including buying my pads at 50% off - I think I can do better. However, I don't want to hurt the guy either, or completely insult him. With the -20%, his price is no better than Pro Hockey Life... but I really want to buy from him; he's a good guy, and I like his store and his employees.

The set I have my eye on is Brian's Gnetik-8 2017 model, of which he has 3 identical sets that have been sitting there since at least early 2018 when I started going. I also want to leverage the fact that we are now 4 skaters at my house (and between my son's practices and my own games, I'm on the ice4-5 times a week - and I like my skates sharp!) and I buy sharpening cards for his store exclusively. From my brief research, it seems that sharpening is one of the places where the store actually makes a bit of money.

Any insights appreciated. If he can't come down any lower than the 20%, I'll maybe wait some more.

I wanna say it was about 30-40% when I was working retail back in the mid 2000s.  This was on pro level gear, and to be quite honest I never looked at pricing for senior level and below (mentioning this because you are looking at Genetik 8s).

Volume discount may come into play here as it sounds like you are working with a smaller retail shop and not a big box store.  Pro Hockey Life is probably getting a better discount from Brian’s because they are stocking more. 

12 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I know there's a few who work/have worked in brick-and-mortar hockey stores, and I hope you won't be offended by me asking - but what is the approximate mark-up on goalie equipment these days? I've been looking online, and seen some say 40% (seems unlikely), some say 25%, others say virtually nothing - but all of this is from a few years back too.

The reason I'm asking is that I intend to buy a blocker trapper set from my LHS. The ad said -20%, but having dealt with the owner many times - including buying my pads at 50% off - I think I can do better. However, I don't want to hurt the guy either, or completely insult him. With the -20%, his price is no better than Pro Hockey Life... but I really want to buy from him; he's a good guy, and I like his store and his employees.

The set I have my eye on is Brian's Gnetik-8 2017 model, of which he has 3 identical sets that have been sitting there since at least early 2018 when I started going. I also want to leverage the fact that we are now 4 skaters at my house (and between my son's practices and my own games, I'm on the ice4-5 times a week - and I like my skates sharp!) and I buy sharpening cards for his store exclusively. From my brief research, it seems that sharpening is one of the places where the store actually makes a bit of money.

Any insights appreciated. If he can't come down any lower than the 20%, I'll maybe wait some more.

And this is why the little guy will struggle to keep the doors open. I hope it works out for you.

I don't know what the margin is, but I do know that the little guy has bills to pay just like you. Rent, utilities, insurance, etc... not to mention the overhead that is retail. Yes they are out of date pads and selling them is better than not but still, if you like the little guys, don't be a cheap *****

Sorry for the rant, hit's close to home.

20-30% for margin is pretty normal for sporting goods to a small B&M. If your a big guy you might be able to get 35-40%. 

pad retails at $1700 cost of the pad to retailer $1200 = 29% margin.

dont forget to add shipping the pad from manufacturer to retailer. so knock off a few points on that margin. 

Just to update this thread, I went to see my guy, asked him about doing any better on the -20% promotion. He chuckled, knowing the set I was after since roughly September, and said "let me see what I can do."

His first counter-offer was great - and hopefully comfortable enough for him - so I gladly accepted!

Haven't had a chance to snap pics, but I'm using them today. Can't wait!

If anyone is in the Ottawa/Gatineau area, you can DM about the store. I would highly recommend them for service (including goalie skate sharpening) inventory/selection, ordering and competitive pricing. Great young staff, too - most (all?) of which are themselves competitive-league goalies (ah! To be young again! LOL!)

• 1 month later...
On 1/1/2019 at 8:11 AM, pipes said:

20-30% for margin is pretty normal for sporting goods to a small B&M. If your a big guy you might be able to get 35-40%. 

pad retails at $1700 cost of the pad to retailer $1200 = 29% margin.

dont forget to add shipping the pad from manufacturer to retailer. so knock off a few points on that margin. 

This is quite true. -50% prices are bad business but they get some space for new products. 

Archived