problems with the warrior g4s

CalumChisholm

I have been wearing the warrior g4 pad int 32+1 for about 4 months now play 4-5 games/practices (single A) with warrior ritual x knee pads but unfortunately the knee area of the pad has started to fray and the foams also have been starting to fray. On my pervious pad brains sub-zero I didn't have this problem. This problem is extremely annoying because the fabrics of the pad tangle and Velcro on my knee guards and become a strong nuisance in games I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem.IMG_0440.thumb.JPG.1084b22d7e1176b2d5e73bffa236c928.JPGIMG_0439.thumb.JPG.858adeb0dbe6377fb9c585017df42967.JPGIMG_0445.thumb.JPG.91f9314b6befd9a96be2280f9a202be7.JPG IMG_0444.thumb.JPG.39e7a5eb66892f8b5a5a4049472df3a3.JPG

Wow thanks for the feedback. As many people have said I think the problem arose because of my knee pad Velcro's rubbing the knee area of the pad since I like my knee pads very tight. Unfortunately I don't think this is covered by the warranty because it was mostly my fault (yikes). I wasn't expecting to have this problem and didn't really know what I was doing wrong. I have cut off most of the excess nylon and hope to put some duck tape on the knee area preventing this from further happening. The G4s are a great pad besides the minor (mostly my fault) problem.  

IMG_0441.JPG

It’s because of the knee pad straps rubbing,  I wear mine under a pair of under armor compression pads and my knee area shows zero wear, as @DL42 said.

another goalie dad I know had a similar issue with his sons pads. 

Contact your retailer or Warrior customer service 

I would imagine this would had to have taken some time to develop?  Kinda like bringing it in to the dealer after a rod already went through the hood when the knock started 3 months ago?  I've had that wear and tear in several spots on many pieces of equipment but always added a tape or velcro to help reduce the friction before it would ever get to this.  Not trying to be accusational here, just amazed at the damage.

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

It’s because of the knee pad straps rubbing,  I wear mine under a pair of under armor compression pads and my knee area shows zero wear, as @DL42 said.

another goalie dad I know had a similar issue with his sons pads. 

Contact your retailer or Warrior customer service 

I’ve had this issues with my Brian’s knee pads on Optik & P2... but not to this extent. It is definitely from the knee pad Velcro. 

@Kirk3190 Should he contact the retailer or Warrior? 

As others have mentioned, this is from the Velcro of an exposed knee pad rubbing and catching on the nylon. 

I would liken it to trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, breaking the round piece and trying to return it.

I’m not certain a retailer or manufacturer would cover that under warranty and in my opinion, they shouldn’t be liable as it is not a defect. 

You can cover up that wear area with adhesive backed nylon. If you are in the US order from here: https://wrapmypads.com/product/nylon/ in Canada order from here: http://www.padskinz.ca/product-category/pantskinz/ - Then Cover your knee pads as other mentioned with hockey socks or compression pants. The exposed portion of tooth side velcro is the culprit rubbing and ripping the nylon.  

5 hours ago, CalumChisholm said:

I have been wearing the warrior g4 pad int 32+1 for about 4 months now play 4-5 games/practices (single A) with warrior ritual x knee pads but unfortunately the knee area of the pad has started to fray and the foams also have been starting to fray. On my pervious pad brains sub-zero I didn't have this problem. This problem is extremely annoying because the fabrics of the pad tangle and Velcro on my knee guards and become a strong nuisance in games I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem.IMG_0440.thumb.JPG.1084b22d7e1176b2d5e73bffa236c928.JPGIMG_0439.thumb.JPG.858adeb0dbe6377fb9c585017df42967.JPGIMG_0441.thumb.JPG.86088e2a13561556d4367b2bff20f0fb.JPG 

It’s the intermediate stuff. It’s not made the same way as the senior stuff for warrior. I had this EXACT same problem on my G2’s

Looks like something abrasive rubbed over time & created this damage.

I been using G4 pads for 6 months 4 times a week & I have not even a scratch in this area.

I used the knee pads that came with the set as well. 

I can't see this a warranty.

As soon as This damage was developing ,the situation should had been addressed so no further damage would continued.

Maybe a player sock could have been worn over the knee pads or whatever did this damage.

I didn't fray by itself in self destruct mode.

On 1/1/2019 at 7:48 PM, Robert Brunet said:

Looks like something abrasive rubbed over time & created this damage.

I been using G4 pads for 6 months 4 times a week & I have not even a scratch in this area.

I used the knee pads that came with the set as well. 

I can't see this a warranty.

As soon as This damage was developing ,the situation should had been addressed so no further damage would continued.

Maybe a player sock could have been worn over the knee pads or whatever did this damage.

I didn't fray by itself in self destruct mode.

I have seen couple of these. I think it is kind of user fault. Everybody should look their gear once a week if there is some wear or tear spots.

On 1/1/2019 at 12:12 AM, Awgoalie164 said:

It’s the intermediate stuff. It’s not made the same way as the senior stuff for warrior. I had this EXACT same problem on my G2’s

Not true, since G3 all Youth, Junior, Intermediate, Senior & Pro have had the same external materials.

On 12/31/2018 at 10:08 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I’ve had this issues with my Brian’s knee pads on Optik & P2... but not to this extent. It is definitely from the knee pad Velcro. 

@Kirk3190 Should he contact the retailer or Warrior? 

@CalumChisholm Contact our customer service department and ask for Jeffrey Hammond.  I will talk with him in the meantime. 

• 10 months later...

I have had the same issue just happen - and Warrior says no dice. I bought the pads in March - and have played maybe 40 games in them. I got the full setup after taking 10 years off - catch, blocker, chestie, leg pads, pants, knee pads. Played in a lower C league over the summer - 15 games and have been playing twice a week since September.

xqAnidQbLPkPW2Cu4-OvY0ifvV_cRJPBlKBqdK48

The chest protector is more recent - like in August or so - and it's already fraying around the collar.

AoZEk8nELDU6PpO1V_XRcoEq2swC5-nU8WVWduN0

As a goalie, I disagree.  Have to be smart with all your equipment and how it all interacts together.  My Vaughn pants, Warrior pads and knee pads, Simmons c/a..all interact seamlessly.  They would not without some modification.  Can't build everything perfect for everyone or there'd be no stock, only custom.  Find out was is causing the wear and tear...things don't break themselves.  If you are experiencing wear, then you're doing something wrong most likely.  Any exposed Velcro or foams rubbing against something else?  Your mask could be cause wear to a c/a.  Is it the mfg. fault if you don't have a neck?

I do check my equipment and how it all fits together. The knee area happened recently  - and this is what it looks like.  Now I gotta get some sweet duct tape.  My mask doesn't hit the back part of my collar, but i do appreciate the no neck comment.

7 hours ago, netminder said:

Shouldn't have to modify anything

That is an absolutely absurd stance to take.  I modify my game all the time and sometimes the equipment has to change to accommodate those changes.   Sometimes you even make changed BEFORE they're needed like I'm about to.   Thanks for posting this OP.  I've got very minor wear on my knee cradle area and I will immediately switch to wearing something over my kneepads to prevent the wear from getting worse.

On 11/26/2019 at 12:59 AM, SHDM_DT said:

I do check my equipment and how it all fits together. The knee area happened recently  - and this is what it looks like.  Now I gotta get some sweet duct tape.  My mask doesn't hit the back part of my collar, but i do appreciate the no neck comment.

The no neck comment wasn't a suggestion that you have no neck.  I don't know what you look like.  It was an example for netminder that I can use from personal experience.  I'm 5'6" and have had trouble with equipment rubbing in that area: when I got a new c/a, got a neck guard, and most recently, refoamed my mask.  All things I have had or have to troubleshoot.  Was not an attack on you, just pointing out the obvious to the oblivious that nothing stock in goalie equipment, unless truly custom, is a direct guaranteed fit.  Your wear still looks like more than a few skates worth of damage.   Take a lighter and melt all those frayed ends down before taping over to give the tape better adhesion to the pad.

On 11/25/2019 at 11:34 PM, netminder said:

Shouldn't have to modify anything

It is very frustrating when expensive goalie gear wears! It is even more frustrating that you then have to spend money to mod or repair it! 

The only way to get gear that fits perfectly without rubbing together is 100% custom. 

I understand where you’re coming from in theory; in practise, you can’t operate like that unless you are totally average in every single way in how you fit into gear. I have shorter than average thighs for my height, for example with super-long shins for my height. There is only one pair of stock breezers that fit with few mods. If I want a pair of breezers that fit my weird anatomy, I have to mod the hell out of the inseam.

My chest protector is one of my most modded pieces ever. Small arms, medium body. I removed all elastics. I sewed my rib flaps to the straps. I sewed down the adjustments for the shoulders. I installed smaller shoulder floaters, as I could not move my head without catching my mask. I could have probably spec’d an even shorter chin.

“no neck” I took as merely descriptive, as@dreadlocked1 was making an observation, not a personal attack. I probably would have said the same thing. I have plenty of neck when not wearing goalie gear, but am a no neck when wearing goalie gear. I shaved the neck spoiler on my chesty, but wear a close-fitting neck guard.

It’s your choice whether or not you mod your gear, but sometimes you can make your goalie experience easier and your gear last longer if you do a few mods when you see wear points. 

I dunno, if i saw the start of that then id of gone out of my way to find out the cause, thats something rubbing it, like sharp velcro. i use socks over my knee pads and there silky smooth and help rotation too.

worst case have someone like paw make a small rectangle piece with a bit of foam in, some eyelets on the edge and tie it in over the damage,

Archived