Lundquist and NYR

Fullright

28 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I'm ambivalent.  Huge Rangers fan and huge Hank fan.  It would be best for him to leave, maybe go to Montreal and have a go at it, but I don't want to see him leave.  

id send him to maybe tampa or a team that is pretty likely to win a   cup this year or the next 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I'm ambivalent.  Huge Rangers fan and huge Hank fan.  It would be best for him to leave, maybe go to Montreal and have a go at it, but I don't want to see him leave.  

How do you figure Montréal's a potential landing spot for him?

I know there are always murmuring among fans that Montreal might want to get out of the contract they awarded Price, but I still think the general consensus is that the Habs go as far as Price goes. And while Price may not be the top of the goalie world the way he was a few seasons ago, I'd still take him over Lundqvist — especially considering he's five years younger than Lundqvist.

And why would Lundqvist want to go to Montréal, of all teams? I would think that if he wants a Cup so badly he'd be willing to leave New York, he'd want to go to a team that's much closer to a "sure thing" than Montréal. The Habs seem to be shaping up, but I don't think they're close to a Cup run... and I don't think they'd be any closer with Lundqvist in net instead of Price. 

Not trying to shoot down your post or anything, I'd just never heard that suggestion, and it doesn't add up for me... but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

And @Max27, why on earth would Tampa want to downgrade from Vasilevsky to Hank?

1 minute ago, stackem30 said:

How do you figure Montréal's a potential landing spot for him?

I know there are always murmuring among fans that Montreal might want to get out of the contract they awarded Price, but I still think the general consensus is that the Habs go as far as Price goes. And while Price may not be the top of the goalie world the way he was a few seasons ago, I'd still take him over Lundqvist — especially considering he's five years younger than Lundqvist.

And why would Lundqvist want to go to Montréal, of all teams? I would think that if he wants a Cup so badly he'd be willing to leave New York, he'd want to go to a team that's much closer to a "sure thing" than Montréal. The Habs seem to be shaping up, but I don't think they're close to a Cup run... and I don't think they'd be any closer with Lundqvist in net instead of Price. 

Not trying to shoot down your post or anything, I'd just never heard that suggestion, and it doesn't add up for me... but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

And @Max27, why on earth would Tampa want to downgrade from Vasilevsky to Hank?

not trade vasy for hank keep hank as a backup to him or something like that lmao theyd be dumb asf to trade vasy 

2 minutes ago, Max27 said:

not trade vasy for hank keep hank as a backup to him or something like that lmao theyd be dumb asf to trade vasy 

Yeah, but I don't think a goalie of Hank's pedigree wants to win a Cup as a backup, or even a 1B. He's a front-runner horse, my man. I mean, if he somehow stayed in the league till he was 40+, I'd think there might be a shot he'd join a team as a backup just to get his name on the Cup. At 36? I don't think he'd consider it.

Edit: Hank's also signed for $7M next year, and $5.5 the year after that. Good luck asking a powerhouse, Cup-contending team (most of whom are close enough to the cap ceiling) to take on that contract for a backup.

13 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Yeah, but I don't think a goalie of Hank's pedigree wants to win a Cup as a backup, or even a 1B. He's a front-runner horse, my man. I mean, if he somehow stayed in the league till he was 40+, I'd think there might be a shot he'd join a team as a backup just to get his name on the Cup. At 36? I don't think he'd consider it.

Edit: Hank's also signed for $7M next year, and $5.5 the year after that. Good luck asking a powerhouse, Cup-contending team (most of whom are close enough to the cap ceiling) to take on that contract for a backup.

yea i doubt tampa would take him either, just used them as an example bc theyre a powerhouse 

I think Hank would only go to top tier markets if he was to ever leave NYR. He wouldn't get the same opportunities in the fashion/entertainment world that he has currently in any other city except a handful. I could see Chicago or maybe Vancouver in another year or 2 possibly working..?

If it would be anywhere (which it won't), I'd trade Hank to San Jose. That's a big upgrade for a team that seems to be all-in for a cup, yet is struggling in net. Or maybe even Colorado, but that's a one-line team and they don't have much to harvest in return. Not sure how they'd handle all that cap though. Get a a few fistfuls of prospects and picks, which is what the Rangers need to fully rebuild.

I think he's "stuck" with the NYR. I cant see him taking low dollars and like has been mentioned above, any team in the running for the Cup is at or near the cap. I don't think he's close to being done - he's been banged up some but no significant joint injuries - but like Moose says, there's that 20-21 issue on the horizon. In so many ways, he reminds me of Tony Esposito during the back half of his career. He's the best player on the team and getting the crap knocked out him with no good option on where to go. 

1 hour ago, Moose75 said:

It's 2-0 Avs with shots 27-7 in Avs' favor in the 2nd. Someone send Lundqvist help, please.

PS: did you know Lundqvist has his skates sharpened twice a year at 1/4th hollow, and the inside edge is intentionally higher than the outside?

lundqvist didn't play tonight, 47-25 shot totals...not good

1 hour ago, Moose75 said:

did you know Lundqvist has his skates sharpened twice a year at 1/4th hollow, and the inside edge is intentionally higher than the outside?

thats actually pretty interesting, didnt know that. Do yk the reasoning?

15 hours ago, old but slow said:

lundqvist didn't play tonight, 47-25 shot totals...not good

Poor nameless back up goalie. That team is a hot mess.

15 hours ago, Max27 said:

thats actually pretty interesting, didnt know that. Do yk the reasoning?

Heard it's what he was used to from Sweden. Belfour did something similar.

14 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Does that push Seattle’s start back another year?

According to news, Seattle begins in 2021-2022. Perfect way to make up lost revenue. 

On 1/4/2019 at 10:04 AM, Moose75 said:

All of these guys are/were some of my favorite goalies I've ever had the pleasure to watch. Throw Hasek in there too. Hasek's Nagano '98 run was the reason 8-year old me entertained the idea of trying goalie (albeit roller hockey) in the first place. Prior to that I just collected hockey cards and watched the Rangers with my dad.

Hasek has a cup.

3 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

LOL - well, it was only rumoured  to be glass at the time I posted that. His old problem came back to haunt him last night though; doesn't score enough goals!

I think he has paid his dues where All Star Weekends are concerned, and can get a pass; as per the last line of that article: " Price participated in the all-star game in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2017."

Just now, Lucky Pucker said:

LOL - well, it was only rumoured  to be glass at the time I posted that. His old problem came back to haunt him last night though; doesn't score enough goals!

I think he has paid his dues where All Star Weekends are concerned, and can get a pass; as per the last line of that article: " Price participated in the all-star game in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015 and 2017."

Truth.  I wasn't dinging him, I don't care if veterans take a healthcare time out.  Just pointing out that he is oft injured and not worth the contract.

15 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

Truth.  I wasn't dinging him, I don't care if veterans take a healthcare time out.  Just pointing out that he is oft injured and not worth the contract.

Yeah, that's fair. Only maybe worth it if they win the cup... but that window is closing (closed?)

I saw people floating the idea that players who have attended 5 ASGs should have the option to sit them out without any suspension or penalty, and I think that's fair. Most younger players have the stamina and health where it's not too unfair to ask them to do this — plus they're young, and I think they do have something of an obligation to represent their team and do something for the league. But if a player's older and has already been to 5 ASGs, and they'd rather nurse an injury or stay home with their family, what's the merit in forcing them to go after so many years? It's fair that they can earn the chance to stay at home without repercussions. 

It's not a perfect fix, but it would eliminate so many of the circumstances where big names have sat out and been penalized (Ovie, Price, etc).

Archived