Broken Collarbone

Beezer201

9 hours ago, DL42 said:

Pros don't use BROWN anymore is because they get new c/a every year the durability is not there anymore, its all about lightweight protection and not durability.

Just like Pants, they get new ones every years.  Back in the days they use the same one forever and then they start stitching up additional protection or modifying it to meet their needs.

BROWN doesnt breakdown b/c they use plastic in the blocks not HD foams which once dented it is not good.  

Myself having a BROWN for over 13+ years had no major injuries, but any c/a u r going to get hurt somewhere, even the pros are bruised, even with the best c/a on the market.

This is not fully true. Pros absolutely have the option to get new C&As as they need em, but many guys keep a C&A for a couple seasons. Due to the rule changes, this is the first year that everyone had to upgrade. I think Holtby was on year 3 or 4 of his last P1 before the rule change.

Is it the same as buying a unit for yourself to keep for 5 years? No it's not, please don't think I am arguing that. But thinking a Vaughn or CCM unit won't hold up for a few seasons is a short sighted view.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading the headlines and scrolling through the comments, I am surprised this didn't include legal action against Brown (it sure reads like it could!).

This just in...hockey is dangerous!

(Wore a Brown 553 with the collar removed for ~10 years. Other than a soft spot in the elbow crease area and the occasional rising shot on the outside of the shoulder, towards the sides, I didn't really have any issue. I mostly wore a dangler. Chanced it without and took a few off the collarbone...Brown has one of the largest head openings on the chesty, resulting in a lower neckline especially with the built in removed). I switched to Ventus LT98 just like Bob and have had no issue at all anywhere.

This debate makes me wonder, aside from Brown does any other manufacturer offer an integrated neck guard? I’m not talking about a lip in the front. I mean the full neck wraparound that’s connected to the chest and arm. Perhaps it’s time for Brown to retire this feature and recommend their separate neck guard that does have adequate protection. Many pros don’t even use a neck guard and they just chance it, which to me is crazy. I think Lundqvist has a separate neck protector possibly Vaughn. 

1 hour ago, Taco said:

After reading the headlines and scrolling through the comments, I am surprised this didn't include legal action against Brown (it sure reads like it could!).

(Wore a Brown 553 with the collar removed for ~10 years. Other than a soft spot in the elbow crease area and the occasional rising shot on the outside of the shoulder, towards the sides, I didn't really have any issue. I mostly wore a dangler. Chanced it without and took a few off the collarbone...Brown has one of the largest head openings on the chesty, resulting in a lower neckline especially with the built in removed). I switched to Ventus LT98 just like Bob and have had no issue at all anywhere.

I don't believe this could result in legal action.  I'm a lawyer but not dispensing legal advice here to be clear.  but someone got injured playing ice hockey.  It happens.  I've gotten hit on the collar bone in several different chesties and if I had been facing a better caliber of shooter it could have been a problem.  Oh, and that was while wearing a Maltese as well.  Shit happens.  

I'm not a Brown fanboy although I'm in one now (I am a Passau fanboy.)  And I don't know about the built in collar and whether it's intended to protect the clavicle or just the throat.  But hockey is a very risky sport and people get injured.  However, the idea that a retail Vaughn is more protective than a Brown chesty is laughable.  

1 hour ago, Taco said:

My personal take away is that Brown are school tanks. I have always thought that. However, it seems there may be an awkward gap for people purchase the integrated collar. As it's an odd spot to get hit, people my not really notice it.

By cutting out the collar, wearing a padded shirt underneath, or tweaking the floaters position, this gap might be avoidable.

9 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I don't believe this could result in legal action.  I'm a lawyer but not dispensing legal advice here to be clear.  but someone got injured playing ice hockey.  It happens.  I've gotten hit on the collar bone in several different chesties and if I had been facing a better caliber of shooter it could have been a problem.  Oh, and that was while wearing a Maltese as well.  Shit happens. 

He's being facetious. :P

9 hours ago, Beezer201 said:

......An NHL goalie will not sacrifice their health for weight. An NHL organization will not allow their goalie to sacrifice a few grams for protection.....

That was not the point, the point was they get new c/a unit maybe twice a year b/c they breakdown so fast and easily and are lighter then the past.

Just like most composite goalie stick its about performance  vs durability.

Indeed, i was! 🤣

Browns are indeed tanks. In the one that I owned, the attached neck protector had to go, it was uncomfortable and hot. Otherwise, the padding withstood bombs the whole time I used (didn't even have a heart guard).

Out of all the Vaughns out the box, I'd roll with the Ventus - it has removable cushions and more robust padding. Out of the box, the Velocity is lighter and you will feel more in it. If I had to put one against the other for longevity and use, the Brown would likely win.

Seems like many pros wear a collar of the barely there variety, the one layer Vaughn style. See Carey Price, Lu, Subban, etc. I've always been of the mindset that if you want to protect against straight on shots, the dangler is what you want. If you want to protect against cuts, you'll want the collar. Some collars can handle straight on shots better than others (the gel foam style).

52 minutes ago, DL42 said:

That was not the point, the point was they get new c/a unit maybe twice a year b/c they breakdown so fast and easily and are lighter then the past.

Just like most composite goalie stick its about performance  vs durability.

Some goalies yes, some goalies no.

But that argument could be made about gloves, pads, skates, etc etc.

Most pro guys get 3-4 sets of pads a season. If they only go through 2 C&As, don't mean that even a modern C&A is about the most durable piece of equipment in your bag?

Under the rationale that "they don't make em like they used to", shouldn't people be freaked out to buy pads made of Jenpro with foam cores because they don't hold up as well as leather pads with deer hair stuffed in them?

This probably would have saved you.  I have been wearing it for 30 years, currently under an old JB553 c/a.  Very light and I don't even notice it's there.  Have taken some bombs off it, and it has done it's job, living up to it's name as a Clavicle Protector. 

Clav.jpg

I've never worn a Brown, but I do wear a Passau Pro Pack.  I've never once considered not wearing a combo under it.  Maybe its just been my experience over the years, but the clavicle area is where I always felt shots the most, no matter the chesty.  I just always assumed it was only a matter of time before I got dinged there, so I took the extra precaution.

At the same time, shit happens, pucks always seem to find soft spots.  

I fractured the base of my pinky finger over the summer in a Varlamov Eflex 3 pro return glove with a D3O practice palm.  Just a wrister in tight, but the edge of the puck just happened to hit square in the break of the palm.  Top level gear with new materials and the puck still found an unprotected spot.  

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Most pro guys get 3-4 sets of pads a season. If they only go through 2 C&As, don't mean that even a modern C&A is about the most durable piece of equipment in your bag?

IMO:

Pads and gloves have an almost mechanical component about them. When a pad takes on too much water, or the boot/thigh breaks become too soft, they will get changed out. Same with gloves, with the added issue of cracked internal plastics (loss of protection) or finger curl (loss of coverage).  There’s a certain amount of consistency and flex that players want wirh these pieces and once it becomes more than they want or are accustomed to, it’s done. 

On the other hand, a chest and arm is much more in tune with the athlete and generally will not get changed out until protection is compromised. It’s much more a “feel and comfort” piece than gloves and pads. Even then, with chest pads, it’s a gradual loss of protection over time (as foams become compacted through repeated use) which is harder to notice. 

41 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

IMO:

Pads and gloves have an almost mechanical component about them. When a pad takes on too much water, or the boot/thigh breaks become too soft, they will get changed out. Same with gloves, with the added issue of cracked internal plastics (loss of protection) or finger curl (loss of coverage).  There’s a certain amount of consistency and flex that players want wirh these pieces and once it becomes more than they want or are accustomed to, it’s done. 

On the other hand, a chest and arm is much more in tune with the athlete and generally will not get changed out until protection is compromised. It’s much more a “feel and comfort” piece than gloves and pads. Even then, with chest pads, it’s a gradual loss of protection over time (as foams become compacted through repeated use) which is harder to notice. 

I was being facetious... I think counting how many times a pro changes gear is NOT a good metric of a product's durability or life span for the average goalie.

10 hours ago, RichMan said:

I disagree wholeheartedly. Brown chest pads have progressed and followed the trend. They may not be in the show anymore, This guy pictured below, (sorry, his name escapes me at the moment) was probably the last to wear one, if he doesn't still. Brown chest pads are still prevalent in European pro leagues. Surely you've heard of the "Russian spec" model. Latest news was that John and his team were working on a new NHL spec model for those in prospect or trend followers.

You are upset, with reason, but for or towards the wrong reason.

image.png.87aacdeccdd8cb33fc27c2d64ac28904.png

this is Bobrovsky right?

13 hours ago, Taco said:

Love it. What’s even crazier is the original...he’s wearing a clone in that pic. Original looks like it’s being held together with duct tape and super glue. 

Sorry to hijack the thread, but Brodeur's chest pad history is pretty cool / funny.

I believe the cloned chest pad @RichMan posted is the last C/A that Marty ran into the ground and continued to use long past its life expectancy before he finally modernized.

My timeline could be off, but I believe Brodeur originally had a Vaughn VP2000 chest pad. Heaton may have cloned it around 2000 to make the one below — hence the Helite 6 hologram-logo. But it's possible (likely, even?) that it is actually the original Vaughn VP2000, just with added Heaton floaters/neck (along with tons of other additions). I really don't know enough about old Vaughn and Heaton chest pads to ascertain, but it's entirely possible that Heaton just added that stuff for branding purposes. Either way, it's a piece of work!

image.png.d73cc0bce07aa8e20476c5b32ccd48b8.png

The crisp white one @RichMan posted came around 2005. It has some Helite Z branding if you look closely (that line was out around then) and the Devils jersey has the JM patch for Dr. John McMullen, which they wore in the 2005-2006 season.

image.png.fffffa537cd2e7a462767b6abda29594.png

image.png.7d0afe3ecfa19e1f2c810bc61aad5cb3.png

Anyway, Marty wore that Helite Z clone for until he started catching some stingers late in his career and acquired Pekka Rinne's old P1 chest pad. I'm not sure if he kept that one and just had the MB30 logo added, or if Reebok just gave him a P1 of his own after he'd decided that's what he wanted to go with.

image.png.2b482044abb78220cb20a15d89036ff3.png

Anyway, hockey is an unpredictable and dangerous game — you can wear lesser equipment and never once get injured (I myself am very lucky to have never had a collarbone issue tbh, my Koho chest pad is ancient and sags badly, and my Brown neck guard only covers so much), and you can wear top-shelf gear and just catch an unfortunate seeing-eye shot. Not to dismiss anyone's pain or experience, but I don't think you can really look right to the gear. It's a pretty useless platitude, but... shit happens. 

Not to minimize the quality of the shot, but you stated twice it wasn't that hard a shot. A lot of people wear low quality CAs and haven't had this issue, so considering that popular opinion is that JBs are typically tanks, with all due respect and absolutely no sarcasm, you may seriously want to get your bone density checked.

On 1/8/2019 at 3:46 PM, Colander said:

Not to minimize the quality of the shot, but you stated twice it wasn't that hard a shot. A lot of people wear low quality CAs and haven't had this issue, so considering that popular opinion is that JBs are typically tanks, with all due respect and absolutely no sarcasm, you may seriously want to get your bone density checked.

My bone density is fine bud, the level of Brown fan boys on here is unreal. Guys will walk around with pulmonary embolisms thanks to their Brown chesties and they’ll blame themselves for getting black and blues easily. “It’s just a blood clot, no biggie, hockey is a dangerous sport!” Smh

Archived