Brian’s Optik vs GNetik 4 blocker + Adding Lexan?

Jonathon v

On 1/10/2019 at 7:39 AM, Jonathon v said:

(Just saying I’m trying to get it like the 1s but I don’t want it to weight more than 1s) Alright so I got the colors. I’m getting gnetik 4 and having them do the optik graphics. I will likely put lexan in if it doesn’t make it weigh over 2 pounds which it might. I was wondering what do I ask them to do like how Anderson does his blockers because I’m gonna do that. What do I tell the guy at jerrys? Do I ask him to add extra padding like Craig Anderson. @TheGoalNet I was watching your stream and your probably not surprised it was me asking about the padding :) I want to get it as close to the 1s as possible so what did you ask them? I know Anderson gets 1 piece of extra padding and you get 2 so ima get 2. Anything else besides lexan to make it more like the 1s though?

@TheGoalNet I’m gonna order my blocker either tomorrow or Monday and I need to know what to ask for in the specs, what did you ask them when you got the 2 extra pieces of padding in the blocker to match what Craig Anderson does? Also what do I ask them for lexan, do  I jus ask them to put lexan in the blocker l. Besides that is there anything you did on your blocker to reduce a little weight on the gnetik 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @TheGoalNet do you have an idea of if it would be possible to ask this one my gnetik 4 blocker: 2 extra Anderson spec padding, 1 piece sidewall, lexan, and beveled sidewall. Mostly I’m wondering if it’s possible to have lexan and a beveled sidewall, that way I can get a little lighter and also some nicer rebounds. I would ask someone at jerrys but I’m at school right now and I have to leave for hockey as soon as I get home 

1 hour ago, Jonathon v said:

Hey @TheGoalNet do you have an idea of if it would be possible to ask this one my gnetik 4 blocker: 2 extra Anderson spec padding, 1 piece sidewall, lexan, and beveled sidewall. Mostly I’m wondering if it’s possible to have lexan and a beveled sidewall, that way I can get a little lighter and also some nicer rebounds. I would ask someone at jerrys but I’m at school right now and I have to leave for hockey as soon as I get home 

You are better off just ordering an Optik with a GNetik 4 skin

Optik Blocker

2 Extra Anderson Spec

Lexan board

GNetik IV Graphic

Hey @TheGoalNet sorry to bother you but I was talking to a guy on the goalie monkey chat and he told me brians won’t add lexan because it’s heavy and doesn’t help. I know it’s not super heavy cause stock gnetik is prob 1.7 pounds or something and yours with lexan is only 1.98. Also from your standpoint, I know stock gnetik has harder rebounds than optik. Are the rebounds harder on your gnetik because of the lexan, or just because the gnetik has harder foams

1 hour ago, Jonathon v said:

Hey @TheGoalNet sorry to bother you but I was talking to a guy on the goalie monkey chat and he told me brians won’t add lexan because it’s heavy and doesn’t help. I know it’s not super heavy cause stock gnetik is prob 1.7 pounds or something and yours with lexan is only 1.98. Also from your standpoint, I know stock gnetik has harder rebounds than optik. Are the rebounds harder on your gnetik because of the lexan, or just because the gnetik has harder foams

Honestly, the GM chat people dont have the most info. I asked them if it was true that you could close the optik 2 different ways and they said no, i went on Insta and DMD brians and they said yeah.

Brians does literally anything when you go custom, You can get whatever you want from them

27 minutes ago, Max27 said:

Honestly, the GM chat people dont have the most info. I asked them if it was true that you could close the optik 2 different ways and they said no, i went on Insta and DMD brians and they said yeah.

Brians does literally anything when you go custom, You can get whatever you want from them

@Jonathon v - Max is pretty right here and this is why many people are leery of big box stores. Brian's will do Lexan if you ask.

I have NOT used a stock GNetik IV blocker, so I can't compare my spec to stock. However, I can share that Brian's helps me with my specs. I said I wanted the hottest rebounds possible and lexan was suggested.

I had a P2 and 1S at Pure Goalie last weekend. P2 is the same weight as Optik and 1S is heavier in my hand that P2. So if you like 1S weight, I wouldn't be worried about Lexan.

Lastly, I would consider a to call The Goalie Crease to order your Brian's. They know the specs better than anyone and ordering in Canada saves you money right now  @TGC-Rance

@Jonathon v I just read earlier (mainly bc i was confused as to why youre so hung up over blocker weight) but if you want a lighter/ the lightest blocker, to my knowledge, the R/G4 is currently the lightest on the market. Also has great adjustability and has a hypercomp face which is an infused plastic material, it will give rebounds likely similar to that of a Lexan board. 

Anyone have an idea what thickness of Lexan Brian’s or Vaughn use? I figured it may be best to get a piece and slap it in my current blocker to see how much different it makes it prior to ordering it in a custom blocker. 

I’m guessing 1/16” or 1/8” at most but anyone who can share firsthand knowledge would be appreciated. 

2 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Anyone have an idea what thickness of Lexan Brian’s or Vaughn use? I figured it may be best to get a piece and slap it in my current blocker to see how much different it makes it prior to ordering it in a custom blocker. 

I’m guessing 1/16” or 1/8” at most but anyone who can share firsthand knowledge would be appreciated. 

Hey could you please respond to this when you have an answer. I was wondering if the lexan is really that helpful and having someone else be putting in their 2 cents would help

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I opened up a Vaughn V2 many years ago and if memory serves, it was 1/8".

They may have recently gone to 1/16" as the new blockers feel much lighter and better balanced on the back of the hand to me.

11 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

3/8"

10 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I opened up a Vaughn V2 many years ago and if memory serves, it was 1/8".

They may have recently gone to 1/16" as the new blockers feel much lighter and better balanced on the back of the hand to me.

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

3/8"

Very surprised about the 3/8” sizing. Rough estimate of Lexan density is 0.04267 lbs/in3... which means that an 8” x 15” x 3/8” blocker board is 1.92002 lbs alone.

I’ll probably go in between at ¼”… or 1.28001 lbs. What will be tricky is taking out as much as I can (existing plastic board and perhaps shave down some foam) without making the blocker loose and sloppy on the back hand as I do like a tight connected feel.

UPDATE: I ordered 2 sheets @ 12" x 24" x 1/8"... this way I can try a 1/8" sheet alone... and if I don't feel it's sufficient I can double it up for the 1/4" thickness. Of course the other elephant in the room is the makeup of the balance of the layers used by Brian's and Vaughn... which are likely different from my CCM Retroflex.

Archived