Straps and Connectors for Modding

itis121

Hey guys. I just wanted to start a thread to help people like me find places to find materials for gear mods. I'm getting the hang of using the sewing machine from fixing rips from my work pants and small mods like additional elastic and nylon pad straps. But i would eventually like to refurbish/reskin my Bauer one60 blocker down the road.

No experience yet ordering from these places yet but they were recommended by the community here and a few other people I talked too on FB groups.

Paw (USA)  -  protectiveathleticwear.com

Fix My Gear (CAN)  -  fixmygear.com

McMaster-Carr (USA)  -  mcmaster.com 

Goalie parts (USA)  -  goalieparts.com

Please add in more.

if you want to save big money, don't buy from hockey industry,  goto Homedepot or home improvement center and walk up and down the aisle and you can pretty

much find what you need.  suspender - check, velcro - check, glue - check, sliding wax ? aka as shoe conditioner - check?, straps - check.

4 minutes ago, DL42 said:

if you want to save big money, don't buy from hockey industry,  goto Homedepot or home improvement center and walk up and down the aisle and you can pretty

much find what you need.  suspender - check, velcro - check, glue - check, sliding wax ? aka as shoe conditioner - check?, straps - check.

I was thinking about that. I was planning on buying Jenpro to attempt making a chin sling for a sm90 but also thought any marine leather would do 

I have had experience Sara at PAW and it was wonderful. I got a custom collar/throat guard from them last Christmas. Since them I have removed my dangler, taken a couple shots the the throat, and had zero issues. The collar/throat guard was kinda heavy but you hardly notice it in the grand scheme of things.

No experience in buying materials though. Sorry. Seems like she could be a reliable source for materials.

Way back on GSBB I published a list of places to buy gear from. No idea of how marine leather compares but if you're looking for Jenpro I'd recommend J.Ennis and Nash (though if anybody wants to be a guinea pig and order some stuff from Alibaba/express be my guest)

The Aforementioned list:

JMS Plastics | orthotic supplies, vinyl covering, sani grinder, insole systems, jms covering material, insole components, covering & cushioning materials, premolds, acrylic composite materials, sani-grinders, neolon expanded fabric, orthotic lab equi these guys have HD and LD foams.

Protective Athletic Wear - Custom Hockey Equipment

Nash Sports Manufacturing They carry just about everything you need for goal equipment, foams, nylons, straps etc. (updated link)

Welcome to MatPlus, Inc. I have worked with MatPlus, Inc and they Carry many types of foam except HD 80, but when I got samples it came with PK 80, maybe a non zote foam that competes with it.

McMaster-Carr these guys carry so many things except plastazote foams, items include plastics for roller slide plates, and other nice materials

http://lmp.mnsi.net/foamandleather.htm these guys carry plastics, foam, and even seemingly have the ability to create those "pop out graphics" that Felix Potvin used in his pads.

strapworks.com as the name suggests these guys carry many types of straps including the "Y" quick release buckles.

Busch & Associates these guys carry Nylon fabrics (400,600,1000,1050) unfortunately minimum orders of 10 yards.

Heavy Duty Fabric, Canvas, Vinyl, Webbing, Mesh, Straps, Grommets, netting -* www.ahh.biz these carry all the nylons of bush associates but don't have minimum orders, appear to be higher priced.

https://www.jennisfabrics.com/jennis-web-core/Home.jef I have used Ennis for the nylon and jenpro they have. Great to work with. Pricing is $59.99 as of march 2012

Webbing and Custom Manufacturer - ACW - American Cord and Webbing these guys carry hardware, Velcro, webbing etc.

Military Spec, Sport Parachute Hardware, Rings, Buckles, Loops, Slides, Snaps, Adjusters, Webbing from DJ Associates, Fort Smith, Arkansas carry hardware.

Nylon Webbing, Polypropylene Webbing, Polyester Webbing, Military Specification Webbing and Tape, Cotton Tape, Pattern Webbing carry buckles, elastics, Velcro etc. 

Technifab, Inc. | Markets & Products carry LD and HD foams, I think there is a minimum order.

The Thread Exchange, Inc. best place in my opinion to get thread, certaintly cheaper.

http://www.tradepostonline.com/products.htm great place to buy the speedy stitcher and replacement needles.

Quality Outdoor Gear, Equipment & Clothing - Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) carry the speedy stitcher, buckles, etc.

INDEX - Welcome To The Web Source Homepage located in BC carry thread, buckles, pretty much the same as strap works.

Rockywoods Outdoor Fabrics These guys contain 420D nylon, 1000D Cordura and Air Knit/3D knit material (to find, search "sandwich mesh"). There is different thicknesses of the Air Knit, not sure which one is used though.

On 12/22/2018 at 10:10 AM, itis121 said:

I got 3/16 shock cord via Amazon from a place called paracord planet. Going to make some HAL straps for my brother. The cord seems stiffer than my hals and his monster suspenders, but we both have been using them for over a year. 20181222_110551.thumb.jpg.994e6e376cc46c7e981aba2616a5f397.jpg

Pick this color by choice?

So first and foremost I'm by no means affiliated w/ this site... I simply stumbled across them and they look to have a good selection of materials for those of us who enjoy tinkering. 

https://www.strapworks.com/default.asp

In particular they have a magnetic buckle that looks to be very similar to the one used by Vaughn on their RRC (professor strap.) The enthusiasm these guys have for what they do is apparent in their videos...

image.png.872d8cf666b1af64e02a4c1d59759e15.png     vs.   image.png.5b64d6cb9ed05de987cf051873582477.png

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/22/2018 at 11:10 AM, itis121 said:

I got 3/16 shock cord via Amazon from a place called paracord planet. Going to make some HAL straps for my brother. The cord seems stiffer than my hals and his monster suspenders, but we both have been using them for over a year.
20181222_110551.thumb.jpg.994e6e376cc46c7e981aba2616a5f397.jpg

I use these guys too for making custom lengths. Excellent quality and heaps of colours available.

Archived