Suggestion Box

TheGoalNet

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/8/2019 at 11:20 AM, Colander said:

I would also like to see all reps, retailers and/or or people who work in the equipment manufacturing business identified as such along with their thumbnail. I know of at least one person on this forum who works for a retailer by that person’s comments, but to a lot of people that probably is not known. To me a guy who works for “X” company comes on as a “generic user” and then holds a specific opinion on brand “X” to me holds a lot less sway than the typical user who doesn’t really have a monetary interest.

I tried to get people to do this from the get go.  A few did and it stuck.  Some did and them have since changed.  Some didn’t at all.  I’d prefer this to be done as well. 

On 4/8/2019 at 8:20 AM, Colander said:

I would also like to see all reps, retailers and/or or people who work in the equipment manufacturing business identified as such along with their thumbnail. I know of at least one person on this forum who works for a retailer by that person’s comments, but to a lot of people that probably is not known. To me a guy who works for “X” company comes on as a “generic user” and then holds a specific opinion on brand “X” to me holds a lot less sway than the typical user who doesn’t really have a monetary interest.

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I tried to get people to do this from the get go.  A few did and it stuck.  Some did and them have since changed.  Some didn’t at all.  I’d prefer this to be done as well.  

I work part-time for a retailer. I do not want to be identified as an employee of the Company on this website because I don't want anyone to think that I am representing the Company.
If I say something controversial, stupid, or downright factually incorrect, it can result in me getting terminated, or even worse, causing damage to the reputation of the Company.
I like my job and I enjoy talking about gear. I'm here on the forum to talk about gear too, and for some unpaid continuing education - but whenever I am here, I am on my own time, expressing my own thoughts. Switching my avatar for the Company logo would scream, "This guy is authorized representative of the Company!", which I am most definitely not.

I'm just a lowly drone, with no real skin in the game. I don't make commission. I'm not privy to sales numbers or any business metrics. All I want is to just put guys in some sweet gear that will benefit their game and provide a great experience/service for the customer.

3 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I work part-time for a retailer. I do not want to be identified as an employee of the Company on this website because I don't want anyone to think that I am representing the Company.
If I say something controversial, stupid, or downright factually incorrect, it can result in me getting terminated, or even worse, causing damage to the reputation of the Company.
I like my job and I enjoy talking about gear. I'm here on the forum to talk about gear too, and for some unpaid continuing education - but whenever I am here, I am on my own time, expressing my own thoughts. Switching my avatar for the Company logo would scream, "This guy is authorized representative of the Company!", which I am most definitely not.

I'm just a lowly drone, with no real skin in the game. I don't make commission. I'm not privy to sales numbers or any business metrics. All I want is to just put guys in some sweet gear that will benefit their game and provide a great experience/service for the customer.

I certainly understand where you’re coming from. The company I work for has a VERY strict social media policy, so I don’t go out of my way to identify who I work for.

It would be different if you were posting AS an employee of that store or even subtly suggesting fellow members to go to your store. I have no idea who you work for. You post as a fellow tender.

I think you should be fine as a private poster as long as you continue to post as a private poster.

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I certainly understand where you’re coming from. The company I work for has a VERY strict social media policy, so I don’t go out of my way to identify who I work for.

It would be different if you were posting AS an employee of that store or even subtly suggesting fellow members to go to your store. I have no idea who you work for. You post as a fellow tender.

I think you should be fine as a private poster as long as you continue to post as a private poster.

Agree with this. @ZeroGravitas - that's fair enough. If a fellow works at Fred's hockey Shop and he comes here extolling it's virtues regularly because it will drive up business, that's where I take issue. Your own personal opinion based on your experiences is always appreciated.

What I am concerned about is context: if someone works for XYZ Padmakers and he is supplying information about that equipment or comparing it to other brands, knowing he is a rep with a vested interest in his own product is important to me. Having said that, if someone openly declares he works for XYZ up front and then goes on to provide information about what makes their product great, I have no problem with that because I have that context.

As an example I know @GoalieTimmy33 represents Passau as it says so in his thumbnail. In that case, I know up front who I am talking to on this forum and I also know he has been super helpful to a number of people on this site - looks like a good setup to me.

1 hour ago, Colander said:

Agree with this. @ZeroGravitas - that's fair enough. If a fellow works at Fred's hockey Shop and he comes here extolling it's virtues regularly because it will drive up business, that's where I take issue. Your own personal opinion based on your experiences is always appreciated.

What I am concerned about is context: if someone works for XYZ Padmakers and he is supplying information about that equipment or comparing it to other brands, knowing he is a rep with a vested interest in his own product is important to me. Having said that, if someone openly declares he works for XYZ up front and then goes on to provide information about what makes their product great, I have no problem with that because I have that context.

As an example I know @GoalieTimmy33 represents Passau as it says so in his thumbnail. In that case, I know up front who I am talking to on this forum and I also know he has been super helpful to a number of people on this site - looks like a good setup to me.

I do have on my member title that I am an Overdrive Blade dealer. Yes, I BEYOND believe in the product, but hope to sell a few pair along the way. 

And you are completely right about all of what you have to say!

On 4/11/2019 at 3:09 AM, ZeroGravitas said:

That’s absolutely fine.  I meant more for the reps who are here to represent their company presence on the site. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stop me if it’s already here somewhere and I just missed it, BUT...

I think being able to bookmark pages/threads would be a handy and helpful feature. Often I’ll read things, while at work for example, and want to go back to them, give them a closer read, or even use them as reference. The search feature is ok, but we’ve got a shit-ton of content now, so it sometime makes it hard to find the “right Brian’s thread” or whatever.

I know other social media platforms have this, so I think this could be easily added...(?)

cheers!

10 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Stop me if it’s already here somewhere and I just missed it, BUT...

I think being able to bookmark pages/threads would be a handy and helpful feature. Often I’ll read things, while at work for example, and want to go back to them, give them a closer read, or even use them as reference. The search feature is ok, but we’ve got a shit-ton of content now, so it sometime makes it hard to find the “right Brian’s thread” or whatever.

I know other social media platforms have this, so I think this could be easily added...(?)

cheers!

That's a great idea.  I was reading a thread at work the other night but didn't finish it before my shift was over.  I don't remember which thread it was as I had been off the following few days.  

12 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's a great idea.  I was reading a thread at work the other night but didn't finish it before my shift was over.  I don't remember which thread it was as I had been off the following few days.  

Right, @TheGoalNet - so now that both @SaveByRichter35 and I praised you in another thread,

...we're gonna need you to go ahead and make this bookmark request a thing.

image.png.6d496950b7892dca2592ce0a1231acf3.png

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, i_miss_itech said:

I'd like to delete my account. Could a mod either activate user functionality to do it, or delete my account for me?

This will get done within the next week. I would not be too concerned about your personal data being breached here. It's your name and email address.

• 2 months later...

Two things:

1. Trying to quote three posts to answer in one response. Two posts are on one page and the third post is on the following page. Can’t get them all to show in my response. 

2. Whenever I go into any thread, it puts me at the top of a page, even when accessing a post by latest activity. 

Any help would be appreciated. I view this site on my iPhone or iPad

Thanks  

17 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Two things:

1. Trying to quote three posts to answer in one response. Two posts are on one page and the third post is on the following page. Can’t get them all to show in my response. 

2. Whenever I go into any thread, it puts me at the top of a page, even when accessing a post by latest activity. 

Any help would be appreciated. I view this site on my iPhone or iPad

Thanks  

1 - As long as you clicked the "+" button to the left of the "quote" "edit" "options" links at the bottom of each post, they should still carry over with you if the 3rd post you want to quote is on the next page of a thread.
TGNscreenshot1.jpg

2 - I always browse the board via the "Unread Content" link found right under the search bar in the upper right portion of the web page.  From there you get a list of all the threads with posts which you have not yet seen.  To get to the first post in each thread that you have yet to read you click the red star(if you have posts in the thread) or the red dot(if you have not posted in the thread) next to the thread title.
TGNscreenshot2.jpg

I spend 99% of my time here on my computer while at work, I seldom use my phone.  With that said, I believe the mobile version works the same way.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2019 at 1:23 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

1 - As long as you clicked the "+" button to the left of the "quote" "edit" "options" links at the bottom of each post, they should still carry over with you if the 3rd post you want to quote is on the next page of a thread.
TGNscreenshot1.jpg

2 - I always browse the board via the "Unread Content" link found right under the search bar in the upper right portion of the web page.  From there you get a list of all the threads with posts which you have not yet seen.  To get to the first post in each thread that you have yet to read you click the red star(if you have posts in the thread) or the red dot(if you have not posted in the thread) next to the thread title.
TGNscreenshot2.jpg

I spend 99% of my time here on my computer while at work, I seldom use my phone.  With that said, I believe the mobile version works the same way.

After much difficulty I did get the multiple posts to quote. 
I do access threads via unread content. However, even selecting the star or dot doesn’t bring me to the most recent unread comment, just the top of the most recent page in the thread. 
I think this site isn’t designed for mobile and that’s why it seems glitchy. Also iOS has been updated recently multiple times and perhaps that is affecting the site’s performance. 
Shouldn’t you be working at work? I got to get one of these jobs many of you have where you can be surfing theGoalnet all day! 😂

Archived